Author Topic: What is wrong with Burns?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Charlie Pup

• Donator
  • Working Cocker Charlie
What is wrong with Burns?
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
I've read on here a couple of times recently that Burns puppy isn't very good and was after some opinions.

Charlie had a sensitive tummy, the vets think it is a bit of colitis and he will probably grow out of it by 12 months.  When we got him in October he came with the breeders working puppy mix that he has specially made but this was causing an upset so he went onto Royal Canin GI wet and dry until we could settle his tum.  He was then gradually moved onto James Wellbeloved but after being on this for 6-8 weeks he started being sick and have runny stools, so under the vets advice he went back on the Royal Canin GI and he improved overnight, coat shiny, weight going on and decent stools. 

I am now in the process of changing him to burns puppy and am doing so over a course of 3 weeks, this being the end of week one, but I am wondering if I have made a mistake now.

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
Re: What is wrong with Burns?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:52:07 PM »
Burns Puppy Chicken and Rice gets a good enough rating here:

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0037/burns-puppy-original

I suspect some people might object to the volume of rice and the inclusion of oats, but it's not a bad food at all.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:32 PM »
It is not a bad food at all - in fact one of the better ones.  However, like any food, it will not suit every dog and it does have a bit of a reputation for not being great at putting weight on dogs.  Some of the really good quality kibbles do not suit some dogs and some dogs do really well on the "lower quality" ones - it is about finding a food that suits your particular dog.

Basically, if it suits Charlie, then I would not worry about it  ;)  I would persevere now and see how he gets on with it - if he does well on it, then no problem  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:35 PM »
Brodie did brilliant on the Burns adult food ;). The only reason I took her off it is after about a year she completely refused to eat it. As said, what suits one dog won't necessarily suit another.

Brodie now suffers on and off from colitis after a bout of pancreatitis, so I know how hard it can be to settle on the right food xxx

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »
My dog has been on Burns since she was a pup, she is 6 now and part raw fed, part Burns and i have never had any problems.

Its like any food, some will suit one dog and not another. I have read a few people say their dog loses weight on Burns but thrives on another high end food such as Barking Heads whereas i tried Ruby on Barking Heads (free bag) and because it was so rich it upset her stomach so badly she pooed blood and her anal glands have never been the same since.

I think there are far worse foods you could be giving your puppy than Burns.  ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Charlie Pup

• Donator
  • Working Cocker Charlie
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 08:39:53 PM »
Feel a little more reassured now, the vets told us to do it gradually and any sign switch immediately back and then try again once settled. I could keep on Royal Canin GI but don't really fancy doing this and as this one is only supplied by the vets it's the best part of £50 a fortnight!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:28:07 PM »
There's nothing wrong with Burns (my cats sometimes have their dry food) but it doesn't suit all dogs - mine were either too hungry or too thin on it, which is why I changed
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Charlie Pup

• Donator
  • Working Cocker Charlie
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:37:32 PM »
I will keep an eye on that, he's very tall and doesn't put weight on easily so any sign of  loosing any weight or runny poop or being too hungry (he's a ganet!) I will definitely switch.