Author Topic: Trying it on?  (Read 1997 times)

Offline pibbo1968

Trying it on?
« on: December 22, 2018, 10:39:20 AM »
OK so Jura is now just under 16 months and generally good on walks but recently he's started to ignore his whistle and "here" when I call him.He doesn't do it on every walk and usually it's if another dog is involved.If the dog is on a lead he'll go up to it and have a sniff then carry on but if the dog is off it's lead he sometimes just will not listen >:( He will come back after a couple of minutes and he always has his head down with the "look of shame" on his face so I think he knows he's been naughty  :005: He does just tend to do it once then is OK for the rest of his walk!?
We started him off his lead early and thought we had recall nailed a few months ago!Do Cockers go through a 2nd teenage phase?Is he just trying it on/pushing boundaries?

Offline Barry H

Re: Trying it on?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 09:47:29 AM »
Sounds about right to me.  Easy to be duped by the little blighters having a great recall when young only to see it all go pear shaped later as they become more inquisitive/confident and put you on 'ignore' by developing selective hearing!

As with most things, a lot depends on character and especially maturity.  Cockers are (usually) friendly, sociable and love to meet and greet other dogs.  They also have extraordinary single-mindedness of purpose when 'hunting', that's why a great recall can be the toughest nut to crack  If he's food/ball orientated that will make things easier.  The keys are patience and consistency.  I didn't see any definite improvement until Jack was at least 3 yo (though he's not at all fussed about treats/food rewards and I've been more lenient with him than perhaps I should have been).  He's now 4 and much improved but not perfect.  I'm still working on it..

Lots of threads on this...

Offline ips

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 10:42:30 AM »
Pibbo
What do you do when your dog ignores recall  ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »
Try a long line. Having said that Maddie knew when she was on it so she had no choice lol!
Their nose does get the better of them. Recall also has to be practiced throughout their lives or they will wander. Have you tried whistle training? Mine are better with a whistle rather than the voice.
We were told to practice lots at home then take it outside,  then don't let them go too far before you recall. Also,  try sniffing games, retrieving etch. You have to be more interesting than the other distractions!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 03:56:31 PM »
Agree with lescef. We had Humphrey on a long line for a couple of months and I used to try and do a recall everytime he‘d just about reached the end of the line and he soon got the message re the distance he could go, he‘s rarely further than about 10 meters away from me now. Another good idea is to praise him everytime he stops and turns to look at you, he doesn‘t necessarily need to come back everytime, (unless you‘ve given a recall command of course,  but it gets him into the habit of remembering to check where you are instead of just forgetting you‘re even there and going off to do his own thing.
I practise recalls on EVERY walk, sometimes with a whistle, sometimes voice only, it needs drumming in a life long in my opinion. Sometimes he‘ll get a treat, sometimes more (I‘ll make him sit and then give him perhaps 5, at intervals, so he learns its worth staying put!), sometimes a game. Try to avoid only recalling when he has to go back on the lead, coming back to you has got to worth his while (in his opinion!), and needs to be more exciting than what he‘s doing at the time!  My first trainer told us most dogs mature at around 2 years but winked and added that for cockers, read 3 !!! I thought she was joking - she wasn‘t !!!  :005:

Offline pibbo1968

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »
Pibbo
I generally stand where I am,wait a minute or so then shout him again.
I tried approaching him but it makes it worse so I stopped doing it.Sometimes I just walk off and he will follow....eventually :005:
If it’s just us two he is fine and always comes to the whistle.I’m going to take him in the quieter woods whilst I’m off over Xmas to get him used to coming first time again.

Offline ips

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 04:53:32 PM »
Pibbo
I tried approaching him but it makes it worse so I stopped doing it.Sometimes I just walk off and he will follow....eventually :005:
If it’s just us two he is fine and always comes to the whistle.I’m going to take him in the quieter woods whilst I’m off over Xmas to get him used to coming first time again.

I dont think waiting for him to come to you when ge is ready is going to do you any favours with training a reliable recall. Imo if recall is ignored you need to go and get him. Also repetition of an already ignored recall is merely teaching him that the first one is not really enforceable
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 06:46:54 PM »
Pibbo

I dont think waiting for him to come to you when ge is ready is going to do you any favours with training a reliable recall. Imo if recall is ignored you need to go and get him. Also repetition of an already ignored recall is merely teaching him that the first one is not really enforceable

Hmmmmm 🤔 it does rather depend on the situation, or where they are , don‘t you think? If I ever had to go fetch Humphrey, then it was lead on and straight back home in silence otherwise I felt he‘d think „why bother to go to her, she‘ll come to me if I stay here long enough“. If the situation allows it, I have found just walking off, possibly even hiding, has worked better for us but it does depend on the dog and the distraction - i.e. another dog or just an interesting smell.
You can also practice a sit and stay, walk a short distance away and then recall with the whistle and  :banana: and treats when he runs to you, it all helps to strengthen the power of the whistle and makes a game of the recall practice.

Offline pibbo1968

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »
If I approach him he can get more excitable and will just run around me so I've stopped doing this.

You can also practice a sit and stay, walk a short distance away and then recall with the whistle and  :banana: and treats when he runs to you, it all helps to strengthen the power of the whistle and makes a game of the recall practice.
We do this at the start of every walk.I can now get 25-30m and he will just sit until I tell him to come.He does this every time.Maybe try doing it a couple of more times on our walk?
The past couple of days he has again been absolutely fine.He has encountered other dogs,had a run/play but came straight away when called >:(