Author Topic: weight loss  (Read 643 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
weight loss
« on: December 08, 2014, 08:34:27 PM »
since Gemma was spayed (about 1 month ago) she has lost about 500gm in weight. not a lot except she only weighed 8kg to start with and this loss is quite obvious. she has her normal food and her exercise has not changed. She had her first day out flushing this season on Saturday  so nothing to do with that days exercise.She is up to date with worming. She is fed Skinners salmon. she is not searching out food to eat or "asking" for biscuits.
 I know that after spay they can put weight on so am a bit unsure about increasing food to much . Could this be a post op thing She is still the same old live wire .
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: weight loss
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:58:55 AM »
Gosh, the opposite to Jinley, who has put on 2kg since hers!

At her check up the other day the vet said that they need a third less food after spaying normally (although she is show not worker).

From memory, Jinley lost some weight following the spay, mainly because she didnt eat for 3 days due to the drugs spacing her out!

If she isnt hungry then leave her as she is and if she is active during the season, then keep her food intake up.  It might be the close season that you will see the difference and have to make adjustments.

If she loses any more mention it to your vet when you next visit.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 08:16:50 AM »
William is neutered and is now 10, but I've never had to watch his weight much and he stays very slim on just a tiny amount less raw food than entire Louis has, so I think some of it must be down to the metabolism of the individual dog.

I think 500g weight loss off a dog that only weighed 8kg to start with is quite a lot, it's 6.25%. I think if she was mine I'd try increasing her food a bit, maybe by 5% and weigh her after a couple of weeks and review it then.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 09:48:04 AM »
Archie weighs around 11kg and although that sounds OK, he always looks very lean.  After his castration, our vet said to reduce his food but I actually being feeding him more as he doesn't seem to put weight on easily (wish I had this problem!!).  Even when he loses 4-6lbs, it is very apparent as his spine and hip bones really stick out and he doesn't look good. 

I agree with upping her food and monitoring it, that's what I've been doing with Archie.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 10:00:26 AM »
Bonnie was opposite after her spay. She became a greedy little madam and we have to watch her food.

I'd increase Gemma's food, as others have said. She will always be a dainty one so I'm sure increasing her daily food will not change that. Plus she will be a very happy dainty girl with the extra food....lucky Gemma xxx

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 10:13:18 AM »
Thanks people, her little eyes definitely twinkled at the extra food this morning
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 11:34:48 AM »
Yeah would do the same - increase for a couple of weeks and then review - it might be that the drop in temperature over the last couple of weeks is making her burn a little more energy to keep warm, something as simple as that.  xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown