Author Topic: How much walks/excercise does your cocker have  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
How much walks/excercise does your cocker have
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:21:03 PM »
As Riley is only 15 weeks he has been having usually 2 x 20 -25 mins walks each day. He is shattered after them and sleeps quite a bit.
He isnt off lead yet.

How old is your cocker and how many / long are their walks?

Offline crazybailey

• Donator
Re: How much walks/excercise does your cocker have
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »
I think a lot of people use the 5 mins per month idea.hope I got that right! My worker is 11 months and has an hour, loads of play and training in garden and a late evening spin round the block for 15 mins.

Hope that helps  :003:
I'm normally on my phone, please forgive any typing errors!

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:34:56 PM »
on average during the week meg goes out for about 3 hours in am and 30 mins in pm but i have 3 other dogs as well including a dalmatian so they all get lots of exercise. shes about 4
what i dont understand is i do all this walking but dont lose any weight!!!

Offline lauren2709

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:36:55 PM »
Molly is also 15 weeks and she gets about half an hour each day. I've started letting her off the lead now which she's very happy about :) I'm wondering whether to take her out for two walks a day but she at the moment she seems happy with her one walk/ run of the garden.

x

Offline max2011

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:47:02 PM »
Max is 11 months and has an hour off lead walk in the morning including swim in river with play in the garden, a bit of training and sometimes a 20minute pavement walk. I stuck to the 5 minute rule but did let him off lead at 12 weeks so he was running/ball chasing!!!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »
We have a communal park/garden right outside my door, it has two gates which is handy as I could shut both when no one is in and let him practice off lead then. Thing is whenever I go in with him, he is far more insterested in sniffing the grass, eating the grass etc than chasing the ball.
Might practice with some treats though.

Offline max2011

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »
I wouldn't worry about ball chasing. He might choose to do that later or not be interested at all - they are all different. Max is ball obsessed to the point where it is a pain!!

Your parks sounds like a good place to practice off lead. At that age Max wouldn't wander far from us and as long as you have plenty of yummy treats and make yourself really fun and interesting he will want to stay close.

I also followed Top Barks recall sticky which is excellent. Max now runs off a long way but always comes back if I use my whistle. Not quite as good returning to me calling him though!!!

Have fun!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 07:40:43 PM »
We have a communal park/garden right outside my door, it has two gates which is handy as I could shut both when no one is in and let him practice off lead then. Thing is whenever I go in with him, he is far more insterested in sniffing the grass, eating the grass etc than chasing the ball.
Let him do the things he's interested in. Playing with a ball can be a useful part of a walk but shouldn't be the entire focus. Do a bit of training, a bit of ball throwing if he's interested and also just let him mooch around and be a dog. Try stopping for a couple of minutes on a walk and sitting on a bench or talking to somebody so that he learns that sometimes you'll stop and he'll have to be patient and stay close. If you teach it when he's young hopefully he'll learn to relax when you stop and won't become impatient and noisy.

Offline Yomper

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
oscar is 14 months and gets 2 x 60 to 90 minute walks and a 20 to 30 minute walk before bed. used to be 2x 45 minute to 60 minutes and a 20 minute before bed from the age 7 to 8 months. before 6 months we limited it to under 45 minutes 2 x times a day with a quick spin before bed. he could do a lot more but he comes back and has a quick nap after each one :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
Let him do the things he's interested in. Playing with a ball can be a useful part of a walk but shouldn't be the entire focus. Do a bit of training, a bit of ball throwing if he's interested and also just let him mooch around and be a dog. Try stopping for a couple of minutes on a walk and sitting on a bench or talking to somebody so that he learns that sometimes you'll stop and he'll have to be patient and stay close. If you teach it when he's young hopefully he'll learn to relax when you stop and won't become impatient and noisy.

He is actually brilliant a with this, he regularly sits outside beside me at our local coffee shop/ice cream shop, mid walk, he sits or lays down, also standing talking to neighbours while he,s on lead he will sit then eventually lay down when he realises how much mummy can talk lol.

Offline RegalRustyCharm

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 08:31:11 PM »
Lucy is 6 months old and gets roughly 2 x 30mins walks a day, 1 trick/command training session at home and play time with me and toys each day. I'm sure she could walk for longer as her current walks don't seem to wear her out. But I do keep the 5 min per month idea in mind so I don't go overboard and dont do her more harm than good.

Offline Dan

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Brodie is 14 weeks and goes on 3 15-20 min walks a day all wood and field walks and she is off the lead and whistle trained 2 peeps and she comes to me :)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 11:32:01 PM »
As Riley is only 15 weeks he has been having usually 2 x 20 -25 mins walks each day. He is shattered after them and sleeps quite a bit.
He isnt off lead yet.

The weather temperatures at the moment may be making him a little more sleepy - my lot are zonked out during the hottest part of the day, with exercise at  more cooler times   ;)
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 07:09:05 AM »
He isnt off lead yet.

The weather temperatures at the moment may be making him a little more sleepy - my lot are zonked out during the hottest part of the day, with exercise at  more cooler times   ;)

Actually I think your spot on there, he is a very hot little pup, he slept most of saturday which was our warmest day here so far.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 07:10:13 AM »
Interesting to see this and hear others lifestyles too.