Author Topic: Whats wrong!!  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
Whats wrong!!
« on: March 31, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »
My computer went funny an hour ago..it just cut out but the start light remained on flashing and making clicking noises..the only way I could turn it off was by the mains and when I've tried to start it again all I get is the start light flashing and clicking... I'm on OH's laptop at the moment and I am not used to this thing at all...
I miss my PC....Can anyone help as to what is wrong with my machine..Please...
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Re: Whats wrong!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 10:02:46 AM »
sorry no help im afraid im useless with computers, but it is april fools day.... ph34r :005: :005:

Will ask james wen he gets bak
Kate x
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 10:51:18 AM »
April fools Oh No!! :o....

Thanks for reply and much appreciate you asking James....sooo lost without my PC ..

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 10:57:58 AM »
James says it sounds like the hardrive has gone in it, the clicking noise is it trying to engage.
If it is that any info on  ur hard drive will have been lost...sorry to be the bearer of bad news

To c if it is the hardrive, u need to take the side off ur box and disconnect the hard drive, if it is still clicking wen you try to turn it on then it isnt your hard drive, its something else that is tripping it. if it stops making a clicking noise once youve disconnected the hard drive and tried to turn it on, then ur hard drives knackered!
If you need anymore help pm us and ill get james to help!!  ph34r hes gone out agen!
Kate 
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 11:03:40 AM »
Hi, If it is as Jim, says the hard drive, don't worry too much at this stage.

Some data from Hard drives can be restores. There is special software available to do this.   Its not something you can do yourself really, but computer fix shops can do it.

Heres hoping you are very good and back up all your data, as we all do...?? ........... ( NOT )

Lets hope its not that !!!
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 11:16:37 AM »
Thanks for that..  ;)
Thought may be something like that :huh: this PC ic only 16 months old ....always had a bit of a problem with it and when we took it in for checkup they said it was fine ..even though I knew something was not quite right ...my old PC was so much better...
Strangly this last few days on start up of windows it was saying RUNDLE system (i think that was it) was not able to load and then box for files system32 came up :-\...sorry not very technical.

I do have back up of most things but this last couple of weeks I have slacked ......so now gone fo ever :huh:

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 12:45:35 PM »
Just looking at other posts and Lynpate had a similar problem ...mine too is a Packard Bell and just checked ...our warrentry ran out the end of February...In January I rang the helpdesk about this PC not seeming right they went through a few things over the phone and I had to click this and tick that they said all seems fine.. yet a few weeks later here I am with probably a knackered PC...
Do they put a chip in these so they break down at a certain time ...then they can catch you out and charge huge repair fees or hope you buy another.... nag and say you should have extended your warrentry..
Our old PC a different make which we still have is now 4 years old and we never had a problem with it my OH
still uses it in his office.....

Sorry to rant but am really peeed off  >:(

.......I would never by a Packard Bell again.....

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 07:06:37 PM »
Packard Bell  :o :o  we bought the children one of those and I feel like throwing it in the bin, in fact OH is stripping it down and replacing each part piece by piece, it is soooooo slow!!

My motherboard went on my Sony pc just before christmas, sounds exactly like you are describing, I had a message on my screen saying no connection, check cables  :huh:  Thankfully my OH knows a man that can, it was repaired and back up and running in a couple of weeks (most places shut for replacement parts over christmas)

Hopefully yours won't be anything too expensive either

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 07:10:18 PM »
Just looking at other posts and Lynpate had a similar problem ...mine too is a Packard Bell and just checked ...our warrentry ran out the end of February...In January I rang the helpdesk about this PC not seeming right they went through a few things over the phone and I had to click this and tick that they said all seems fine.. yet a few weeks later here I am with probably a knackered PC...
Do they put a chip in these so they break down at a certain time ...then they can catch you out and charge huge repair fees or hope you buy another.... nag and say you should have extended your warrentry..
Our old PC a different make which we still have is now 4 years old and we never had a problem with it my OH
still uses it in his office.....

Sorry to rant but am really peeed off  >:(

.......I would never by a Packard Bell again.....

Its only the end of March now, i would defo call up and speak tot hem, stating you made them aware of problems prior tot e warrenty running out. They should look at it being so close tot he date.

If no luck, get the email, or telephone number for the MD, and contact them directly. Its amazing the difference.

Don't let this go !!!!!
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 07:39:26 PM »
Packard Bell  :o :o  we bought the children one of those and I feel like throwing it in the bin, in fact OH is stripping it down and replacing each part piece by piece, it is soooooo slow!!

Try a Google Groups search on "Packard Bell" - you will see that you are definitely not alone  ::)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 10:46:54 PM »
I know it wasn't top spec, but we still paid just over £600 for it, my sister bought a new one this week from Dell......amazing offer P4 processor, 512mb DDR RAM, 160GB hard drive, 17" TFT monitor......all for £249 + £60 delivery charge.....but still only just over £300, it's very fast, quiet nothing like my Packard Bell  >:(

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 10:49:43 PM »
Yep !! Dell Are very good. My next Laptop will be a Dell.

CATHY

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »
We will see what we can sort out on Monday   :-\....if it is expensive to fix then defo be looking at Dell...

Ours wasn't top spec either but over £500 just for the base unit and keyboard we bought the monitor seperate and at the time seemed fine for what I wanted ..
this lap top of OH's is much faster than the Packard Bell..can't get on with the key pad though I keep missing letters out.....and no it's not anything to do with my spelling ::)...

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 01:07:19 PM »
just caught up with this post.firstly don't bother trying to get pb to help.they won't.
secondly i was very lucky and it only cost 160 pounds to repair from a man in the markrt.it worked fine for a few weeks but now i cannot do a full recovery and it takes nearly ten minutes to load up when i start it.it's getting slower by the day and doing my head in.i will never buy a pb again.i am now looking at dell and may treat myself in the summer.
when my pc broke i don't remember it making any sound at all in fact apart from the on light flashing for a milisecond when switching it on it was dead which is why we thought it was the power supply unit(which we had changed anyway coz pb had put one in that was to small).
hope you get it sorted soon.
lyn

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 01:29:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply Lyn :blink:

Thats right their helpdesk wasn't much use back in January they said it must be a software problem and to do a system restore...we were not happy with that so that same day we took the unit into PC world where we purchased it so they could check it for us ...which they didn't do...just said to do  system restore back to factory condition...and that was still when it was under warrentry..... really think they were stalling us

It did seem to be better after doing SR but still had its funny quirks that was hard to pinpoint..you just know when something is not right.....

The start light remains flashing on mine with a ticking noise and can only be turned off at the mains >:(