Author Topic: pet insurance  (Read 2794 times)

Offline josephine4372

• First time cocker mummy to Mr Tom
pet insurance
« on: October 17, 2016, 01:34:56 PM »
Help please

I'm just shopping around for pet insurance, currently I have a month free with pet plan. A lady on here advice me to get a policy that covered my household items that he may damage. ie him chewing . could anyone help please

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
Re: pet insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 08:58:21 PM »
Hi there and welcome to COL. Mr Tom is BOOOOTIFUL so a good insurance policy is an excellent idea.

Pet damage to household items would usually be covered by your household insurance policy although most pet insurances provide for public liability and damage or injury to third party property and persons.

When our working cocker decided to test an iPhone to destruction our household policy arranged for a replacement but the fact that the insurance representative I spoke to owned a cocker spaniel herself may have resulted in a more sympathetic response  :005:

With most insurance companies burying their exclusions and benefits under a mass of terms and conditions it may be best to confirm with the company of your choice that the coverage you require is actually included in the policy that you purchase…..Then confirm it by e-mail or letter  ;)

You're quite right to shop around for insurance but it can be a bit of a minefield. A minimum of £7k coverage per condition with a lifetime policy would be a good place to start and I have a personal preference for the smaller, more pet centric end of the insurance market rather than those that are an add on to a massively impersonal insurance based conglomerate…..But that's just my opinion.

Have a good read through the posts on here and you'll get a good idea of the benefits and pitfalls of the various companies. My choice is fairly obvious among the posts but choose a company that suits your situation and requirements.    Best of luck  :lol:

Bob.

Offline AlanT

Re: pet insurance
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 09:37:03 PM »
At the age of about one-year mine swallowed a Bar-B-Que sweet-corn cob. These are FATAL if not removed from the stomach quickly.

£3000 bill.

If you can't finance such a thing then you must find an insurance policy that suits you.

This is just an example, of one of many simple things, that can go wrong.

Years ago your local vet would have whipped this out, for an affordable sum. Probably with a good chance of success. But now we have ultrasound, CT-scan, lots of fancy drugs etc.

Less risk, better outcomes but lots of cost.