Author Topic: well...we did it! our first day out beating....  (Read 17899 times)

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
Re: well...we did it! our first day out beating....
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 09:35:40 PM »
Well done Helen and Jarvis, I go beating every 2nd Saturday aswell. I haven't been brave enough to take Floss yet. I don't think she is quite ready. I am so pleased Jarvis did well. I had Floss out getting used to gun sounds last week with our trainer she was a little nervous but did quite well. however she is due in season again soon so she will not get on the beating line just yet, even if i thought she was ready.

Beating is great fun tho isn't it? I ached for a week after my first time out (but i am old and decrepid not a fit young thing like you. I had to miss this weekend due to work but can't wait for the next time.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 09:51:04 PM »
(but i am old and decrepid not a fit young thing like you.

you flatter me....

fit and young are 2 things that i don't think i can be described as... :005:

40 going on 110 today
helen & jarvis x

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 09:52:26 PM »
well done jarv and helen.i would love to do this but i would get freaked out by the birds getting shot ::)my two have to be content with chasing the flocks of crows on the fields here :005:paddy is now bored with this game but ellie loves it.
helen,if you ache now wait till tomorrow :005:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 10:02:06 PM »
well done jarv and helen.i would love to do this but i would get freaked out by the birds getting shot ::)my two have to be content with chasing the flocks of crows on the fields here :005:paddy is now bored with this game but ellie loves it.
helen,if you ache now wait till tomorrow :005:

that was one of my hesitations lyn....but i surprised myself and really didn't feel like that.  It's a combination i think of so many birds flying up and so few being shot (don't let the 'guns' read this!!) so the pheasants have a proportionally great chance of not getting shot, and my own belief that i would rather eat a bird raised in freedom and killed very quickly then a poor barn raised battery chicken who has never seen the light of day  :'(

i was also impressed with how the shoot was run and how selective the guns were with taking a shot (maybe that's why a high proportion flew free!)
helen & jarvis x

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 11:25:42 PM »
glad you had fun, there is something so rewarding about it in a kind of weird way as you are walking through awful stuff for hours and yet its fun :lol: Dobbie was out shooting this weekend and has had his first go retrieving feathers, so a crow and 3 pigeons retrieved to hand, he is only 14 months and I have been grinning from ear to ear all weekend :D

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 11:43:38 PM »
Sounds like you had great fun.  :D

I'm sure it won't take long for Jarv to be a fully fledged worker!  ;)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 03:56:29 AM »
Sounds like so much fun, well done, Indi and I are very jealous :luv: don't have the opportunity here would love to give it a go keep us upto date with all your fun
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 05:26:58 PM »
fantastic!!! Good for you ;)

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 06:14:36 PM »
glad you had fun, there is something so rewarding about it in a kind of weird way as you are walking through awful stuff for hours and yet its fun :lol

It is crazy isn't it we must be mad ,but like Helen i get so much pleasure out of seeing the dogs work. They just love it :luv: i also get a lot of pleasure drinking sloe gin and other alcholic combinations from everybody's hip flasks :lol: :lol:
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 07:03:51 PM »
glad you had fun, there is something so rewarding about it in a kind of weird way as you are walking through awful stuff for hours and yet its fun :lol

It is crazy isn't it we must be mad ,but like Helen i get so much pleasure out of seeing the dogs work. They just love it :luv: i also get a lot of pleasure drinking sloe gin and other alcholic combinations from everybody's hip flasks :lol: :lol:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sloe gin  ph34r ph34r ph34r :005: :005: :005:
helen & jarvis x

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 10:25:54 PM »
so the rewards are alchoholic eh.
i wonder if there are any organised for near me.i think if i am honest that pads would be awful but ells may just get by.
somethig i have been meaning to ask everyone.does anyone elses cockers stalk birds like a cat.ellie creeps along the long grass almost on her belly,she gets quite close then pounces :005: luckily she hasn't caught a bird yet but she has scared the bejeesus out of paddy a few times.
she has been studying our cats bobby and baby to much me thinks :005:

Offline denisec

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 11:34:36 PM »
Sounds like you both had a really great day.  You must be so proud of Jarv  :luv: you will have to take some pics when you go next time  :D

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 12:20:29 PM »
Sounds like you had such fun.

Have to admit, it's something I know absolutely nothing about. Doubt that Buddy and I would be any good at it anyway!

Definitely need some piccies, though I'm sure you were quite busy enough without having to think about taking photos!

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2006, 12:34:30 PM »
Well done :D ... sounds like fun ... Jarv you are such a good boy :luv:    I don't know if Molly would be as good although she behaved amazingly on Sunday ... its surprising how much that can do if we have more faith in them ....
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Penel

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2006, 07:05:34 PM »

Definitely need some piccies, though I'm sure you were quite busy enough without having to think about taking photos!

hopefully maybe next time there will be piccies  ph34r ;)