Author Topic: Cockers as Detector Dogs  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Cockers as Detector Dogs
« on: March 14, 2004, 10:22:46 AM »
Hi there

I was wondering if anyone has information about how many cockers go through the training to become sniffer dogs for places like the RAF, Navy and Customs & Excise.

A friend has put his name on a list in the hope that he will be able to get one of the dogs that hasn't 'made the grade'.  It's a cocker he's looking for but I didn't think that there were many cockers involved in this work  :? - I thought it was mainly Springers.

I've got a sneaky feeling that he's going to be waiting a long time even for a Springer, as I'm sure there are lots of people looking to home these dogs.  What do you think? Anyone got experience or information on this?
I'd be interested to hear about anyone elses experiences, so that I can let him know what the likelihood is of him getting a dog in the near future.

Thanks

Shirley :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline PennyB

Cockers as Detector Dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 12:09:55 PM »
I assume they know that the cockers involved are very active/busy working cockers and would need a lot more stimulation than pet cockers do.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Cockers as Detector Dogs
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 12:34:16 PM »
Hi Penny

I've just recieved the e-mail where he told me he was on a list.  He's asked what I think about the idea and I'd like some more info regarding the differences between working and show cockers before I mail him back.  I have found some pictures for him so that I can show him the physical differences but I've only ever met one working cocker.  Are there any websites that you know of, that would give a fair and unbiased comparison of the two.  I know that I definately couldn't cope with a working cocker but if I tell him that he might think I'm just biased and trying to put him off.  Would like something to back it up.

Thanks

Shirley                    

Offline PennyB

Cockers as Detector Dogs
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 01:40:20 PM »
Don't know of any websites that would weigh up the pros and cons but there is the spaniel section of a gundog forum:

http://pub109.ezboard.com/bgundogandbirddogforums

All know is that they have a far higher energy level than the show cockers (which are quite sane in comparison) and always on the go and would be more difficult to train and would be more 'scent' orientated than show cockers and thus more difficult to focus on you for commands.

I think if people aren't going to use working cockers for what they are bred for they should at least be thinking of using them for agility or the like or at least have a very active lifestyle themselves where the dog is part of it (and I don't mean potter round the park each day), but then that is my own personal opinion.

Sorry I can't be much help.                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Cockers as Detector Dogs
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 02:09:28 PM »
Thanks Penny :D .  He actually works in Search and Rescue so may be thinking of using the dog during their training exercises, I'm not sure.  I'll pass on the info anyway, as I'm sure he wants to make the right decision.                    

Offline PennyB

Cockers as Detector Dogs
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004, 02:19:51 PM »
If that's the case the dog will probably be ideal for him so that's probably why he may be taking one on.

Of the gundogs though they are still the hardest to train. Quote from a working cocker training video details

"The Cocker Spaniel as a breed is so unpredictable, a genie, a will o' the wisp, difficult to pin down to reality, but such a rewarding little person. Just as you are feeling exasperated with some aspect of their work they will do something remarkable that will leave you smiling and shaking your head in amazement. The Cocker, more than any other spaniel, has the ability and character to lift your spirits. Pound for pound they are more tenacious than others, Cockers have great stamina and seem able to work well even in warmer weather.”

Occasionally working cockers end up in rescue (usually because their owners can't cope with what is esentially normal behaviour)—there's one at the Mayhew at the moment.                    
Friends of Hailey Park

ziggy

Cockers as Detector Dogs
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 10:39:24 PM »
i had two working cockers and you are so right,when i spoke to the breeder he said,"I,VE had grown men in tears down the phone not knowing what to do with them,totally at their wits end trying to train them,lovely dogs,sadly one of them died at the age of two, :cry: the other was a chocolate pretty,little monster darcy,who the breeder wanted back ,and i let him have her,as he was going to work her much more than i would,,lovely girls,x