Author Topic: Have your dogs ever injured each other playing too rough  (Read 791 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Have your dogs ever injured each other playing too rough
« on: May 29, 2006, 08:19:54 AM »
Had a panic this morning with my two. After our walk each morning I let them off their leads at the end of the driveway and they bolt up the drive to the gate and wait for me to let them in  they go nuts jumping on each other or rather Iddy goes nuts and leaps all over him . This happened this morning but then Kody starts yelping and almost screaming  :o :o I looked and he would'nt put his front leg down and I thought his leg was dislocated ( could just of been me panicking) so I'm rubbing his leg/shoulder he lets out a couple more whimpers then gives me a kiss on my chin then runs off jumping up and down as usual. They always play so rough, Kody is now the same size as Indy and probably almost the same weight. How do I stop her being rough on him or do I put it down to a freak accident and him a bit of a sook. Just got home from work and he does'nt flinch when patted on the shoulder completly weight bearing so no problem apparent and he's dug a hole in the garden. She is getting a bit rougher with him lately I was ignoring them thinking he is now 6 months maybe its her reminding him he is second dog she has mad him yelp a few times but not like this morning.

Help please worried about naughty Indy
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: Have your dogs ever injured each other playing too rough
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 08:51:18 AM »
Yes - it does happen in the same way kids sometimes play too rough and it ends in tears ;)

As long as the injury isn't serious or frequent I'd just leave them to it as long as they are playing and not fighting ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 10:09:27 AM »
Our dogs enjoy playing rough especially when it's time for them to go out for their walk. They chase each round the garden whilst I'm trying to get them in the car & Spike rolls Domino over & over & then jumps on him .Having said that it's always Domino who provokes Spike into chasing him; Spike is incredibly tolerant as he gets his ears nipped & Domino grabs him by either his neck or his collar & has frequently made him yelp!! :huh:

I do try to intercept them when it gets too rough as Spike is twice Domino's height & weight & could damage him without meaning to!! ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline Rob6014

• Site Member
  • Corky Sherwood Forest
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 12:31:41 AM »
When I first got my pup, she had a long gash on the inside of one ear. I would have been horrified, only I had seen her from the time she was a tiny baby crawling over her sleeping sibling until she found the biggest one, then biting him until he cried. I figured she had probably deserved it. (Aren't I mean!)  :005: (It cleared up completely and there is no scar.)

My last Cocker, Delly, was much more of a sook than Corky the rough-nut. Once a German Shepherd pup rushed up to her in a playful way, and before it touched her, she dropped to the ground and screamed. The GS's owners rushed up and began chastising (there was a smack in there too) their dog for; "Hurting the poor doggie...", then they made a big fuss of Delly, who lapped up the attention. I had to tell them that their pup had not actually touched the 'poor doggie'...  :005: Whenever Delly got hurt she would come to mummy to pat it better. If she got a prickle in her paw she would hold her paw up to me to make it all better.  :005: Some Cockers are more woosy than others...  :lol:

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 02:26:09 AM »
Thanks all for replys and Rob yes I do think Kody is very much a sook!!!!! I've never heard a dog cry and whimper like he can, he cries when he is happy and cries when he is put in the laundy on his own (while I train Indy) cries when in the garden on his own while I take Indy to agility, and can howl like he's being beaten when left in the car then jumps out tail wagging with that look " new you would come" I've had people tell me he is panicing you can't leave him like that but I've learnt his act and try not to react. He has improved alot no more howling in the car, and cries only when he can see me while training Indy so I completely ignor him. While they are playing and if it does get rough if I'm in the garden then I come inside dont say a word they stop instantly looking around for me and have so far not continued when I look out of the window and if they are inside then they get put outside. I think they like an audience maybe showing me who's next in line >:( He does also come and sit with me knowing if I think Indy's get too rough I will tell her off but my husband noticed that while he is sitting on me acting the angel mummy protect me from bad Indy he's the one baring his teeth at her and getting her going and then giving me those sad eyes  :luv: she's getting me again mum :D  Its always the quiet ones to watch little monkey really had me worried yesterday.  :005: Lucky they are soooo cute  they really are like 2 year old kids gotta watch them like a hawk always into trouble.
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 07:17:43 AM »
My Brodie is a wimp too :005:, although he's the one that torments Molly ::).  When he was a pup I was terrified that Molly would damage him in some way, but the more I watched the more I realised that he starts most of the trouble and makes the most noise about it too.  They sound like savages when they're playing and normally I leave them to it.  Only occasionally will I step in and distract them (just like I would with the kids) so that things don't escalate.  I'm sure Kody wasn't properly hurt, but was just practicing that age-old cocker-talent for getting attention. :D
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 11:31:12 AM »
Jock (black lab 7 yrs) and Fern (Cocker 15 wks) are playing together as I type this.
Fern seems to grab at Jocks jowls and then when he gets her off he goes for the scruff of her neck and I am assuming he is telling her off.

I have noticed recently that Jock is now instigating half of the play times and am concerned that he could be training her for when she comes into season. Vet won't let her have op before first season) I'm constantly watching and intervening as I NEED them to get used to me putting a stop to it for when I notice first signs.

Fern is constantly wimpering when playing, but when I stop it she instantly runs back to him to play again and doesn't seem hurt at all.

Offline gailkate

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 12:35:18 AM »
We've been dealing with this, too, as we have a male Cocker and female Corgi who are going on 5 months old.  We decided Tosca the Corgi was going to win the dominance contest, but we're not sure.  They're still battling it out.  Our vet says we need to let them settle this without interference, but I do interfere if I think it's too rough. 

Everything you've all described happens to these two - seems like an ear or leg is going to get badly chewed, and then suddenly they're best friends again.I've seen them tussling "to the death" in the backyard, and then they stop and rest.  It's so funny!  They just flop where they are, heads resting on each other's neck that they were just biting, and then - by mutual agreement - they start in all over again.

I did read one objection to letting your dogs play rough that I found very sensible.  If they confront other dogs with the same rough play, someone may really get hurt.  We're taking ours to training classes, and we want them to play and stick up for themselves, but not scare littler dogs or get into a real fight.  So we holler "enough" and slow them down. 

Now would someone please tell this American exactly what a sook is and how to pronounce it???

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 04:18:48 AM »
Now would someone please tell this American exactly what a sook is and how to pronounce it???

:D
It means that he's a real softy, bit of a wimp (but in a lovely way) and it's pronounced like 'look' but with an 's'. :D
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!