Author Topic: Help needed - How to prepare game birds?  (Read 10659 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Help needed - How to prepare game birds?
« on: January 01, 2007, 04:16:49 PM »
Mods: I've put this here, rather than in Anything Goes, to avoid upsetting the more sensitive members, who tend to avoid this section  ph34r

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good website (preferably with pictures) that gives a step-by-step guide to plucking and gutting game birds?
I am going to be shown by an expert (in return for one of the birds), but would like to have some idea of what to expect - and which bit is which  :005:

Thanks  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
Re: Help needed - How to prepare game birds?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 04:35:50 PM »
be very prepared for the smell  ph34r :005: :005:

being a gamekeepers other half I should know how really, but my nan tried to show me many moons ago and I left her in the room with the door shut :005:

I could probably cope with it now, but Matt never seems to bring any home :-\

sorry not very helpful ph34r

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 04:39:56 PM »
be very prepared for the smell  ph34r :005: :005:
I'll second that  ph34r . OH used to do it whilst I went outside for a bit of fresh air  ;) . Now he can no longer see to do it himself the farmer brings them to us already gutted and plucked -bless him  :angel: ! I would make sure you have plenty of newspapers, carrier bags and rubber gloves. Sorry I'm not much use either  :-\ .
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 11:12:37 PM »
ok I can help her but its unorthodox.. ;) most game birds are breast and nothing much else not worth all that fuss of gutting and plucking and the meths to burn the stumps of feathers yeeeeuk!!!
 all you need is... be brave... a sharp knife and cut down the breastbone then pull back skin and feathers... then cut meat off breastbone. peasy.. the breast is the best bit chuck the rest..or give it to your dog if hes a barfie as long as hes not a working spaniel as he will learn to pluck game and you really dont want that! ;)
 You will need a few birds normally for a meal  if you are feeding a few folks as wild game is not busty like reared.. wrap streaky bacon round it and roast it..or do what you like.
 I dont do this now as Im developing new phobias daily dash near and dead birds  have become top of my list.. but I did it in my youth and it worked fine! Bon appetite!

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 07:19:49 PM »
Have a look at this rachel, be warned they aren't the nicest pictures to look at whilst having your tea!  ;)http://www.salopnobs.org.uk/pheasant_prep.htm
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 10:27:09 PM »
Mods: I've put this here, rather than in Anything Goes, to avoid upsetting the more sensitive members, who tend to avoid this section  ph34r

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good website (preferably with pictures) that gives a step-by-step guide to plucking and gutting game birds?
I am going to be shown by an expert (in return for one of the birds), but would like to have some idea of what to expect - and which bit is which  :005:

Thanks  :D

Don't avoid this section, just don't post in it! ;)

Us veggys are very sensitive souls though you are right! So although I have read your request I haven't read the actual "technique" for fear my "morning sickness" may return ;)

Good luck, my stomach would not be strong enough to try that, veggy or not!!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 11:28:32 PM »
Have a look at this rachel, be warned they aren't the nicest pictures to look at whilst having your tea!  ;)http://www.salopnobs.org.uk/pheasant_prep.htm

Oh brill, thanks Anita  ;)

The really sad part is that it's for Molo, not us  :o :o
Oldies Club

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 11:34:53 PM »

Oh brill, thanks Anita  ;)

I'd have to pay someone to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :005: :005: Infcat if you give him the bird he'd probably do it himself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :005:

My OH's dad does things like that birds rabbits you name it.......................they have to put a sign on the door so I dont walk in on it occurring ( need a vomit similiey!!) sorry!!!!!!

I'm sure it'll be fine!!!! ph34r

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 11:42:40 PM »
   :huh: Surely you dont need to pluck (much anyway) and gut for Molo. BARF advocates the whole animal, I thought. Surely quartering it would be all that is needed.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 11:57:44 PM »
   :huh: Surely you dont need to pluck (much anyway) and gut for Molo. BARF advocates the whole animal, I thought. Surely quartering it would be all that is needed.

Oh I know that - but HE doesn't  ::)

He's not quite as bad as Snoopy who is actually scared of the whole, feathered birds - but there is no way that Molo would consider it dinner if it was still feathered.....and for my own olfactory comfort I do not want to give him the intestines - eugh  ph34r
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 06:29:04 PM »
i wouldn't go down the plucking path rachel, skinning a pheasant is far easier all round ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 08:36:13 PM »
In my younger days i found the following to be the best way to prepare game birds.....

1.  Arrange table - plates cutlery etc
2.  Fill game bird with appropriate rich stuffing - oysters, asparagus, quince and pine nuts with a drizzle of absinthe.
3.  Soak game bird liberally in fine french wine followed by 5 star brandy and garnish with a single red rose.
4.  Remove extraneous coverings slowly, rushing at this point could result in the bird resembling a grouse.
5.  Heat up slowly, turning and tasting the flesh from time to time to maintain moisture.
6.  After basting with aromatic oils leave to simmer gently for 30 min on a warm feather bed tog 10 to 13.
7.  Stuff with pork sausage repeatedly untill sizzling hot.
8.  Leave on a low heat stirring as required until morning.
9.  Rehydrate with coffee.
10. Repeat step 7 until bird is heard to cry out.
11.  If completely satisfied with the dish obtain the game birds telephone number and arrange a repeat stuffing.

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 08:40:59 PM »
In my younger days i found the following to be the best way to prepare game birds.....

2.  Fill game bird with appropriate rich stuffing - oysters, asparagus, quince and pine nuts with a drizzle of absinthe.
3.  Soak game bird liberally in fine french wine followed by 5 star brandy and garnish with a single red rose.
4.  Remove extraneous coverings slowly, rushing at this point could result in the bird resembling a grouse.
5.  Heat up slowly, turning and tasting the flesh from time to time to maintain moisture.
6.  After basting with aromatic oils leave to simmer gently for 30 min on a warm feather bed tog 10 to 13.
11.  If completely satisfied with the dish obtain the game birds telephone number and arrange a repeat stuffing.

WAHAHAHAHAHA!  :rofl1:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 08:44:28 PM »
 :o

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!! :005: :005: :005:
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »

There are plenty of "game" birds round here, at the dockyard gates!!!  :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:  Loved it!!  Great play on words!
Spaniels In Need