Author Topic: Windows Defender question really worried  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Windows Defender question really worried
« on: December 27, 2016, 08:57:00 PM »
Just wondering if anyone can help, just gone to log on to internet banking and found account suspended, phoned the bank and they say I have malware that has changed details on my account. Last week when I logged on to Halifax it said my memorable word needed updating so I did it, and apparently that was malware looking like my normal Halifax screen which is scary. So account and cards all suspended  >:(

A few years ago when I had Norton security I had a screen saying I needed to do a full scan and that was also malware which infected my computer, it looked genuine to me.  I heard lots of people fell for that and I stopped using norton.

Ok so now I am really paranoid and worried done a full scan with windows defender and got a screen that I haven't seen before saying defender needs to 'clean pc' It looks genuine, but then so did the Halifax page last week...
On my iPad I have googled images of the screen and it looks ok but usually Defender puts viruses etc into quarantine and then you remove them from the computer, I have never been asked to clean computer before and don't want to fall prey to yet another scam.

Sorry for the long question but really not sure what to do, has anyone used Defender and been asked to clean pc ?

I'm not pressing anything till I am sure what to do  :dunno:

Online MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Windows Defender question really worried
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 09:15:50 PM »
Advast sometimes throws this at you. It is usually another service offered by your security and they charge you if you decide to go through with it.  I ignore it.
my windows defender is turned off and I use Advast ( free). you can upgrade the service but I find it okay. after a year when they ask for a fee to continue, just cancel and re install the free version.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----