Author Topic: New arrival  (Read 2603 times)

Offline poptart

New arrival
« on: October 18, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »
Hi Folks

New member here. I'm a long time Cavalier owner, about to acquire my first Cocker as current cav is getting on a bit and suffering from heart disease. It's been a long while since I last brought a pup into the house and although I've always admired other people's cockers from a distance the breed is new to me. So I thought I'd take advantage of your collective wisdom.

My new baby is 5 weeks old and will be arriving in three weeks. I'm trying to get organised with equipment, food supplies etc, not to mention making the house puppy proof.  Funny, I'm more nervous about this one than previously, possibly because there'll be two dogs in the house for the first time. I've no idea how my cav will react to his little 'brother', but he's the least aggressive dog I've ever known so I've no real concerns.

Anyway, I was wondering about dog slings. Anyone use one? And can anyone recommend a particular brand. I'm thinking it might be just the thing to get him used to the great outdoors before he goes for real walks.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: New arrival
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
Hi and welcome, - glad you found us, this is such a great place for all cocker owners but especially first timers, I've learned an awful lot on here.
I don't have any experience of dog slings but others have so I'm sure someone will be along soon with advice. Enjoy your last few weeks in a puppy free household, soon the fun will begin, - when you've got used to having an older dog around, it hits you like a tornado!!! 005:
Looking forward to updates and lots of pictures - (those are our rewards for keeping new puppy owners sane!!  :lol2:)
Only joking really - its a lovely time when they're little and sadly it all passes far too quickly! Good luck with ypur little one!  :D

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »
Hi and welcome..........what an adventure a new cocker puppy - so glad you have found us and hope someone will come with an answer re the carry sling.........might need to post on a different thread.

Maybe post on 'anything goes' if no answers to carry sling come up....someone recently mentioned another type of carrying for their cocker on that posting thread.

Can't wait for photo's too
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline poptart

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 10:12:14 AM »
Thanks Bizzy and Jays, what a friendly welcome.   :003: I will certainly post photos aplenty. At the moment I'm relying on updates from the breeder but she's been very good at sending me snaps. That's him at three weeks old in my avatar.

I'll try asking about the sling in that forum, Jays.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:56:18 AM »
Welcome to COL  :D

Fear not, whatever challenges you meet with your new pup, there will be someone on here who has been there and there is support and advice aplenty should you need it.  ;)

Never used a sling, but a lot of people just use a small rucksack with a towel in and worn on the front - works a treat  ;)  You can then put your bits and bobs in the pockets too  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »
Having had both cockers and cavvies I might be able to help a bit. Cavaliers are very social and love nothing better than sleeping in a dog pile, so I don't think there will significant problems with them. You may find it helpful to have a baby gate available. It will allow you to keep the new pup from having the run of the house immediately and will also allow your older dog the chance of some peace and quiet if the pup is being a pest.

As the pup gets older they will have very different exercise needs, but a pup often gives the older dog a new lease of life.

Good luck to you.

Offline poptart

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 02:26:25 PM »
Thanks, Joules. Good idea about the rucksack, I'll look into that.

Thanks, Sodpot. Yes, my cav is a big soft lump. He'll do anything for a cuddle. I'm sure we've got a stairgate stashed away somewhere, there's also a puppy pen I got last time round, I'll get them dusted off. I've bought a cage this time, but need to train myself to use it as I've never had one before.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 03:10:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I'm now on my fourth cocker, Jazz, a male blue roan show cocker who is now a very senior spaniel.  He will be 13 next March.  I absolutely adore the breed and could not imagine having any other dog.  I'm sure you will be consulting the forum for advice when your pup arrives, they can be a handful.  However, its very unlikely that someone on here will not have experience of whatever issue you may encounter and the advice and support will be generously offered.  Good luck with your new fur baby.  Look forward to the photos.

Offline ips

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 03:20:21 PM »
Welcome aboard the friendliest forum on the worldwide interweb thingie 👍

Friendly and knowledgeable 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 04:31:29 PM »
hi and welcome.
 you have already noticed how excited we get at the prospect of a new puppy coming on board. Can not help with the slingy thing but i might be of use later  :011:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »
Exciting times ahead! Welcome to the forum.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 11:34:31 PM »

you have already noticed how excited we get at the prospect of a new puppy coming on board.

Welcome to COL, and Min is spot on, we love new puppies  :luv:
When we had our first puppy many years ago we just used to carry Ben about for the first couple of weeks till he had his innoculations, he didn't weigh much and it was a good excuse for lots of cuddles. Only one accident where he wee'd down OH  ph34r but apart from that it was fine.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 12:45:55 AM »
Hi and welcome, you have come to the right place for help and guidance, enjoy your puppy.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline poptart

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 10:32:52 AM »
Thanks, All. I've clearly landed in the right place! :luv: