Author Topic: So........Lumix G2.....  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
So........Lumix G2.....
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:54:43 AM »
Now I have this blasted camera, can anyone tell me what it is like?  Any good?  Easy to use?  I have a Lumix but it is the TZ3 and is just a pointy click thingmajig.  This looks way different and a little scary.  David Bailey I ain't!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: So........Lumix G2.....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:19:46 AM »
Wish I had one ;) heres a good review for you don't know whether it helps though ;)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/technology/lumix-g2-digital-camera/7798061/Panasonic-Lumix-G2-Review.html
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »
I have the G1 (the older version) - it's pretty easy to use, you can keep it in Intelligent Auto mode & let the camera choose all the settings & then delve into the other modes/settings when you're comfortable with it. The LCD screen is fun as you can pull it out to one side, turn it upside down etc & I like the fact it's a lot lighter than my old DSLR :shades:
Jane

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 12:34:34 PM »
Thanks for the link Jo. :blink:

Is there a huge difference in picture quality between setting it yourself and the IA setting Jane?
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:57:15 PM »

Is there a huge difference in picture quality between setting it yourself and the IA setting Jane?

Not for general photo taking I would say - the camera does seem pretty clever when it comes to getting the settings right. But the other modes are easy to use too - I often switch to Sports (for moving objects) if I want to take pics of the dogs running around and I've also used Objects for taking close ups of flowers etc & Nature for landscapes. These are all automatic modes with the camera choosing the settings so you don't need to do any extra fiddling around. I've played around with Aperture Priority & Shutter Speed (A & S) too but haven't had time to do that much - it's often easier just to stick to one of the automatic modes ph34r
Jane

Offline michelle77

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »
I currently have a G1 soon to be replace with a canon, Most of the time I just left it in the IA and I got some very nice shots with it.  Always got confused with doing my own setting   :005: ended up getting better shots than OH just leaving the camera to do the work for me

Offline JohnMcL7

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 01:35:10 PM »

That depends a lot on what effect you are looking for and what lenses you are using, with the kit 14-42mm lens you'll probably be generally fine with the automatic settings.  You can move onto semi-automatic settings and gradually get a feel for what each control does.  The Panasonic auto modes are very good as the camera is aimed very much at people like yourself who are upgrading from compact cameras.

John