Author Topic: Food....again.  (Read 521 times)

Offline Jack2meg

Food....again.
« on: April 23, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »
If you have read my previous posts, you will see im really struggling now,
Jasper was on bakers (yuk) when we had him, got him off that onto Burns puppy, this wasnt satisfying him and also found out after from help on here theres nothing in it,
I went on feeding website which is really helpful and chose the number 1 rated.,,.Orijen which is very expensive.
He has nearly eaten the 2kg bag and is a lot more settled but now he seems to be scratching and biting hiself all the time. Should I get another bag of this or change again,? If I change it, which should I get?

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
Re: Food....again.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 05:07:31 PM »
Change to raw, as los of us do.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 05:12:34 PM »
If you have read my previous posts, you will see im really struggling now,
Jasper was on bakers (yuk) when we had him, got him off that onto Burns puppy, this wasnt satisfying him and also found out after from help on here theres nothing in it,
I went on feeding website which is really helpful and chose the number 1 rated.,,.Orijen which is very expensive.
He has nearly eaten the 2kg bag and is a lot more settled but now he seems to be scratching and biting hiself all the time. Should I get another bag of this or change again,? If I change it, which should I get?

Is there anything environmental that could cause it? Nettles etc? I take it you've checked him for fleas etc. He may have food intolerances, or he may just be adjusting to changes in his diet. How long has he been on Orijen for? Wainwrights do a grain-free kibble, and I've heard good things about Eden, although it can be a bit rich for some dogs.

Offline Jack2meg

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »
Hes been on orijen for about 3 to 4 weeks. I dont think he has been by nettles but he does eat daisies when we walk, and grass, he has a flea dose off the vet every month?

Offline Fluff

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 05:41:06 PM »
If the itching has only started with Orijen, and wasn't happening on Burns, then I'd consider switching him to something else as there might be something that isn't suiting him in the Orijen food.

I just ask about the nettles as Daisy was going a bit nuts chewing and biting her paws after walks until I realised she was walking over nettles, didn't even cross my mind!

Offline Jack2meg

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 05:44:21 PM »
Now youve mentioned paws....he has walked through them. Would that cause him to itch all over?

Offline Fluff

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 05:46:59 PM »
Daisy's was just localised to the paws. If it's coincided with the food being changed, I'd think it's more likely that, especially if it's constant.

Offline Jack2meg

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 05:49:25 PM »
Thanks for advice

Offline Jack2meg

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »
I did spray him with a waterless shampoo for puppies. It is perfumed with coconut and vanilla. It says its supposed to soothe the skin as it has aloe in it,?

Offline Fluff

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
I did spray him with a waterless shampoo for puppies. It is perfumed with coconut and vanilla. It says its supposed to soothe the skin as it has aloe in it,?

Did that coincide with the itching starting? It may be he's allergic to something in that if so, avoid using it and see if it improves. I use Groomers spray for Daisy and that's had no ill effects so far.