Author Topic: Poor George  (Read 3147 times)

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Poor George
« on: July 30, 2018, 03:11:14 PM »
I took George for his annual booster on Saturday, I was already made aware back in February,that he had a slight heart murmur, but just recently he has had a dry cough and it often sounds like he is trying to clear his throat, which he does with a cough. To my horror, the murmur has now been upgraded to level 5  :o plus the poor boy was completely swollen around his tummy and ribs, so the Vet could not feel his heart of lungs, this happened over a period of a couple of days. The vet took an ultrasound of his heart and lungs and found that his right aorta and lungs were filled with fluid. Because it was the weekend we had to rush him to the emergency vet, where he spent the rest of Saturday and Sunday on a drip and given a couple of injections. The swelling has now gone down and he has gone from 14.7 Kg on Saturday to 14.1 yesterday. ph34r Both George and Hamish are raw fed so nice solid poos but the Vet did not agree with this and gave him some laxative and orders for me to keep it up for a couple of days, His poo was do runny this morning I could barely pick it up :020: so that it is the last time we will be using that. The emergency vet only gave me enough medication to last until tonight :huh: and would not give me a prescription, as they are an emergency Vet. OH is now taking George to our normal vet later on today for a prescription, so I can buy the meds online and another check-up. he is going to be on medication for the rest of his life Vetmedin and Frusemide, unfortunately one of the side effects is excessive thirst and more peeing, as George normally has a cast iron bladder. :shades:
I just wondered if any other Cockers were on this medication and whether it helped them.
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Poor George
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 03:52:18 PM »
No advice I‘m afraid, just wanted to wish George all the best and hope he‘s feeling better soon, poor lad! Sending  :bigarmhug: from me and tail wags from Humph‘.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:30:28 PM »
Thanks Jayne, George appreciates the tail wags from Humph  :luv: :luv:
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 05:18:14 PM »
Frusemide was one of my late Nana's favourites :shades:seem to remember that she referred to them with. a colourful array of words.  In us humans they are taken first thing and the frequency works off as the day progresses.

Sending a big hug to George :bigarmhug: and one for Hamish too
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 06:29:14 PM »
Oh poor George  :luv:  Sending you lots of cuddles and hope you feel better now.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Catie74

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 08:04:46 PM »
Hi Stephanie - maybe fate told me to login as haven't in ages.  I'm sorry to hear about George.  Roo (my cavalier King Charles) was diagnosed with a grade 6 heart murmur when I got Archie and the prognosis was rather grave.  She was on vetmedin and kept going for another 4 years.  Infact, she seemed to have been given a new lease of life.  She was 15 when she died.  All I can say is do what your instint tells you to do.  Archie sends big high paws to both George and Hamish xx

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 09:19:51 AM »
So sorry to hear that our Uncle George is poorly and we hope the meds help him feel better soon. Mum also sends him a  :bigarmhug: and one from us too :bigarmhug:

Morgan and Hugo
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 11:46:31 AM »
So sorry to hear that our Uncle George is poorly and we hope the meds help him feel better soon. Mum also sends him a  :bigarmhug: and one from us too :bigarmhug:

Morgan and Hugo
Uncle George would like to  thank his lovely Nephews Morgan & Hugo and of course their Mummy for their hugs, it is much appreciated :luv: and a huge thank you to their lovely Auntie Catherine Catie74  :luv:
We went to the Vet last night for a check up and they were pleased that the fluid had dispersed, although they are now talking about referring George to the Cardiologist, to find out what is causing the heart failure. to be honest, I am a little uncertain what to do, George is nearly 14 having been made redundant, I do not have excess amounts of cash, obviously I will keep him on medication for the rest of his life, but do I really need for him to be prodded and poked, just for them to know what is causing the condition. He is still managing to go out for walks and sometimes chases a short ball throw and trots along quite merrily ;) Our first Cocker Donald had a pace maker put in at the age of 12 and a half and lived until 15 and a half so I am no stranger to heart conditions. unfortunately the vet has said this would not help George :016:
The referral unit has rang today, to book him in for next week. on Saturday my vet practically had him on his last legs, I just feel that I am being  pressurised into spending thousands. I just want him to be comfortable and keep him for as long as possible.
Any thoughts anyone, would be appreciated. so hard to know what to do :rain:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Catie74

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 12:00:11 PM »
Stephanie, you knew me when I had Roo.  The meds kept her comfortable for another 4 yrs after a grave prognosis.  I was with  the PDSA at the time as she had no insurance, so we didn't have further tests.  I don't regret that.  She was happy and comfortable right up to the end.  Lets meet up if you are free in the day now. 

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 02:11:07 PM »
Ruby was on frusemide and another heart med (its name elludes me at the moment) but she was fine with it and we never had her referred. I only referred Lady because Wilf had just died and I was in worrywort mode but she was fine too and fine enough not to be on meds despite the odd blip (where she ended up in emergency vets with rapid breathing).

I would see how he is for now as the meds do work well (Ruby was on vetmedin for a while) and just go with the flow as it were as yes they do pee a lot but its worth living with it even if it means getting up at night and you may find a referral vet gives you same or similar drugs anyway
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »
Ruby was on frusemide and another heart med (its name elludes me at the moment) but she was fine with it and we never had her referred. I only referred Lady because Wilf had just died and I was in worrywort mode but she was fine too and fine enough not to be on meds despite the odd blip (where she ended up in emergency vets with rapid breathing).

I would see how he is for now as the meds do work well (Ruby was on vetmedin for a while) and just go with the flow as it were as yes they do pee a lot but its worth living with it even if it means getting up at night and you may find a referral vet gives you same or similar drugs anyway
Thanks Penny, I really appreciate your input. I think I would like to see how he does on the current medication, I have been given a month's prescription and ordered these online this morning. he is bright in himself. Both boys are lucky to have a dog flap, so night time peeing is no problem :005:
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 08:12:03 AM »
Sorry to hear George is poorly, hopefully the meds will make him more comfortable  :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 11:18:49 PM »
Fourteen is fantastic age to reach for any dog. My brother in law had a cavalier with  genetic heart murmur problems, and her coughing would cause quick detours off motorways.   She had medication,  but no expensive treatment .  I think they left puppy pads out at night in case she needed emergency widdles at night.
 At 14, quality of life is all that matters, heartbreaking, but at least we can do what’s best for dogs, unlike with our aged sick, human relations who suffer for months, till their inability to eat does it’s worst.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.