Author Topic: Dog doesn't seem himself after holiday.  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Gazrob

Dog doesn't seem himself after holiday.
« on: May 30, 2018, 07:43:51 AM »
Hi I've been abroad on holiday for two weeks. I left my dog with a dog sitter for two weeks in a different house. I arrived home late last night so excited to see him. However he doesn't seem happy. He came to see me for a couple of minutes then he went back to his bed. He is still in his bed this morning. I'm a little upset and concerned. Is he depressed? Tired? He just doesn't seem happy to see me.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Dog doesn't seem himself after holiday.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 08:44:57 AM »
He could be tired, so much different going on at dog sitters etc., give him a few days to settle back into his & your normal routines, hopefully he will buck up  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Mina

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 10:42:52 AM »
Oh no! I am off on a two week holiday next week myself, and I have been dreading it for a while now. It will be the first time I am leaving Mina at the dog sitter's for more than 2 days. This is exactly the kind of reaction I am afraid of...

Hope your boy gets back to normal quick smart! Keep us posted please!

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:47:56 AM »
I've left him before last year for a week with the same person and he seemed OK however this time he's staying away from me. I was worried the whole trip so much so that I'm not going to go away again this year like I normally do. Last night I was so disappointed I was so excited to see him and yet he seemed disinterested. I've spoke to the lady who runs the dog boarding company and she said its normal. I'll give it a day or two and if I see no change I'll send him to vets. Your dog might be fine who knows.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
I‘d say its normal Gazrob, my previous dogs, who always had to stay in kennels (until GB finally decided to lift the quarantine regulations! ) and that was the homecoming I often got too, I used to feel quite offended!  :lol2:, however I also agree with Mudmagnets, he could be tired. , If he‘s not back to normal in a couple of days though, it might be an idea to check with the vet that everything is ok incase he‘s picked something up.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »
Yeah if he is no different in a couple of days I'll take him to vet. I was also quite offended he's been on my mind for two weeks and he would rather be in another room in his crate he's normally always near me getting lots of cuddles. Anyway he's eating and my mother has come over and he's perked up a bit but he always gets excited when she comes over he's all over her like a rash as I've mentioned before. I'll see what happens when she goes home. I've never seen him like this as he's always happy and bouncing off the walls. I can see in his eyes that he's not happy with me.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 11:37:16 AM »
When I left mine last August, he did exactly the same. I reckon they are just so clever they are just getting back at us. They are probably thinking 'you left me so I am in a grump now'
He will be back to his normal self in a few days.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
Hi guys just a short update. Marley seems to be coming round. He spent last night with me and he's currently on the sofa with me. He was in his Crate again this morning for an hour or so. Had him out for a few walks I think that's cheered him up a bit. so it's taken about 24 to 36 hours for him to get back to nearly normal. Mina try not to worry too much. He might be upset with you for a day or two then again he might be totally fine.

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 12:17:40 PM »
Not a dog but the cat will sit with Her back to us for hours when We return from being away even though She absolutely adores the neighbour who looks after Her.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »
Hi guys just a short update. Marley seems to be coming round. He spent last night with me and he's currently on the sofa with me. He was in his Crate again this morning for an hour or so. Had him out for a few walks I think that's cheered him up a bit. so it's taken about 24 to 36 hours for him to get back to nearly normal. Mina try not to worry too much. He might be upset with you for a day or two then again he might be totally fine.

Ah great news :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
We left our jarck russelll with my mum for a week whilst on hols, so,looking forward to seeing him again. We rushed in, he gave us a dirty look, and for half an hour he sat facing the wall and wouldn't look at us. Sure you dog will be OK soon and forgive you  :005:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »
Marley is now back to his normal self. I left him with someone he doesn't know too well. Unfortunately my mother will not look after him as she has other responsibilities and she finds him hard work. She will only look after him for a few hours. He apparently had a great time while I was away so I'm not too concerned about that I was just a little upset that he was funny with me when I was very excited to see him.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 08:47:08 PM »
That's good, business as usual is what we want.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 09:33:47 PM »
we have been to MIL's for a few days. While there we went out without Gemma . She spent all evening sitting at the door . When we got back she was excited to see us, kisses and hugs, then she turned her back and went to lie in her basket .  Normal service was resumed at bedtime  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Mina

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 07:58:41 AM »

Good to hear! Will try not to worry, although I'm pretty sure I'll be thinking of her non stop while she is having fun with her doggie friends...