Author Topic: Really tasty Dry Food suggestions Please!  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Lulabear

Really tasty Dry Food suggestions Please!
« on: August 09, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »
My little Cooper (2 years) just seems to be going off his food.. maybe it is the hot weather but he seems so bored with it even though I have tried the different varieties, he still sniffs and walks away.
I would like to feed him dry food Kibble as I've heard that's better for his teeth.  We don't have a lot of space or a fridge nearby so I think Kibble will be best in small bags.  Wet food tends to be favoured but can upset his stomach.

I've been feeding him Orijen which is one of the best I've read.  I wonder if anyone feeds a very high quality dry dog food that you'd recommend that is healthy but most importantly tasty.... I'd say he's a bit of a fussy eater (same with lots of dog treats that he doesn't eat (but likes to bury all around my garden of course!! >:(

Any suggestions for Tasty, healthy and high quality dry foods...?
many thanks

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Really tasty Dry Food suggestions Please!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 06:22:11 PM »
Lily's kitchen?

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 07:26:59 PM »
In my humble opinion any kibble, however tasty, will get boring. I fed Dylan on Barking Heads Puppy, then Evolution as an adult, which has unfortunately now been discontinued. Went back to Barking Heads, but he is just soooo bored with it. We call it 'saying his prayers' when he just stares at the bowl, then walks away. So I,ve started feeding him a pouch of Natures diet, varied flavours, it goes down in one at around 4.00pm. Then I put kibble in a bowl,for him to have for breakfast, and a little at night if he wants it. When we're not away in the van I cook up some of the Lily's kitchen recipes and freeze them, he loves them.

I,think it must be soooooo boring for them to have kibble every day. I love prawns and cherries (not together  :005:), but I like a break sometimes  :rofl1: variety is the spice of life. I wonder if lions ever think, oh nooooo,  not wildebeest again  :lol2:

I'm not convinced it is great for their teeth either. Better to clean them every day with a brush and toothpaste, and give things like a raw carrot.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 07:31:12 PM »
Don't personally  know how tasty it is but all 3 of mine are on Tribal TLC (Truly Lower Celsius) Adult Turkey it is a cold pressed food and comes in Turkey or Salmon in 2.5 or 12kg bags (obviously the cheaper option  in the long run) a 12kg bag last my 3 usually about 19 days. You don't have to feed a lot - so it goes quite a long way. They also do 50g trial bags.

https://www.tribalpetfoods.co.uk/shop/dog-food?sid=ss65uh8a7e890tb5sipeaam8l5
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Lulabear

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 10:51:35 PM »
Thank you all for your replies!
Things to try..
What I’d really love to do is put half a dozen bowls for him to try!
Given the ‘wet’ poos I think kibble May be best but perhaps more variety.
I’ll keep trying. Appreciate your replies

Offline Barry H

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »
Had the same problem with Jack seeming to get a bit bored with his usual.  Was going to try Origen (!) but the price put me off.   Found Millie's Wolfheart and problem solved.  He almost breathes it in.  Grain free with no 'filler' and human grade ingredients.  I don't feed as much and his poos are smaller and firmer.

Millie's have many mixes depending on activity level - and joy of joys, they do sample sizes.  Light speed delivery too.

https://www.millieswolfheart.co.uk/food-calculator

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 02:31:05 PM »
Another Millies wolfheart fan here!
Ollie and Poppy are both doing very well on their  Gamekeeper mix.  :D
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 07:11:43 PM »
Wet  and dry mix plus veg, sweet potato, squash, broccoli, beans peas plus fish and whatever else we are having....no processed meat etc just proper food....having kibble every day must be so boring.....Had real issues with Rosie when young , everything upset Her so is on a mainly fish and potato diet but I have found that adding ordinary food has no ill effects. Just keep the portion size about the same regardless of what She has .Sometime freeze down a load of cooked veg to use means we rarely waste food and Rosie loves it.....

Offline Barry H

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
Another Millies wolfheart fan here!
Ollie and Poppy are both doing very well on their  Gamekeeper mix.  :D
Good stuff.  Jack's on Gamekeeper, too.  Another thing worth noting is that, in the event that they do become bored with the same mix, Millie's have different recipes with the same protein/carb ratio, so easy to switch - with no faffing about looking for a different food.  Just thought this was worth mentioning. 

(I have no connection with Millie's other than as a customer).

Carry on...

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 05:06:23 PM »
I also give a vote to millies walfhart and Lillys kitchen but sometimes I think it's the way we give it to them.....

Bea is a fussy eater, partly my own fault ( put my hands up )  so I have had to learn some tricks on the way.

Bea has had to start on Renal food, my first thought was that she is not touching that stuff but as it was whats needed until I can do my research I gave in,

This is what I did today and she ate it,

I created great excitement around the new food, she helped to unpack the box ,  give little and praised highly for even pucking it up, I would have ignored if she droped it, as she ate it she got a bit more then I stopped..... I think with Bea this creates interest ?

I then put it in a treat ball for her ( or I would have scattered it )  eventually it will end up in her bowl.
( fingers crossed )

I usually only ever have two brands of Kibble on the go, if she turns her nose up she gets the other as I do not want to reward her for refusing food, this works for her.

Can I just add that she is a little spoilt but not rotten.

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 04:49:48 PM »
Another Millies fan here too! They have lots of different varieties and I order in 700g bag, about 6 or 7 of them at a time.

It's not Bon's main food, she gets a right mixture of raw, Millie's and chicken/beef, sweet potato and appropriate scraps but I like to be able to put a handful of Millies in my pocket for treats when we're out and about.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 02:30:22 AM »
Milly's been on Origen for the past seven years but, every few weeks, we move her on to Acana  (made by the same Canadian company as Origen) for a week just to give her a bit of a change in flavour.

The change from one to the other doesn't seem to bother her as it's still scoffed at a rate of knots.  :005:

She gets a "Bonio" biscuit or a whole carrot every evening (Crunch crunch, nom, nom, nom) and her "Extra special" treat is a fillet of Cod from our local chip shop. No salt or vinegar then cooled down with the batter removed and the cod flaked to check for bones, it disappears in seconds  :lol:

Bob.

Offline Mina

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 09:09:54 AM »
Mina is also fussy with her food and we had real trouble getting her to eat for the first year and a bit. Now she has been on Lily's Kitchen kibble, chicken flavour for at least 7 months and she still likes it. She didn't care for the lamb variety, though. She sometimes gets a bit of rice, potato, steamed veggies or chicken with the kibble as a bit of a treat.

Offline Issy

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 12:35:59 PM »
Poppy is fussy too but loving Fish4Dogs kibble. They do different flavours as well so easy to ring the changes a bit.

Offline Neil

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »
Another vote for Millies Wolfheart, Bobby has been on Riverside Mix for several years now and he seems to love it. Their delivery service is reliable and excellent.