Author Topic: Meg at Freshfields  (Read 2085 times)

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
Meg at Freshfields
« on: February 21, 2008, 10:05:37 PM »
Hi
Meg has been returned to Freshfields, she is lovely, but I don't know if I can cross post and how I do it. She can be seen on dog rescue.
I hope this is ok to do!MEG

Meg is a beautiful black and white cocker spaniel. She is 4 years old and vaccinated and neutered.

Meg originally came to Freshfields as she was due to be put to sleep after biting. We were amazed as Meg was great with all of us at the rescue but we were told by her originally owners that we were not ‘to be fooled by Meg’.

As we expected there was a lot of Interest in Meg and she was rehomed. Sadly Meg has just been returned from that home after 7 months. We have been in constant contact with her new family and there were problems from the very beginning but Meg was loved very much and her new family wanted to continue trying until recently. They have provided us with a list of things that Meg does and doesn’t like, it reads as follows –

Meg does not like –

-Taking anything from her unless you give a treat
(we understand this is when Meg bites)
-the postman
-she watches TV waiting for any sort of animal to appear then will go barking mad.

Meg does like –

-going out for long walks but not off the lead
-people coming to the house as long as they make a fuss of her, she always needs something in her mouth as a welcome for them (shoe)
-loves the car and going out for rides
-loves to lie on her back and have a good rub.

We would love Meg to find her perfect home but patience and care will be needed to help her over come these issues.

Attached thumbnail(s)

Offline PennyB

Re: Meg at Freshfields
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:24:04 PM »
When I had a similar cocker (also called Meg) on foster recently it was also suggested by a trainer friend to rehome her to a quieter/stress-free environment (no children/other animals or may be an older laid back established male dog) which I did and has so far worked (fingers crossed though), along with a lot of common sense ;).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:59:08 PM »
Those issues aren't bad though are they? Surely the "taking things off her" can be worked upon and if no improvement her environment can be managed?  Just perhaps rehomed where there are no children.

I was expecting much issues to be honest :huh:

Poor girl  :luv:

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »
Charlie had some very similar issues particularly with "give" but we followed a programme and he is much improved (she says touching wood!!). I think she is adorable, but to similar to Charlie to consider, my OH thinks she's lovely too!
Claire

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 05:28:26 PM »
Poor Meg.  Her issues don't sound too bad at all.

As PennyB says a little commn sense is just needed.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 05:34:50 PM »
Oh dear, poor Meg  :'(  I hope her forever home comes along soon....... :-\

Based Megs assessment, both my dogs have "issues"   ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline JoanneM

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 05:47:22 PM »
Based Megs assessment, both my dogs have "issues"   ph34r

Exactly!! Seems like she's just an average cocker spaniel.

Poor girl, hope she gets snapped up soon!!

Offline SusieWoo

• Site Member
  • Dizzy
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 02:03:16 PM »
Meg does not like –

-the postman
-she watches TV waiting for any sort of animal to appear then will go barking mad.

Meg does like –
-people coming to the house as long as they make a fuss of her, she always needs something in her mouth as a welcome for them (shoe)

Sounds like she has a few nervous dominant protective issues which I'm sure would be worked out with the right handlers.  Good luck Meg.  :D
If you don't want my opinion, don't ask!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 06:21:31 PM »
Meg does not like –

-the postman

Meg does like –

Sounds like she has a few nervous dominant protective issues which I'm sure would be worked out with the right handlers.  Good luck Meg.  :D

You've got me worried now; which elements of her behaviour do you think indicate that, Susie? 

I have never actively tried to take anything from my two without playing swapsies, my dogs both bark at the postman, or anyone who approaches the house.  As for animals on the TV, well they go LOOPY looking for them  :005: They also carry something in their mouths when they greet people - I'm certain that Molo isn't "nervous dominant protective"; he's just a normal dog  ;)  (Bonnee, I'm not so sure about  :-\)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 07:43:28 PM »
I think really we can only guess as only the rescue and those who have been in contact with her knwo her, so may be we should now just concentrate on her actual rehoming ;)
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline SusieWoo

• Site Member
  • Dizzy
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 09:45:47 AM »
It depends on whether you believe in the "pack leader" principle of dog training, as I do.  Having watched Cesar Milan (although I don't agree with all his training methods, especially the prong collar) and read Jan Fennell's book The Dog Listener, both believe in this too.  It's ok for a dog to bark at the postman but must be thanked and then expected to be quiet as you, the pack leader, have acknowledged postie is there and it's now up to you to take over.  Same with taking toys etc.  You are pack leader and are entitled to take them - in the right way of course.  Barking at animals at the tv is similar to barking at the postie and should not be encouraged - or ignored - but dealt with in a similar way.  As for people coming to the house and making a fuss of them, this is basically saying to the dog "you are the pack leader and I acknowledge you as such so I will pay attention to you" and after that the dog will have no respect for that person.  Any initial contact with a dog should be no eye contact and no acceptance or jumping up ie turn away.

Yes I understand it is important to find the right home, but all members of the home must be pack leaders, children included.  Exercise, discipline (not punishment) then affection.  Not affection, affection, affection.  Too many people anthropomorphise animals and in particular dogs.  We make their lives complicated and unnatural to them, whereas Mother Nature is extremely simple. 

Just my opinion anyway.  :D
If you don't want my opinion, don't ask!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 10:23:43 AM »
Please can we now stick to specific rehoming aspects and leave the rescue to deal with specifics ;)
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 08:38:58 AM »
Meg is going to her new home soon so will close this now.
Friends of Hailey Park