Author Topic: toilet training  (Read 1475 times)

Offline kimbo

toilet training
« on: August 13, 2020, 08:27:22 PM »
Hi
Asking for my daughter, she has a 9 week old c k c spaniel,  goes out side to wee, and has been very good, but today she was outside for over a hour done 4 wees when asked,  then came back inside pooed and did 2 more wees, any advise please, should she be taken out at regular intervals rather than a long time out or just keep going with taking her out and asking her to pee. I hope all this makes sense.
many thanks

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: toilet training
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 09:34:55 PM »
Hi. At 9 weeks a puppy can’t hold or control its bladder. She needs to be taken out regularly, after sleeping, after playing and after a meal in particular. She‘s unlikely to be able to wee or pooh on demand yet, but if you praise her every time she does it outside and use the command you want, she will start to learn what‘s expected. Toilet training will take a little time and you can expect a few accidents until she‘s really gained control, particularly if she gets over excited or over tired, its best to just clear it up without comment however, ignore it when she gets it wrong but give her loads of praise when she gets it right, then she‘ll soon pick up what‘s expected of her!  ;)
Good Luck.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 09:52:11 PM »
What Bizzylizzy said 🙂. You may also find it useful to write down the time of day when the pup does a poo. You will soon Find there is a pattern, and you can anticipate when she is going to perform and get her outside in good time. Pups will need to be taken out after a meal, and also on waking from sleep, so you set the pup up for getting praise for going outside.
Best of luck
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline kimbo

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 09:32:38 AM »
thank you for your replies,I will pass on your advise.  This is her first puppy and she so wants to get it right, pup sleeps from 10 to 6 in the morning and not cried at all so I think that is a bonus.
many thnks
Kimbo

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 09:38:50 AM »
At that age, I would take out every half hour or so and praise and reward like mad when she performs.

When you take her out for a wee or poo, don't play with her until she has done something, then she will eventually learn what she is out there for  ;)

9 weeks is very young - housetraining can take weeks or months, but she will get there in the end.  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 06:18:06 PM »
9 weeks is a very tiny baby  :luv: with no way to control their bladder or anything.  Regular trips outside, treating and behaving like a maniac when she goes are the way forward.  If the neighbours are not questioning your sanity then you are not doing it right!  :lol2:

Offline juju

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 07:49:59 PM »
Right from the beginning I said “hurry up” every time Izzy looked like she was going to do a poo or a wee. She also got lots of praise when she performed. It has been very useful over the years e.g. when going out in the car , or about to go into the groomer.