Author Topic: workers & show types together?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Ripley

• Site Member
  • Wassn't me!
workers & show types together?
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:06:54 PM »
Being new to the site & to dog ownership, I was wondering if anybody has a working cocker & a show cocker living together? How do they get on or is it not advisable to this?
We have a working type & are very happy with him, he is full of it but i find that getting him to use his brain gets him worn out as much as walking him. He's nearly 6 months old now & about to start a 10 week training course. I'd like to get him trained up as much as i can (as he enjoys this as much as we do) but would like to one day get a show type as well.
All thoughts on this welcome.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
Re: workers & show types together?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:14:33 PM »
I have one of each and they get on brilliantly. I dont notice a difference in energy levels or the mental stimulation they need. Only difference is that when krumble is out on walks he has the worker attitude ie sniffing and exploring whereas lily just runs about like a loon!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:19:40 PM »
We have Jasper,a show type and Louie a 1/4 part worker:part show.

Jasper is quite laid back and stays quite close on walks, Louie is circling and working the woods and fields the whole time we are out and is far more switched on.  Although he looks showish type he definately has the energy and drive of the worker.

But they get on together well at home and out, they just behave slightly different.  I bet there are plenty of members who will say that their dogs behave differently anyway even if both are workers or both show or indeed, one of each.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i180/jaspersmum/IMG_8246.jpg

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 01:45:24 PM »
I don't think it would be a problem at all. I have 3 very active workers and I do know that most of the show types we walk with can't keep up with them but that's not really a problem as I can't keep up with them either  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 01:57:12 PM »
Show types vary as do workers, mine are probably the opposite of how they should be. Lily is more active than normal show types and krumble is a 'bit' calmer. Lily can keep up with Nicola's lot no probs! Its only after 4 hours exercise that she gets tired whereas they could all do another 4 probably!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 02:20:38 PM »
I've got 2 Cockers - Milo is 1/2 show x 1/2 working Cocker and Mocha is a show Cocker (although she's a rescue but was sold to her previous owner as a show Cocker).

TBH, I thought Milo was energetic and busy, until we brought Mocha home!  They are both very active on walks, but Mocha is more active and charges around like a lunatic.  She is definitely more of a hunter too, and is constantly on a scent when we're out and in and out of all sorts of cover.  Milo tends to stay fairly close and almost "paces" himself. 

At home though, Milo is much more alert and active and always looking for us to do things with him, while Mocha is generally crashed out on the sofa.  To see her now (fast asleep next to me on the sofa), you'd never guess what a lunatic she is out on a walk.   ::)

I don't see a problem in keeping a show and working Cocker together.  In my experience, a dog gets used to whatever level of exercise it has always been given, so can't see why a show Cocker couldn't do long walks with you and your worker.  (Except when a very young puppy, of course.  )   ;)
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline lisandaz

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »
I do agree that every dog is different and it depends on their nature etc etc.  However we did have a small problem with mixing our show and working cocker's together and had to seek some advice ourselves.  Albeit they are much better nowadays.

My parents have a 7 month old working cocker and we have a 6 month old show cocker.  At first we did find it quite stressful, when introducing them ( at 8 weeks and 12 weeks old) as the working cocker had a lot more energy and determination than the show cocker and when it came to playing we did and still do have to intervene from time to time (but this can be quite common with two young pups, and what we think doesn't seem OK is normal play for them).

Molly (the show cocker) did not have the stamina to keep up with Tilly (the worker) and had to be separated in order for Molly to recharge.  I do feel this was a combination of things and was not just because one was a show and the other a worker, i.e. both being young pups, the fact that they do not live with one another 24 / 7.

On a positive note they are alot better now they are older and every day we see an improvement with them.  They do adore one another and miss one another when they leave each others company.  I am no expert and it may be a common huddle when mixing two young pups together from different litters, where as with yours there will be a bigger age gap and they will be living with one another.

When taking them out for walks together, Tilly is intrested in what she can find, where as Molly loves walking with me. 

At first we thought we had done the wrong thing but now they are much more settled.  My intention is not to put you off mixing the two but just to let you know what problem we had faced.

They are the best of friends and share their bowls etc, and give one another drinks.  But I thought it was worth mentioning to you.

Offline Ripley

• Site Member
  • Wassn't me!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 04:22:23 PM »
Thanks for all the posts.
I think we will go for a show cocker when Alfie is a little older & more trained up. I think it's great to see a well trained dog & motivates me to take the training as far as Alfie & I can go.
You never know, Alfie may help to show a new arrival the ropes! ;)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 05:25:22 PM »
You never know, Alfie may help to show a new arrival the ropes! ;)

I was glad we left enough time for Jasper to be settled before having a pup, he was fantastic with the pup, showing him what was acceptable as well as being reliable out on walks to keep him steady.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 06:06:57 PM »
Show types vary as do workers, mine are probably the opposite of how they should be. Lily is more active than normal show types

Same here with Billy ( show type) , he's like a rocket yet his show friend , although is active and can go for hours, is nothing whatsoever compared to Billy, she just can't keep up and neither can the other show types that live locally. Billy does have quite long legs though so i think that gives him a slight advantage  :005:

I depends on the individual  dog

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 10:30:15 PM »
I cant see why not. but If I was you Id wait until the adolescant phase was finished with before looking for another dog.!  :luv: