Author Topic: recommendations, please, for a special harness  (Read 765 times)

Offline zenon_bass

recommendations, please, for a special harness
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:17:06 AM »
I'm on the look out for a special harness for Millie.  Can any one help, please?

Millie has some fatty lumps in her armpit which now become sore when any ordinary harness is used, even a padded one.  I'm reluctant to use a collar, other than for ID purposes, as she makes horrible coughing noises when any tension is put on it.  I remember my sister's setter having a throat op. for collapsed trachea, so Millie's coughing makes me cautious.

I've considered halti type head collars, but can't see this working, due to her reaction when a muzzle was tried for a short period.

Any new harness would have to have the body strap as far back as poss, probably just after her ribs...
Does anyone know of one, please? Any suggestions?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: recommendations, please, for a special harness
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:14:34 AM »
I don't know of any, but it might be worth you contacting Dog Games http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness to see if they can help.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:37:59 AM »
these ones are expensive but they do sit away from the armpit - we have one for Jarv when he does the odd 'town' trip (he's fine on a slip lead in the country but for some reason pulls if we take him into town  :huh:  He has a fatty lump under his front left shoulder so I needed something that sat away from it  ;)

http://www.dog-and-bone.co.uk/featured-items/haqihana-harness

here's one being worn - it sits like this on Jarvis  ;)

http://www.gladmedhund.no/Seler.html

helen & jarvis x

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 02:25:54 PM »
We use the same type of harness as Helen suggested before. The belly strap is adjustable, so you just make sure it's long enough to be away from his arm pits.

My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
 :clapping:
Thank you everyone!  I knew COL would come up trumps!
The Haqihana harness looks as if it would fit the purpose; however I  will take Millie to the vet first as her lump is changing...   >:(

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »
Keep us posted - fingers crossed it's just getting bigger and can be easily removed.  The harness is ridiculously expensive for what it is but it is really good and does not go anywhere near his lump.  I also think it would be good for dogs who get matted easily as there's nothing much to catch on and nowhere near their 'pits'  ;)

Jarv has a plastic surgery list at the vet if he has to have a GA for anything - fatty lump, a wart and a skin tag all to come off as well.  Wish my GP would operate this kind of system  :lol2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »
Thanks, Helen!
My vet has indicated that it's just a fatty lump.  As Millie is 12 1/2 yrs, vet  is hesitant about getting her into surgery.  Vet said that she would operate if I wished, but wouldn't do so on her own spaniels in the same situation...   
Generally M is happy and doesn't seem overly bothered by the lump.