Author Topic: Should I stop taking Dylan to training  (Read 725 times)

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
Should I stop taking Dylan to training
« on: October 19, 2009, 03:51:48 PM »

I have put on a previous post, that Dylan has cataract problems. The thing is do I stop taking him to his training classes he is now 8yrs.  I do heelwork and obedience classes with him.  He has started to bump into objects it is his left eye that is effected.  We are with the help of my trainer to use sound and specific scents , and I also use a clicker with him. He is still enthusiastic to go and gets excited when I get my training bag out.  I do not want to put him under any stress, if now is the time to retire him advice needed.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Re: Should I stop taking Dylan to training
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:38:57 PM »
It sounds like he still really looks forward to the classes. Does he seem happy when you're actually at them? If so can you just work with a bit more space around him so he's less likely to bump into things, or maybe have one set area you always work in so that he gets to know where things are?

Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:35:04 PM »
It sounds like he still really looks forward to the classes. Does he seem happy when you're actually at them? If so can you just work with a bit more space around him so he's less likely to bump into things, or maybe have one set area you always work in so that he gets to know where things are?

Our trainer is making sure all the other dogs in class are on his right side it is his left eye that is affected at the momement. when he is doing heelwork they don't let their dogs pass on his affected side.  Yes he still seems happy in class and enjoys going.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 08:13:13 PM »
If his body language says he enjoys the class then i would keep taking him. What is he telling you?

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »
I think you should continue if he's still enjoying himself and isn't losing confidence by bumping into things. It sounds like your trainer and the other handlers are doing everything possible to help Dylan, and it may be helping Dylan to adjust to the changes in his sight if he's working in a safe and controlled environment.

My very old Cocker gradually went blind in both eyes with age related cataracts. I continued to let him off lead on his walks in the New Forest for a very long time, but selected the safest places I could (level ground, no brambles, trees, ditches etc.) and it helped to keep him happy and confident.

Good luck with Dylan. Dogs adapt amazingly well and he's probably less worried about it than you are  :luv:

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 08:22:02 PM »
If his body language says he enjoys the class then i would keep taking him. What is he telling you?

He is always eager to go through the door.  We are using a small bell for direction to go to his send away mat, I used my clicker, ringing the bell let him touch with his nose and click and treating.  For left and right markers we are going to use scent cloths a peppermint scent for left and a vanilla scent for right. :blink:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:27:35 PM »
sounds like your trainer is really switched on :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk