Author Topic: should I get a second cocker? UPDATE- 4th June - baby cocker coming home!!!!!!!!  (Read 4592 times)

Offline mooching

Re: should I get a second cocker?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 02:19:10 AM »
OK, objective voice of reason here.  :D

Both me and my husband run our new business from home, when we go out for up to 3 hours he goes in his crate after a walk, which he likes to do cos he gets beef jerky when he goes in there, but any longer than 3 hours and we take him to my parents who doggy sit him (and spoil him even more). 
I can see you have things running really smoothly here, like a well-oiled machine.

How important is it to your business that things continue to run this smoothly? Will the business cope with things not being quite as straightforward and smooth?

Are your parents prepared to take on the new pup as well as Henry for the times when you need to go out for longer than 3 hours?
OH and I always said we would have a second dog but not just yet
Why "not just yet"? What led you both to say that?

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 07:31:09 AM »
Getting my 2nd pup was the 2nd best thing I did and it was tough as I already had a 6 month old cocker (1st best thing ;)).   I found that with the addition of a 2nd pup, Misha's behaviour seemed to take a step backward, however within a few months they were both on track and Roly had caught up to her in terms of his obedience.

The same happened since Lexi joined the gang, Roly who was 19 months at the time has taken a couple of steps back in terms of his training and has become very puppyish - I have had to do quite a bit of one to one with him just to get him back to where he was (in fact he's behaviour is even better now), but I have found that I can't walk Lexi and Roly together (off lead that is), as together they are a true Bonnie & Clyde and very much partners in crime - I don't know how long this will last, but for the moment I'm walking Misha & Roly together and then followed by an individual walks with Lexi.  You may find that you have to do individual walks in the beginning while you get the new pup up to speed - all extra time needed

I think as long as you're prepared to put the time into the training there should be no problems and I sure that Henry will love his new brother.  As for having two boys - I have two girls and one boy.  The two girls get on fine and play very sweetly together, but Lexi & Roly play the most, and they seem to have the most upsets.  For the most part everything has been fine (sometimes frustrating) but as long as you expect that it will feel like a big change for everyone you should be fine.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 07:41:46 AM »
Another go for it here...  :D

I'll help solve the prob - post me the orange roan, you can have the golden boy .... :D
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 07:45:52 AM »
you sound like excellent parents  :D, you know the dog isnt trained so no suprises there and you are in a good position to take one of the boys on, go for it , but i wouldnt put 2 dogs in the same crate at all, could you get 2 slightly smaller ones and put them next to each other, i think even dogs who know each other well should be able to get some space from each other if they want to, when i was thinking about getting a 3rd dog i was going to have a puppy and the chance of a 2yr old came up and i was really undecided , in the end i took on the 2yr old and it was the best decision ever, shes not perfect but i would never be without her now . sometimes the opportunity arises when you dont expect it to and you just have to go for it  ;)
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Chocolatecoco

• My chocolate baby
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 12:02:04 PM »
sorry another go for it.

However i agree to the separate crates - i have 3 dogs and all have their own crates as i believe they need their own den and space from each other.

I also train individually at times - so important that you have the time to do that plus make sure your parents will take on little pup with a few training needs

other than that enjoy your pup and henry will adapt

luv amanda

My coco girly

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 12:22:23 PM »
As long as you have the time and you're prepared for some extra work to begin with I would also say go for it, you sound like excellent dog owners and you're clearly giving it a lot of thought and not just rushing out to get another dog on a whim. There will be extra work with the individual training etc. and it can sometimes take dogs a while to settle together but I think you'll find having 2 dogs to be very rewarding. I have 3 working Cockers and I think they get a lot out of having each other around as well.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 08:42:25 AM »
I don't know where you are geographically, but if you decide not to, I'll take him!! :005: :005:
He is exactly what I am looking for!

Seriously tho, I'd say go for it, as a believer the dog will find you!

Offline sarahbe

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 10:17:06 AM »
Whos having the other one?!!!

Offline nickycnc

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 12:50:06 PM »
I'd say go for it aswell.....I've got loads of 24hr's experience of having two and I'm prepared for twice the work/poo/bills/training/seperate walks etc...As long as they get along and bond (fingers crossed) I won't mind being exhausted. ph34r
Mum to 2 girls, Darcy & Charley

Offline ruraich

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 02:20:27 PM »
This is my first post on here  :embarassed: joined about a week ago so hello everyone.
I'd just like to warn you that getting a second cocker could be dangerous!! It might lead to another and another (the're addictive :luv:) We have five and are debating about another cocker or a lab at he moment.

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 05:16:40 PM »
I must say that 1 + 1 does equal about 3 times the work  :005:, however having two is great

Phil

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 07:16:08 AM »
Hello Ruraich!! :005:
Theres quite a few people on here with more than 2 cockers!! As for me, I have 2, and am on the verge on a third. My problem isn't the other animals (doG knows they are used to being jumped on (and thats just the kids   :005:) but Smartie, as she's such a spoilt Mummy's girl  ::)

Offline debsj

• Site Member
  • Max (aka Mud Magnet)
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 01:31:18 PM »
I must say that 1 + 1 does equal about 3 times the work  :005:, however having two is great

Phil

I agree with the additional work but they're so worth it  :D
We wouldn't be without our boys, they're totally spoilt too!! (no hooman kids)
Good luck Vicky. I'm sure you'll make the right decision and it's lovely to hear that the scrumptious Henry is doing well  :luv:

Deb

Offline floydlennon

• Site Member
  • floyd lennon
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 04:50:27 PM »
i am a stay at home mum we have floyd who will b 3 in july and we will be addin anew addition in july to our wee family soooo yes im another go for it

Offline VickyG

• Holly & Henry - Double trouble!!
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »
thanks so much for all your wonderful replies  :D it has given us a lot more info, we couldn't actually go to visit the pups over the weekend but will be this week now, and we have been talking about it a lot and if pup and Henry seem to get on and if he likes us and if we all 'click' then we may well go ahead and get one of the pupsters as a little brother for Henry  :D

Like a lot of you said we work our life around Henry anyway, we run the business from home and plan our meetings when we can work around Henry, and I'm out walking him twice a day anyway, most weekends we spend a lot of our time out walking with his highness Henry.  So to be honest since we have had him our life has changed anyway (that's why we waited to get a dog until we were working from home so we can have the work/life balance).  So what's one more mad cocker eh?  ;)

If we do get pup we will be trading Henry's huge crate in for two smaller ones that can go side by side, and a little more money will be needed for more food, toys, leads, aquafleeces, pet insurance, worming and flea stuff, castration (when old enough) oh and while were at it we'll also need to buy me a nice big dog friendly 4x4 gas guzzler  (< don't worry we don't live in a town we have plenty of big hills to drive around  ;))

watch this space...
cocker spaniels make everything ok