Author Topic: Bramble has a swelling - UPDATED AGAIN please read  (Read 16358 times)

Offline jools

• Site Member
Bramble has a swelling - UPDATED AGAIN please read
« on: November 24, 2007, 09:13:27 PM »
I noticed a swelling on Bramble's leg this afternoon (after the vet had closed - typical!) It's just below her knee (?) and isn't causing her to limp at all.

I cannot see a puncture wound, although she may well have injured her leg running through the woods like a maniac on a daily basis. She doesn't appear to be in any pain at all - but i am worried.

So, oh wise ones.....what do you think it could be?

If it continues not to cause her any discomfort, I'll leave it until Monday before taking her to the vet.

Took The Brambler to the vet today and he has no idea what it is. He has ruled out an infection and is hoping that she has just overdone the squirrel chasing. He did, however mention that if it's not down in a week then he'll have to remove it - and he's worried that it is in a really tricky place.

She's had Metacam injection and is to take the suspension for the next 7 days. She is also to have complete rest - that should be fun!

Please send my baby positive thoughts. I am fearing the worst.....she really is so precious.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Bramble has a swelling on her front leg
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 09:37:58 PM »
Have no idea, as it could be so many possibilities.  :huh:  She may have just banged her leg in the woods.

Hope it's nothing and causes no trouble  :blink:

(after the vet had closed - typical!)

Certainly! We can't do these things during business hours, can we?!  >:( :005:

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
Re: Bramble has a swelling - UPDATED...worried!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 09:15:52 PM »
oh blimey Jools...sorry, you know I'm a bit busy at the mo ;)

I was meaning to text ya and suggest histiocytoma, but I would have thought the vet would've realised if it was! I wonder what it is. Hope she's ok..and you  :-*

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 10:54:14 PM »
Took The Brambler to the vet today and he has no idea what it is. He has ruled out an infection and is hoping that she has just overdone the squirrel chasing. He did, however mention that if it's not down in a week then he'll have to remove it - and he's worried that it is in a really tricky place.

She's had Metacam injection and is to take the suspension for the next 7 days. She is also to have complete rest - that should be fun!

Please send my baby positive thoughts. I am fearing the worst.....she really is so precious.

Poor Bramble :(  I hope the rest and anti-inflams help - you could also try rubbing some rescue remedy into the area; it will be absorbed by the skin and can't do any harm  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:49:19 AM »
So sorry I missed this Julie.  How is Bramble today?  Any improvement?  Huge hugs to you and gentle squidges to Bramble :-* :-*
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:28:53 AM »
Hope she's better today. :-* :luv:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 11:21:08 AM »
Just back from the vet. Her skin was red and inflamed last night, which I was pretty relieved at coz that would suggest an infection rather than something more sinister.

I phoned the vet and he wanted to take a look at her this morning.

He thinks the "mass"  :huh: is moving down her leg a bit and is smaller and a bit softer. He admitted thoday that he initially thought it might be a tumor, but said that even if it was, it should be much easier to cut out based on how it looks today.

He is pretty sure now that it is an infection - although still no sign of an entry wound and I am worried that a foreign body might be in there still.

So, she's on antibiotics now, which I hope will fix her.

Poppy is missing her on our walks, and when I take Bramble to the vet, I can hear Poppy howling at being left in the house. I knew they were close, you don't realise just how close until something like this happens.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »
grass seed maybe?

Glad to hear it's looking more "normal". Hope she's feeling better soon and can get back to her walks!  :luv:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Slave of Baxter

• Site Member
  • Baxter A.K.A. 'Bimble-bottom'
    • Dreamweezle Ferret & Small Animal Bedding
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 03:39:29 PM »

Oh Jools, I hope you get to the bottom of it soon.. poor Bramble.. no Squirrel chasing!!  :o

Baxter sends her a big sloppy kiss (the only type he does!!  :005:)

Hope she is feeling better soon and no worrying her mum so much!
Jo
Owned by Baxter & Dillon living in Warwickshire

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 03:39:40 PM »
grass seed maybe?

Yup....that crossed my mind too  :-\

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
Hope that the anti b's work quickly and your girlie is back on form soon. :blink: :blink: :blink:

I have the same problem with Milo and Nance. I have been at the vets once a week for the past 5 weeks with Milo and there is no way on earth I could leave Nancy in without him, gawd I tried that once and she had screaming ab dabs, started trying to break through the gate crying howling, so now if Milo goes, Nancy goes, which can be a mission if I have Lily as well ::) :005:

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 03:43:33 PM »
Get better soon sweetie, hopefully your mummy and the nice vet will get to the bottom of it.

I wondered grass seed after all the problems Fenn had..
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Doggone Mad

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 04:07:33 PM »
Hope the antibiotics do the trick and Bramble will soon be back to normal poor wee thing.

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 04:09:39 PM »
Exactly what I thought when reading this ph34r...not to put the frightners on but our vet said that he had a springer whom had a seed go in the paw and came out of the shoulder...after two operations....and you very often will not see the entry site...unfortutely it is hard to find these things on x-ray >:(....if Fenn had had a tube down the throat job then we may have caught her seed 3 months early but the first vet thought it was just an infection?

Not really sure what else the vet could do though?  is she running a temperature?
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 04:55:39 PM »
She's not running a temperature, but the vet said that infections don't always present with high temperatures.

She had a grass seed in her paw (between her toes) earlier this year....they couldn't find the damn thing when they opened her paw up....oh, god.....I've just had a thought....could it be the same bloody seed that's migrated up her leg  :o???