Author Topic: Would love to take on another cocker..  (Read 2593 times)

Offline seaangler

Would love to take on another cocker..
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:35:03 AM »
We have had a talk(me and her indoors who has to be obied)And said we two would like to adopted a cocker/worker next time...We have seen some wonderful dog at many tears...And would seriously think of adopting...(next time)

But its all the palaver that we would have to go through to meat the recommendations to adopting a dog...I just don't think we are  sure we could go through with it all...Its a shame Al the same but i do understand that they like there dogs to go to a good home....And we would have to be scrutinize to be able to do so....

We only have a small garden front and back...Not enough rely..
And i think thats what would stop us from adopting....And haveing gone throught the formalety and being scrutinize and being turn down..as we do not have the room would be most upseting...after all that we have right on are door step...

We down size years ago when the kids left home in Burton. At are other home we have one and half acres of land  down in Avon. But we live hear in the midlands...

Is there another or easyer way!!!

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
Re: Would love to take on another cocker..
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »
Obviously I can't speak for Many Tears, but I know that when I'm homechecking a small garden isn't always a problem.

I'd be looking at whether the garden was secure, whether the dogs are able to use the garden (ie is the potential owner so keen on gardening that they're never going to let the dog in the garden for fear of them digging up an immaculate lawn etc).

I would also be wanting to know about walks / other activities that the potential owners do with their dogs.
To be honest, although our dogs do play / lie in the garden if the weather's good (and I'm out with them) mostly it gets used for toilet breaks. Most of their outdoors time is spent on walks.

Hope this helps :)
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 10:48:52 AM »
I'd also love to home a rescue, but know most won't consider someone who works full time.  My two have a dog walker and I go home during the day as well, they are walked 3x a day every day and do agility as well as regular long hikes.  I fear most breeders wouldn't consider me either  :'(.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Daxigirl

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:14:36 AM »
Hi,

my new rescue pup from many tears will be coming home to me next week and I just wanted to let you know how the adoption process worked for us.

First of all we seen the dog we were interested on the website and filled in an application form for that dog, within 24 hours we had a phone call interview off them  (just going thro all the info I had put on the application form in more detail) then they told me more about the dog and passed my info on to the fosrterer, the same day the fosterer phoned me and went thro all the dogs needs/what the dog was like to live with and any issues the dog had.

The fosterer then went on to ask me about my self and our home situation and in general got to know me a little better, once the fosterer was happy with me and the home I could provide a home check was arranged, within 2 days someone come out to do a home check they looked around my garden to make sure it was secure all round and in my case as we are adoption a dog with special needs if there was anything that would need doing before we could home that dog.

The next day I had a phone call off the fosterer to say that we had passed our home check and to arrange a day for us all (me, my oh and our dog) to go down to her home to meet the dog and for her to meet us if everything then went ok with the meet we could adopt the dog.

This is the first time we have adopted a dog with many tears but I have to say they have been very good.

I also help out for other dog rescues and do a lot of home checks and can say the size of your garden is not the main thing we look at the most important things are the lovling home you can give a dog, secure garden and most of all you can meet all of the dogs needs.

I hope this has helped you understand the process and what rescue look for just a little more.

Nic xx

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
I can't really believe that they would turn down a loving home, just like yours, simply because your garden is a wee bit on the small side.  If I was looking to rehome a shelter pet, that would be a very minor detail - the overall picture is the most important criteria, I would have thought.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 11:37:24 AM »
I have tried with two different rescues and the size of the garden didnt matter, the height of the fencing did and one rescue said 4ft fencing wasnt high enough, the other time was when i applied to adopt a cocker x and because Bailey wasnt neutered they said no, i said i would get him done when i felt he was old enough and they could meet him and speak to my vets, they werent interested as the woman said oh they are cockapoos and will soon find a home  >:(
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 11:47:52 AM »
I must say that although I
don't know you Chris, I get that
you are devoted to your dogs
and horses and would think
you and Mrs SA have a lot to
offer in terms of adoption.
If and when the time is right it
would be a lovely thing to do;
remember "nothing ventured,
nothing gained" You just never know!
steffxxx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:18 PM »
I don't do so much of it now as I don't have time but I used to do quite a bit of homechecking for various rescues and the size of the garden wasn't a major consideration as long as it was secure and the dog was going to get sufficient exercise in suitable areas. I think the main issue if you were considering adopting from Many Tears is that you would have to have all your other dogs neutered as they won't rehome to a household with entire dogs or bitches. Some rescues are adamant on this point but there are others that take it on a case by case basis - I rehomed Tilly when Alfie was entire, she was already spayed and it wasn't an issue for that particular rescue - so it would be a matter of 'shopping around' so to speak.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline seaangler

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »
I see your point Nicola...

