Author Topic: removing puppycoat ?  (Read 4151 times)

Offline cjb

• Site Member
removing puppycoat ?
« on: December 02, 2006, 04:00:22 PM »
My dark blue roan cocker is 7 months old, but at the moment is solid black and very very fluffy !!  I brush him really well everyday using a comb with a rubber band running through it, and trim the fur aound paw pads,and under his ears. My Petshop/Groomer man has told me this heavy puppy fur needs to be handstipped.He is our family pet and we won't be showing him, so I just wondered what the benefits to having this puppy fur stripped are. ( we all really love him fluffy , he's just like a teddy  :005:)

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Re: removing puppycoat ?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 04:08:09 PM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 04:41:12 PM »
You could try a coat king on him, as you aren't going to show him.  When I saw craftsam's Barney done with one I was very impressed, it is like handstripping them only MUCH quicker.  ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 06:13:21 PM »
If you have someone who will handstrip then take it - don't be tempted by the coat king unless it's really necessary. It affects the coat long term! Even if you're not showing - you can still have the proper handstripped loook - if that's what you want and imho it is by far the better way to have a cocker done ;)

Getting a proper handstrip uis not easy and it can be expensive but it's worth it.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 03:47:21 PM »
If you have someone who will handstrip then take it - don't be tempted by the coat king unless it's really necessary. It affects the coat long term! Even if you're not showing - you can still have the proper handstripped loook - if that's what you want and imho it is by far the better way to have a cocker done ;)

Getting a proper handstrip uis not easy and it can be expensive but it's worth it.

I thoughtthe coat king looked harsh when I googled it! What does it do long term?
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 04:07:21 PM »

The coat king can break the coat rather than just pull out the dead fluff - it does seem to depend on the coat though. I've gone back to handstripping with Misty as it was making some of the hair on the back of her neck curl up and look coarse. It never appeared to affect Jimmy's coat though - although he had a nice, natural non trim one that didn't need coat kinging very often. I'd still say it's a handy tool for us pet owners that might find handstripping too much work and time consuming. The elastic band through a spaniel comb does give a nicer finish though, the coat will end up sitting flatter.

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 04:46:45 PM »
I would handstrip!
It takes time but after they look lovely!  :D

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 05:58:50 PM »

The coat king can break the coat rather than just pull out the dead fluff - it does seem to depend on the coat though. I've gone back to handstripping with Misty as it was making some of the hair on the back of her neck curl up and look coarse. It never appeared to affect Jimmy's coat though - although he had a nice, natural non trim one that didn't need coat kinging very often. I'd still say it's a handy tool for us pet owners that might find handstripping too much work and time consuming. The elastic band through a spaniel comb does give a nicer finish though, the coat will end up sitting flatter.

I'm fascinated by the rubberband trick, I've never seen it. Do you weave the rubberband between each tooth of the comb?

Anyone have pics of a comb done up like this? :huh:

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 11:51:14 PM »

I'm fascinated by the rubberband trick, I've never seen it. Do you weave the rubberband between each tooth of the comb?

yes you weave the band between each tooth of a wide tooth metal come. there is a picture saffie put on here of a comb done like this. sorry dont know how to do links. but if you put comb and rubber band in the search box at the top , you will be able to find it.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 07:50:36 PM »

yes you weave the band between each tooth of a wide tooth metal come. there is a picture saffie put on here of a comb done like this. sorry dont know how to do links. but if you put comb and rubber band in the search box at the top , you will be able to find it.

:-\can't find it... :embarassed:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 08:04:02 PM »

:-\can't find it... :embarassed:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=21876.0   ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 08:10:47 PM »
 :DThanks Nicola! :lol:

This should be a sticky ;)