Author Topic: Natural instinct - anyone else dogs gone off this recently  (Read 1339 times)

Offline deano

• Site Member
Natural instinct - anyone else dogs gone off this recently
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
Our 3 changed to this last year and loved it but the past 3 weeks after getting the latest batch 2 of the boys are going round the bowl smelling it, stepping back going near the bowl again and not touching it, Frankie will after a few minutes of realising there is nothing else will eat it but so slow whereas he used to race to finish the lot, Alfie does the same then walks away to lay down, sometimes he can be coaxed back but will only eat it if I put it on a plastic spoon and then won't finish it. A few times they have both refused altogether as Alfie did this morning so went without food.  Just wondered if anyone else had similar issue or maybe the consistency has changed recently.

Offline Murphys Law

Re: Natural instinct - anyone else dogs gone off this recently
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 12:24:45 PM »
Murphy does exactly the same with his NI. Some days he will eat his bowl full in seconds and other days he will have a sniff and leave it. He will eventually eat it when nothing better comes his way.

This weekend we were at the caravan in porthmadog with my SIL and her springer and cavalier. They are fed on tinned pedigree chum :P and Murphy wouldn't touch his NI and just wanted the tinned stuff. They nearly had a big fight over it. >:(

When we got home he wouldn't touch anything. He is back eating his NI again now though.

I think it is like eating health food all the time and then someone puts a plate of Big Macs in front of you. I know which one I would rather eat.

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »
 :lol: that's so typical .. My other two we're acting the same last year when Frankie was so ill and eating chicken rice and fish every meal .. It maybe as you say they are just playing up it's just unusual because Frankie loves food of any kind and will scoff it down really quickly so this is strange the way he is acting and Alfie used to be very picky and leave food when he was on dry biscuits but when we changed to NI we could believe how he lapped it up. He hasn't eaten again this morning so his food went back in the fridge. Same last week and the vet said he had a slight temperature but after them taking blood tests they all came back. Or all yesterday.

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »
That should have said all came back normal yesterday.

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:10:42 PM »
Yep, Daisy point blank stopped eating her NI a few months ago. I switched her to Wolf Tucker and she's eaten it every day. I gave her some NI last week to try use up stuff in freezer but again she wouldn't eat it, which is odd as she will eat anything usually! I wondered if something had changed as she ate it fine before,  but one day we got a new batch delivered and just nope, even trying the different flavours.  She's not a picky dog in general so there's obviously something about it she really doesn't like. It's the only thing she's ever refused to eat.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:11:39 PM »
My 2 are eating it as enthusiastically as ever and I haven't noticed any changes in the ingredients, appearance or texture. They have it for about half their meals and DIY raw for the other half so that they have different textures of meat, typically things like chicken backs, duck necks, whole lamb hearts, chunks of meat, oily fish etc.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 02:50:43 PM »
Ours are still eating their NI v enthusiastically - no changes at all that I can see (one doesn't like the Turkey but he gobbles down every other variety I've ordered)
Jane

Offline deano

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 07:04:34 PM »
 :blink: thanks for coming back to me, it's so strange not had this before, it's more strange because the last batch was delivered without warning and had been outside the garage for quite a while so maybe that was it but it's so odd they are both not wanting to eat. Louis is in hills special tin food at the moment because he has crystals in his bladder so if he was refusing there would def be a problem as he eats anything.  Frankie has again walked back and forth towards the bowl and eventually given in and ate it and Alfie refused until I coaxed him with it in a spoon ...

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »
We had an order that was held up by the courier for quite a while and had partially defrosted but most trays were still ok - think it would have to be outside a long time for a delivery to go off totally. We've got another delivery due tomorrow so will let you know if there are any noticeable changes ;)
Jane

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 11:04:40 PM »
I've had half a tray go off and believe me, if one was off you would know about it. I nearly threw up when I opened it.

What I have noticed about NI is that the consistency can change from tray to tray. Some can be quite dry and others can be very sloppy.