But i do have all Bitches (So to speak)

Cindy has been spade peggy is not...But will not breed her(being a five year old)  as to her slipped disc she had back in June time...And gemma will not even think about her for another two years(and even then)..(That will be up to the breeder)

I find it a bit hash.. by not haveing my Bitches spayed(if we did take another one on it would be another bitch)..But no way i would wont to breed from her...

I did not know that they would not let me  take on board  another bitch into a all femail party...After all i thought we would be doing the rehomeing a good service by adopting a dog..Knowing it was going to a good home..But i find now that very disheartning...

But thank you all for your kind post...

And will shop around else ware....

Yes we are devoted to are animals..

Like i am to my wonderful careing wife :luv: :shades:....And i do bring the wife home flowers if i am passing the church yard ;)

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 01:26:58 PM »

..... Yes we are devoted to are animals..

Like i am to my wife....And i do bring the wife home flowers if i am passing the church yard ;)

You are norty Chris  :005: how does Mrs SA put up  with you  :huh:
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 01:31:20 PM »
Oh Chris, we all know yours would be the perfect home. But I was wanting to rescue at some point and never considered that our home wouldn't be right i.e Ollie is not entire, someone is at home all day, we have a very large 1/2 acre garden...fenced but it is not four foot in height in some places and quite honestly will never be but it is secure. Would I fail?
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Pauline T

• Charlie Boy
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 01:36:08 PM »
OH and I did think very seriously about adopting a rescue, and we made an application, but our work hours, was a stumbling block, although I only work part time ( 2 full and 1 half days a week) plus one of us goes home in the lunchtime to let Charlie out etc,. It was a still no no. We have decide to wait until we retire and think again,(only a few years) but its a shame as I am sure we could offer a great loving home to a rescue doggie. I don't help myself by keep looking and falling in love.  :'(
Pauline & Charlie xx
A dog can say more with a quick wag of his tail than many people who talk for hours. - Louis Armstrong

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 01:51:36 PM »
Having recently rescued my little Bella who is a 5yr old ex puppy farm breeding bitch from MT just 3 months ago I can honestly say that I thought MT spent time to ensure we could offer what Bella (who is also blind) specifically would need.

I dont have a very big garden but it is securely fenced etc and that was all fine, my OH is at home all day and whilst this isn't MT's policy it would be necessary to have someone who is home alot when considering a girlie like Bella as she has needed intensive support and training as well as ALOT of patience and understanding.

Again, I have Poppy and Tessa too (which a calm resident dog is necessary requirement for many pf ex breeders to help them adapt to their new life) but having an all girl household wasn't thought to be any issue after the homechecker had assessed my girls temperaments and of course had a cocker wash  :005: ph34r

I applied to adopt Bella on a Friday...took my girls from Somerset to MT on the Sunday to meet her plus whilst the internet is a fantastic tool I had to meet her for myself to know she was the right girlie for our family.....had the homecheck etc on the following Wednesday and picked her up on the Friday so the whole process was a week in my case. It has been hard work with Bella but oh so worth it, I will definately hope to be able to help another one of these poor girlies in the future.

I am sure you could offer a lucky cocker a lovely home.....good luck with whatever you decide to do in the future  :D

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 06:54:31 PM »
Size doesn't matter Chris  :shades: :005:  I mean the size of your garden, although it has to be secure.  :shades:
If you & Mrs Chris are up for offering a home to a rescue dog & are prepared for a few possible setbacks along the way then don't give up  ;)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained (so to speak)  ;)
Imo i would wait until Gemma is a little older though  :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 07:31:30 PM »
Size doesn't matter Chris  :shades: :005:  I mean the size of your garden, although it has to be secure.  :shades:
If you & Mrs Chris are up for offering a home to a rescue dog & are prepared for a few possible setbacks along the way then don't give up  ;)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained (so to speak)
  ;)
Imo i would wait until Gemma is a little older though  :D

great advice Chris ....don't give up just yet, if that's what you would really like to do - I don't think any dog would go far wrong you  Mrs SA  ;) :luv:

but in the meantime if you really can't wait I've got 3 here you can have your pick of .......... personally, I think Livie might be a very good challenge for you  & once trained would be a great asset to the farm you help out at ..............& the neighbouring farm.......... & the farm after that too  :011:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!