Author Topic: High insurance excess  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Moz

High insurance excess
« on: September 09, 2016, 02:19:59 PM »
Olly & Evie are currently insured with Pet Plan. They are aged 5 and 6, in good health and I have never claimed. The excess is about £100. My premium has gone up so I phoned Pet Plan to ask to go on a higher excess (maybe something like £250 or even £500) in the hope that my premiums reduce - I do this with my own health insurance - but Pet Plan are unable to alter the excess. The guy I spoke to said the only way I could get the premium down was to reduce the level of cover, which I don't really want to do. Does anyone know of any good insurers who will allow me to set my own excess? Thanks very much.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: High insurance excess
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 08:40:48 PM »
My experience so far is that most Insurers start to ramp up the excess around age 5 plus bring in a % fee contribution  :-\ they seem to be inflexible in the terms of their schemes offering a low level of cover or high, with fixed excess amounts.

I've moved one dog onto Agria direct; they underwrite quite a few schemes such as BASC and the  Kennel Club. They have a multi dog discount scheme plus the first two months are half price.  Excess is £85 with a 10% contribution to any Vet fee, can't recall the level of cover but think it's £12K - premiums are £9 PM X 2 £18pcm X 10.

All insurance premiums have gone up by 6% since November due new IPT rate which is now 9%

Jayne

Offline Moz

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »
Thanks, I'll look into Agria and see what their prices are like.

Offline belinda56

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
Funny I am just looking around again. I changed to John Lewis from Pet Plan 2 years ago as cost went up.Happy till this week until they informed me it will now cost £39 a month instead of the £27.70 .Lucy is 5 in January and touch wood very healthy. Have claimed this Summer for grass see problem (excess is £140 so claimed £35!!) but have Premium cover for £12,000 .That's almost 50% increase crazy!!! Only good thing about John Lewis is they do not change cover till dog is 9yrs old where it seems most change at 7 yrs ---what to do .... :-\

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 06:39:30 PM »
While I have remained with Animal Friends, my vet mentioned Agria - as one he finds easy to deal with regards payment for clients etc and high all of life cover.  Must admit I had never heard of them till he mentioned it 12mths ago, but as Ollie was nearly eight - thought I'd stay where I was
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 07:00:17 PM »
you used to be able to customize your policy with Tesco. Do not if they still do
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Moz

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 09:58:09 AM »
Agria's quote came out more expensive than Pet Plan - and that's with a higher excess of £150 and 10%. However Tesco looks interesting, the prices are quite reasonable and you can select the excess, either £60, £120 or £200.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 03:02:44 PM »
They charge so much more for a cocker than a crossbreed.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.