Author Topic: How can they justify?  (Read 2956 times)

Offline rubyduby

How can they justify?
« on: October 17, 2023, 05:53:29 PM »
I was making enquiries about taking my girl for her eyes checked, two vets I use , one never sees you under 40 -60 mins but doesnt charge for consultation, as a result appointments are two weeks hence , OR the Vets4pets, I recently took Topaz too has put their consultations to £60 (not long ago it was only £40) but can get in within a couple of days
, . I havent a clue what to do...the latter did her teeth and as she is very head shy I asked them to check her eyes at the same time, I was given yet another tube of eye drops for infection , I am not even sure they bothered to check anything , I want some treatment for her but am stumped who will do anything, I am so tired of shelling out for NO service at all.....sorry for the rant but I am disgusted with these charges , its even £205 for euthanasia..........this is business not animal care

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: How can they justify?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 09:18:37 PM »
No need to apologize, your rant is fully justified, there was a discussion about the same thing on here just recently,, its a sickening development that doesn’t just effect UK, these vet chains are swallowing up conventional practices all over the place, the prices are rising but unfortunately the quality of care isn’t. I hope you can get some help for your girl, it must be so distressing, my gut instinct would be to keep pestering the first vet you mentioned in the hope that you can secure an earlier appointment.
Best of luck and all the best for Topaz!  :luv:.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 11:14:43 AM »
Just to say I posted a link to an open case study that the gov have asked for into the pricing anf takeover my private equity firms.  They are asking for peoples experiences

https://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=121533.0

I am not sure where you are in Uk but there is a charity called Animal Trust who run aboyt 12 vets in and around North West England and they do not charge for consultation and clear list there prices on there site.
The item I saw was on Breakfast time and it was saying that you think your vets practice is independant and go elsewhere and it is owned by same.

Rants are needed and seems like it is being heard in some respects. Although I  fear it will be along study.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 02:41:08 PM »
yes the first vets I mentioned are animal trust they dont charge consultation, but it takes weeks to book in, they never answer their phones, and worse you usually have to wait between 40-60 mins to be seen, which would be dire for my old girl as she is.....but thankyou for your comments and suggestions

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 04:04:26 PM »
I don’t know how Topaz is in the car, but could you tell the receptionist that due to Topaz’s condition you will be waiting in the car and can they call you when your appointment is ready?  We used to have to do this when it was lock down, wait in the car until you could be seen.
Just a suggestion.
I don’t know how far the animal trust is from you but could you go in person to book an appointment?  Explain your situation to them.  Just thinking of ways to help Topaz be seen
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 06:18:25 PM »
I don’t know how Topaz is in the car, but could you tell the receptionist that due to Topaz’s condition you will be waiting in the car and can they call you when your appointment is ready?  We used to have to do this when it was lock down, wait in the car until you could be seen.
Just a suggestion.
I don’t know how far the animal trust is from you but could you go in person to book an appointment?  Explain your situation to them.  Just thinking of ways to help Topaz be seen

Good suggestion. That sounds like it could work, depending on how Minstrel is feeling/behaving I do this when he has to visit our vet  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 07:51:39 PM »
She used to be good in the car but now she gets very anxious and she would be as bad in the car as outside , I just feel that there is no-one to turn to, I just dont trust the vets to do anything that would justify putting her through all that , but I hate not doing anything...

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 08:25:38 PM »
 Following suggestions on one of your previous posts I have taken Mudmagnets and Phoenix’s advice and got a calming spray and also valerian compound for Maisie to help her through the firework ‘season’ - never just one day a year now.  >:D

https://www.dorwest.com/product/valerian-compound-for-dogs-and-cats-(organic)-100ml/

I got a smaller bottle from AMazon for about £12. Meant to work in 30 minutes and lasts up to 2 hours.
May help Topaz in the car prior to a vet’s consultation.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 09:59:47 AM »
While I don't use myself my family on the Wirral use Animal Trust and they do not wait 2 weeks usually same day.  Also they see emergencies in the evening.  Think you need to tell them it is urgent and see what they say.

Hope the calming treatment helps.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2023, 12:08:05 PM »
I did go to the vet that charges for consultation, I didnt want to have her wait 40 mins as is the case with Animal Trust, sadly didnt get much use there, as per usual, I came away with a bottle of antibiotic, and she did an quick 'paper' eye test to see if she has dry eye, apparently not. But that cost me £120, not to mention the cost of the previous dry eye gel, which she apparently doesnt need. When I got home I gave her the antibiotic, some she spat out , the rest made her sick. i READ THE INFO ON THE BOX, IT SAYS NEEDS TO BE GIVEN WITH FOOD AS IT CAN CAUSE SICKNESS) .........and I went to the vet ostensibly because she wasnt eating....do these people have a brain.....I rang the vet back and the answer was try a different one (at more cost) or an anti sickness injection which presumably wouldnt last a week the length of time she needs to take the meds. So I am £120 worse off and my dog has got nothing at all from the vet. What other job/industry would get away with fleecing people and not even giving them the service you pay for. I feel totally lost . Worse again she is now very anti syringe , the stuff must have taste vile ....and I am struggling to get anything down her, she isnt eating and now not even drinking....ooh and when I was checking the useage of the anti/bs online, I discovered that it costs £8.50