Author Topic: When to start training? and anyone know a trainer near Edinburgh?!  (Read 1663 times)

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
Ollie is 6 months (this friday!) he is a working cocker with a few FTCH in his pedigree, we got him with the view of me doing agility with him (as I do with my GSD) and for OH to try his hand at some gundog training.  Ollie is a very smart pup, recalls to the whistle, we are still working on the stop! is it possible to have a dog who works (or atleast has some gundog training) but also can switch to agility where his nose wont be firmly planted to the ground?! If so when can we start the gundog bit? (he cant start agility until hes atleast 10 months even then only over poles on the ground til hes over a year)
also, anyone know of a good trainer near edinburgh? (the breeder is over 100 miles away so cant go there!)

thanks in advance!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: When to start training? and anyone know a trainer near Edinburgh?!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:48:01 PM »
You can start now!  :D

Most serious gun dog breeder/trainers start the training process just after they are weaned so it's never too early  :shades:

Of course they can do both, they know the difference!
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »
As soon as they start running about!!  hee hee!!!!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:45:45 AM »
I start basic training and keeping their focus on me from day one and I tailor what I do and don't let them do with a view towards their working training but I don't do much 'proper' gundog stuff with them until they're around 6 months old. I started training Caoimhe around when I got her at 5.5 months old but her trialling trainer wouldn't take her in until she was 10 months. Get the basics instilled early but there's no big rush to have them doing everything really young - for me up to around 6 months what I don't let them do (go too far, chase anything, run around carrying stuff) is more important than what I do with them training-wise, other than maintaining their focus and attention on me.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:57:05 AM »
I'd say Ollie has good basic training, have we spoilt his chances of working (even if it is just for fun) by letting him carry toys about the house?! he doesnt stray far from us and we've deliberately not walked him alot with our shepherd as she is a chaser and we dont want him copying! Out walking hes always watching us, checking back after hes had a little run

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:02:50 AM »
Does he let you happily have them back from him and have you played tuggy?  These are the only problems really which may have a bearing but he's very young so could easily be trained out of him with swops etc.  I wouldn't stress, he's just a sponge waiting to absorb all the new things to come his way ;)