Author Topic: How to remove a tick  (Read 54434 times)

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
Re: How to remove a tick
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2013, 09:22:40 PM »
Last week I took Tilly to Boxhill so the children could have a good run around, sitting down to our picinic and I lifted up Tilly's right ear (I do have a habit of checking them) only to find one crawling on the underneath of her ear. Well that didn't stay there long  :005: :005:.
Only days before I had seen a picture of what they looked like at different stages. So I knew straight away what it was.

Offline lilylulu

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2013, 11:18:51 PM »
Just got home from work Lily got a big tick on her lower lip. Where can I buy an O Tom from in the morning. I am in Blackpool. Got to go to bed with Lily and the tick not impressed.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2013, 11:36:13 PM »
Your vets? Companion care vets in pets at home do them....
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline lilylulu

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2013, 12:16:58 AM »
Pets at home ? Thanks better get up early its horrible.

Offline Katie_and_Millie

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2014, 02:42:51 PM »
I am currently sat here in tears because Millie has two ticks and I can't get them off  :embarrassed:

I've tried a tick remover, tweezers and dental floss (saw that on an internet site).  I just can't seem to get purchase.  I need to take her to the vets tomorrow anyway for her tapeworm treat (we live in Germany) to get back to the UK.  I'm embarrassed to go to the vet when I should be able to do it myself.

I am such a bad dog-mum  :-\

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2014, 02:58:53 PM »
Don't panic - it is something that you need to do a few times to get the hang of.  But, please do not use tweezers or dental floss - there is a good chance that you will end up leaving the head in and the tick will then regurgitate it's stomach contents with any infections (eg Lymes Disease) it is carrying  >:(

Are you using an O'Tom??  If you have read the instructions or watched the film, it is easy to use.  These are the only tick removers that I would ever use - they are very easy and effective to use  ;)   The only thing is to make sure you are using the right sized one (you get 2 sizes) - if the tick has only just latched on, it will be tiny and the larger hook will not get it.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Katie_and_Millie

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2014, 03:21:50 PM »
Not an o'Tom, just a wire tick picker.  I have ordered some o'Toms though. 

One is quite small, the other a bit larger and under her ear.  The small one is right by her eye so I am having problems getting enough pressure without her wiggling away.

Horrible  ph34r

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2014, 05:59:42 PM »
Not an o'Tom, just a wire tick picker.  I have ordered some o'Toms though. 

One is quite small, the other a bit larger and under her ear.  The small one is right by her eye so I am having problems getting enough pressure without her wiggling away.

Horrible  ph34r

The wire ones are useless.  It will be much easier with an O'Tom - get your vet to show you  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Katie_and_Millie

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
Thank you!  I thought I was just being rubbish as usual.  Poor Millie.  She is Front-lined so they should die soon the nasty little blighters.

Edited to say:  well the vet removed two this morning, and I got an o'Tom (the doctors were handing them out for free!).  This evening I found two more  >:(

Well, I am pleased to say I removed them all by myself - very proud of myself and confident I can do it again now.  All I needed was a good tool and to see it done :)

Offline samigail

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2014, 02:03:13 PM »
yucky things.
My Molly has had one  :-\
Purchased one of those o'toms to make it easier to remove in future but hopefully she won't get another
x

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »
4 ticks now in 2 days. we are having a real job getting them off. they see the Otom coming so flatten themselves down to her skin so we can not get a grip.
 the other thing is I can not twist the otom without dropping it. Poor Gemma, not happy and does not like the antiseptic spray . Billy no mates is not working for us ( also found a friend)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2015, 01:07:42 PM »
11 ticks off Jago's face last week....sizes started at 1mm - they were tiny! Got them all off with Otom.   Instead of spraying antiseptic spray why don't you spray it on a cotton pad and then put on the tick site?
helen & jarvis x

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2015, 01:52:01 PM »
They are a real problem this year. BNM and a very short furcut still working for Archie although the odd one does get through. No trouble with the OTom for me. Luckily Archie seems to know what it is and stays very still for me. If you can manage it putting a finger either side of the tick and stretching the skin slightly helps to raise the tick up and makes it easy to get the prongs under. You don't need to get it right to the end of the V, sometimes a very quick swirl will do the trick.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2015, 11:09:24 PM »
still getting ticks off Gemma. now they are bigger. Is it possible that they are  belong with the first lot we found a week ago and therefore all attached at the same time and place  :020:  am getting the nak of otom tool now
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline rubybella

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2015, 09:44:24 AM »
Yes, the bigger they are the longer they have been attached and the more blood they have sucked ! Yuck !

Look at this one which I found crawling across the floor a few years ago !!