Author Topic: Cost of a cocker puppy  (Read 4722 times)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Cost of a cocker puppy
« on: February 03, 2010, 12:54:43 PM »
I realise this has been discussed in the past because I remember discussing the price but that must have been over 2 years ago when we first got Indie.

She cost me £600 just over a couple of years ago - has the price of puppies increased a lot due to us being in a recession or have they stayed the same price?   I had in my head that a puppy may cost £650 now but am I way out on the figure that is being asked now?  

PS have looked on free ads but they don't give me a realistic price as some are ridiculously cheap for obvious reasons, I suppose I could ask someone but don't want to appear rude talking about money  :shades:

Edited to add:   for a show type from FN and PRA Tested parents

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Cost of a cocker puppy
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:59:59 PM »
The show type puppies are between £650 - £800 now.  ;)  A well respected lady i know who shows/breeds recently sold her puppies for £800, although i must admit i was quite shocked at such a high price.  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 01:01:30 PM »
The show type puppies are between £650 - £800 now.  ;)  A well respected lady i know who shows/breeds recently sold her puppies for £800, although i must admit i was quite shocked at such a high price.  :shades:

£800 - wow I'm right off the mark and theres me thinking no-one had any money due to the recession.    :005:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 01:06:08 PM »
Alfie was £600 and his breeder was really fantastic, we couldnt have asked for better. My aunty recently bought a cocker puppy for £375 from an ad on the internet :-\, he was sold to her as a show type but he certainly isnt that, he definately has working lines in him as well as show. You get what you pay for in my eyes :shades: xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »
I have the 'cheap type' :005: For a working Cocker pup it's usually around £450-550 although prices can skyrocket for champion-winner or champion-champion matings depending on the dogs.

I'm always shocked at the prices some breeds command these days, I've seen Chihuahuas and Pugs advertised at £1000+ and people who live on our old street paid £1500 for a French Bulldog last year :o
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline maggieann

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 01:13:36 PM »
Our first cocker (years and years ago :005:) from a good breeder was £40 - that's inflation for you.

Torin & Me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 01:23:30 PM »
I have the 'cheap type' :005: For a working Cocker pup it's usually around £450-550 although prices can skyrocket for champion-winner or champion-champion matings depending on the dogs.

Gosh it's quite a big difference isn't it? I don't really understand the price difference TBH, lots of people aren't clued up on the potential differences between shows and working types and I think lots of workers are actually 'prettier' than a lot of show types. I guess the cheaper price also compounds the problem of workers ending up in unsuitable homes too.

Dave was £650 I think (2.5-ish years ago) and Trev was £600 (nearly 9 years ago). So the current prices being mentioned don't suprise me.

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 01:48:49 PM »
Maggie was £650 last March but she wasn't from a noted breeder or line...
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline jla

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »

I'm always shocked at the prices some breeds command these days, I've seen Chihuahuas and Pugs advertised at £1000+ and people who live on our old street paid £1500 for a French Bulldog last year :o

When I was looking (and bought) last year I paid £650 for my working cocker girl which was about average, in some cases the boys were adverstised at £600.  I definitely didn't see any at the £450-£550 mark.  Although I guess it could be geographically affected - I am in the south.

Offline Little-Miss-Molly

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »
We paid £650 for Molly over 2 years ago, and we brought Poppy from the same breeder a month ago and she charged us the same price, Molly is full show, we were told Poppy was the same but we have since found out she is a quarter worker, I thought £650 to £750 was about the going price for show Cockers? although I have seen some advertised for £400 up to £1000 & I have also seen working Cockers advertised for as little as £300 and some up to £1000  :o

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 02:35:21 PM »
Dennis was £600 and douglas £725

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »
We paid 650 for Belle last June, she is from breeders that show, health test etc. If you look on Champdogs you will find that most are quality breeders the price is generally 600 -700 on there. Lots of Cockers on the freead pages tend to be around the 395. I think it goes without saying to avoid a pup at this price :-\
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Dog Mad

• Site Member
  • Einstein
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 03:22:35 PM »
I've just paid £750 for Morgan, when we were looking at getting Shelby last year he would have cost us £600.  Both are from good breeders who do health tests etc.  Unsure of why the difference in price although they were in different parts of the country.
Debbie, Einstein & Morgan
RIP Bailey 02/11/2009
RIP Tara 10/05/2007

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 03:29:05 PM »
We paid 650 for Belle last June, she is from breeders that show, health test etc. If you look on Champdogs you will find that most are quality breeders the price is generally 600 -700 on there. Lots of Cockers on the freead pages tend to be around the 395. I think it goes without saying to avoid a pup at this price :-\

Jo a lot of breeders don't post their prices which is why I only guessed from freeads, not sure why they don't put them on - its usually POA

£650 - £700 is what I expected really but if they are now £800 - better get saving even more.   :005:

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 03:33:19 PM »

Jo a lot of breeders don't post their prices which is why I only guessed from freeads, not sure why they don't put them on - its usually POA

£650 - £700 is what I expected really but if they are now £800 - better get saving even more.   :005:
I have enquired  :005: and as yet have not come accross any that are 800.(sorry my pound sign does not work :005:)
Up to 700 is about right ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty