Author Topic: A serious decision to make....  (Read 5234 times)

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
Re: A serious decision to make....
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »
I Just cannot bring myself to even bother to answer this.
you should never have had the dog in the first place.............

Offline jujuli

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 10:28:48 AM »
This is so sad. But not uncommon. I nearly took on a friends dog rcently who had new baby but in the end she decided she couldn't let him go. We ourselves had our dog Rosie for 3 years before our first baby and I worried so much that our dog would b ok. Yes, life wasn't the same and we all had to slowly adjust.  Having a baby is exhausting if you aren't getting much sleep. But our dog was amazing. She was so protective over my son. She used to growl if strangers got too close to the pram and every single baby picture there was a dog nearby. As my son got bigger he played with our dog like a brother or sister, inseparable, and when my daughter came along she was the same and was always found curled up to Rosie on the floor fast asleep with Rosie keeping a watchful eye over her.
It was not easy at times but looking back I wouldn't have had it any other way. Rosie loved being with us and when Rosie died of old age at 14 we all just held each other and cried and cried. It broke our hearts but we have wonderful memories. My daughter made a scrapbook of Rosie and would keep looking at it if she felt sad and missed her. 
Right now you are probably feeling emotionally and physically drained and possibly overwhelmed by your new responsibilities. Your children could learn so much from being brought up with a dog in the house. Please don't do anything you may regret later. 

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 10:53:43 AM »
actually I disagree - I strongly think that this dog should be rehomed - right from when the OP first joined COL in 2007 it came across in the posts that having this dog was more of a burden than a pleasure  :-\

There are some very good rescues with very good homes waiting that want the lifetime commitment of a lovely young dog, so if you do honestly feel that he gets in the way then please do the right thing and contact them  :shades:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »
Could I please ask you to contact your breeder first before you take any other action - as a breeder I would be absolutely horrified if it was one of our pups that might be "sold to the farm" or put in rescue. Ok you may not have got your dog from a decent breeder in which case they won't be interested but good breeders will always take back a dog they have bred and find him or her a new home.

I also agree with Jane & please contact the breeder initially to ask if they would take your dog back or if not help/advice with the rehoming.

Also, please come back on COL & let us all know what is going to happen to your dog.  I am sure there are many, many people on here now that will be worried sick about the outcome of this sad situation.  :'(

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline The Waltons

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 11:01:27 AM »
Gosh if i was him i would not post again, i,d be too scared....
Im sure they will do the right thing for them & their dog  ;)

jo & milo

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 11:04:42 AM »
Gosh if i was him i would not post again, i,d be too scared....
Im sure they will do the right thing for them & their dog  ;)

jo & milo

I think the comments are justifiable if you look back at the old posts as well  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 11:04:57 AM »
Agree with Helen on this,you are right this poor dog seems to have been nothing but an inconvenience. Please do the right thing and re-home him with someone who has the right home to offer him
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline floydlennon

• Site Member
  • floyd lennon
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
i was gonna post and say we got floyd sep 07 had em oct 08 and am due again feb11 floyd was here first and yes he toke abit of a back seat when em came along now the 2 of them play and love each other very much em gives him his dinner every day and he is so gentle with her its amazin dogs adjust to the less walkin and less attention that comes with a new baby and love it when it all comes back was goin to say hang on in there but seems he may b better off else where poor wee b*****

Offline The Waltons

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 11:12:20 AM »
Your right his posts do come across as well odd  :o
not from someone who is a serious owner & would do anything for their best friend  :'(

jo

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
I think probably the OP is at work and won't see this until this evening and maybe all the comments will come as a shock to him. But what I would say is please do the right thing by your dog and either contact the breeder or a reputable rescue in your area. I'm sure that you and your family are still adjusting to having a new baby and the prospect (if I understand rightly) of both of you returning to work full time in the New Year.

You've realised that your dog is now taking a back seat and it sounds like you've reached the point of no return with him. I don't think anyone is going to really criticise your decision to rehome him because it sounds like it will be the best thing for him, but please take the advice given on here, rehome him responsibly and let us know what happens. We're worried.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 11:21:23 AM »
While reactions to the OP are understandable, I think you've scared him off big time, but if he's still reading I just want to say it's his and his wife's decision alone.  Rightly or wrongly, a lot of people do rehome a dog because they haven't thought it through to a child coming along.  All I can do is reiterate what people have said about rehoming through a reputable rescue if you think rehoming is the way to go.  In my experience, a cocker would not be waiting long for a new home - a matter of a few days usually, and usually they generate a lot of interest and you can pick the best home going for them, but you need to be totally honest about any issues your dog may have to get him a home with the right experience.  You don't say where you are but if you're in Scotland, please PM me if you wish.  I'd like to help.

I've no idea what he means by "sell to the farm" so I cannot even comment, let alone pass judgment. 

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2010, 11:27:31 AM »
Please let your dog have a second chance with a new family - take him to a rescue.

I had two gorgeous cockers from puppies and didn't have my first daughter until they were 7 ( 3 in all) yes their place in the family wasn't at the top anymore ( they were my first babies) and no they couldn't sleep in my bed anymore :)  maybe they didn't get the three walks a day like before, but they were still my babies as well and I wouldn't of given them up for the world - Henry (03/06/1993 - 24/10/2007) and Jack (14/10/1994 - 11/02/2010) They loved my girls like they loved them and are the reason my children adore animals.  It was very hard work and you have to be dedicated to both your children and your pets.  

If your dog is dog friendly and ok with children -  I would consider offering him a home, I now have a 9 mths cocker spaniel and an old terrier rescue girl of 15 years.

3 children 3/5/8 - 3 walks a day and I work from home - Please don't take him to any place that will mistreat him.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2010, 11:33:06 AM »
If you do decide to rehome him (and the breeder won't/can't help) then contact either Rita or Cath at Cocker Rescue

http://www.cockerspanielclubofscotland.co.uk/Cocker%20Rescue.htm

You aren't far from me - mine go to the beach every day so if you need a hand with walks in the meantime, Bailey would be more than welcome to join us.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2010, 11:57:51 AM »

You aren't far from me - mine go to the beach every day so if you need a hand with walks in the meantime, Bailey would be more than welcome to join us.

What a lovely offer :luv:
If the OP comes back on to read all the replies to his post, and decides to keep his dog, it would be lovely to think that a COLer was kind enough to help his family ;)

Offline JohnW

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2010, 12:08:33 PM »
Would it not be wise to maybe allow the OP to explain what he meant by the farm comment. It does make depressing reading with all the attacks and assumptions on his history. It may be a very innocent regional saying, however unfortunate. But I thought the forum was set up to advise and help rather than shout someone down for being a bad owner. But yet again bombastic replies come to the surface. Let him explain himself before you wish to attack him. get all the facts first.  >:(