Author Topic: Separating issues when out and about...  (Read 440 times)

Offline Doogers

• Donator
Separating issues when out and about...
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:45:43 AM »
Hi All,

We have a slight issue with Indie at the moment when we all go out as a family. Basically if we separate i.e. the OH goes into a shop and Indie and I wait outside she starts getting herself worked up. She starts to pull after the OH which then turns into a yelp/bark when she is restrained. It takes some comforting and distracting to take her mind off the missing person. The only real way to deal with the situation is to walk Indie off in another direction. I might add that exactly the same happens if I’m the one going into the shop and OH waits with Indie.

Any ideas what we can do to help with this???

Thanks
Chris

Asia 31/1/2002-24/1/2011

Offline JamiesGirl

Re: Separating issues when out and about...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:13:56 AM »
Clicker training can help with this kind of issue, there's lots of different ways you could do it but the way I would, would be to teach a watch me/look at me cue. High quality treats likes sausage or chicken can help to ensure her attention diverts to whoever is staying with her rather than whoever is leaving. If she gets these tasty treats for being still and quiet whenever somebody leaves she will associate someone leaving with a good thing rather than it being bad and stressful for her. Hope this helps x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾

Offline Doogers

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:57:30 AM »
Thanks JamiesGirl,

I think I'll try the high value treat angle next time. I currently only use her normal dry treats to keep her attention but guess something a bit more tasty will hopefully work better!

Asia 31/1/2002-24/1/2011

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »
If you use a treat that she doesn't get for anything else. Just for this training then it should work quiet quickly :) because then the treat is really really special as she doesn't get it for anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