Author Topic: seaweed?  (Read 847 times)

Offline mitches

seaweed?
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:52:14 PM »
Is it ok for dogs to eat a little seaweed at the beach?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: seaweed?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »
She might throw it up later or have diarrhoea, depending on how much she's eaten, but it shouldn't do any real harm. I think I'd be trying not to let her eat it in future, but I know how difficult it is to stop them eating everything when they're determined.

Was it definitely seaweed? I don't know where you are but a few areas, mainly south coast and south west I think, had a problem a while ago with white or yellow lumps of palm oil being washed up on beaches. It's attractive to some dogs and can cause serious illness or death. I haven't heard of any instances in the last few weeks, but thought you should be aware, just to be on the safe side.

My older Cocker, William, had an upset stomach after eating a very dead crab at a beach many years ago. He'd already eaten some before I realised what he was doing and got the rotting remains off him :020:

Offline mitches

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »
It was on a beach in St Andrews lots of black seaweed. Our puppy was determinded to eat some, but I had read somewhere about it being poisoness maybe that is the palm oil stuff.
We also had to pull a crabs leg out of her mouth!

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
It isn't a good idea to let your dog eat seaweed as it can expand in their stomachs to many times its original size.  There's an article about it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/pets/10175639/Dog-owners-warned-of-lethal-dangers-of-dried-up-seaweed.html

It depends if the seaweed is dry or already wet and how much a dog eats.

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:28:42 PM »
It isn't a good idea to let your dog eat seaweed as it can expand in their stomachs to many times its original size.  There's an article about it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/pets/10175639/Dog-owners-warned-of-lethal-dangers-of-dried-up-seaweed.html

It depends if the seaweed is dry or already wet and how much a dog

Thats the article that was written by Glen who is Cupar's vet.

Offline ruby n millies mum

• ruby and millies mum
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »
now im confused , just convince myself it was the heat from the first thread i have just read...im not sure if they eat any seaweed they were playing tug o' war with some wide green seaweed, not sure what type, no spots though.

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 09:01:36 PM »
I thought it was dangerous as difficult to digest

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 09:57:21 PM »
Certain types of seaweed are perfectly suited for human consumption, especially laver which is native to certain coasts of the UK.

Once gathered the seaweed is boiled for several hours before the addition of olive oil, lemon juice and pepper. It has a taste and consistency much like spinach and is very tasty indeed. One of the highlights of my childhood was gathering large amounts of it from the rocks around Fontygary, St. Mary's Well Bay and Sully Island which my mum prepared and served either on toast or included in a loaf like laver cake.

Bob.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 06:53:26 PM »
I've bought dried seaweed from health shop, and boiled it up, its surprising how much it can expand. It was for the dogs instead of kelp tablets, but it was pretty much a complete waste of money.....and being perfectly honest I didn't blame them for refusing it!
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.