Author Topic: No chance of getting a rescue it seems  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Princess_noo

No chance of getting a rescue it seems
« on: December 29, 2018, 04:50:08 PM »
I lost my poor baby 7 months ago, miss her terribly. I have another thread on here but dont know how or if i can input tje link.  I feel the time is right to get another dog, a cocker.....a rescue. We've rescued before but that was when we didn't have children.
In particular 2 spaniel rescues have said no full stop because of the children. The known rescues never seem to jave cockers or when they do there always reserved.
Many tears yes has alot but are always ex breeders so need another dog in the house and again no children. Obviously the dog has to be child friendly and im not stupid of that. Ive worked with dogs/animals for 15 years and have knowledge. So now what im supposed to go and get a puppy. When many need homes. It gets abit disheartening.

Offline PennyB

Re: No chance of getting a rescue it seems
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 07:04:08 PM »
Am afraid like all things you may just have to wait.

When Many Tears or others request another dog in home its not about your experience its about the dog - they need another dog and all the experience in the world can help with that (I have fostered many such dogs this year, mostly labs, and yes they really need another dog for their confidence). I have recently adopted a dog from four paws but was initially fostering him but it became clear he was also happiest with another dog. And you have to make sure your dog is suitable for your house - it may be no children for a reason (my ex breeder Molly can get anxious around kids).

And yes some go quickly so you have to just be determined to be honest and to be honest a lot of cockers that come in to rescue are ex breeders. Even I had problems getting another dog as I have a reactive dog (sprocker) who is well managed/selective about which dogs he's reactive with (he's often a real grump to begin with re each foster) but had to wait till something came in in rescue I foster with as he would've been a nightmare to take to meet dogs in other rescues.

Have you tried cocker spaniels needing homes on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/628946740556518/) as there are various other rescues there too.  Four paws are getting more in but I never know when so often best to put a generic application in in case we do (we had a 10 month old and 6 year old cocker as well as one I adopted and none went on website as they were all rehomed with the generic form we now have)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 07:55:37 PM »
I am not sure where you are live but have you tried

http://www.caessr.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/needing-homes.html

They have a few cockers there at the moment who are used to children  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Princess_noo

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 08:22:06 PM »
Hi yes i look on there, looked only afew days ago and none said with children. We also rescued one from them about 7/8 years ago when they were sort of just becoming recognised if i remember rightly. So i must call them and update details if they keep them.
quote author=vixen link=topic=120076.msg1718269#msg1718269 date=1546113337]

[/quote]

Offline Princess_noo

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 08:26:25 PM »
Penny B i will contact four paws, thanks for that. I am also aware of the dogs needs coming first and i fully undestand why another dog in the house helps. It definatly helped when we rescued 7/8 years ago. He learnt from my girl how to be loved amongst afew other issues.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 08:42:53 PM »
They have two Maisies there at the moment who are used to children  ;)
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 09:23:12 PM »
I really hope you find a new friend really soon.  Many Tears do sometimes have dogs that can be only dogs.  I appreciate the majority of them do need an existing dog.  Having adopted from them, it soon became abundantly clear why this is the case.  My dogs taught the new girl more than I could ever hope to.  Keep looking, You will bump into your new buddy really soon.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 10:07:38 PM »
Hi yes i look on there, looked only afew days ago and none said with children. We also rescued one from them about 7/8 years ago when they were sort of just becoming recognised if i remember rightly. So i must call them and update details if they keep them.
quote author=vixen link=topic=120076.msg1718269#msg1718269 date=1546113337]

[/quote]

I volunteer with CAESSR in the West Midlands.  I would suggest waiting until after New Year and contacting John about adopting a dog.  What age are your children? You will struggle with any rescue if any are under 8 years simply due to the risk of biting - no rescue can afford being sued and no parent should take a risk with an unknown dog - however well the dog has been assessed and background story known, the truth is, it is still a dog and can be unpredictable.  People give up or re-home dogs for many reasons, often concealing the real reason so the dog is rehomed.

Good luck with your search

Jayne
X

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 07:04:50 PM »

re age of children with four paws its usually over 5s, but depends on dog sometimes re some ages
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 01:07:38 PM »
Have no idea of background but lovely looking 15 mth old blue roan at Many Tears Newport.
hope he finds a lovely home soon
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Princess_noo

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 12:10:56 AM »
They sent a we have a no rehoming policy to people with children under 5, reply. I put on there even with young dogs.

Have no idea of background but lovely looking 15 mth old blue roan at Many Tears Newport.
hope he finds a lovely home soon

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 03:38:24 PM »
Easy, sell the kids!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 07:43:23 PM »
Do not give up - try looking at http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk on left hand side banner is Regional Clubs and also there rehoming representatives, worth giving them both a try, the secretary of the local clubs might have knowledge of breeders with older show dogs for rehoming, but naturally they love there dogs and might be hard to find, but some breeders have there own young children so can understand your dilema.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Princess_noo

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 02:10:41 PM »
😂😂 has crossed my mind so dont tempt me!!

Easy, sell the kids!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 08:15:58 PM »
After my spaniels passed away, I was thinking about this, and owning 4 acres of woodland but no seven foot fence, I checked the top breeders’ web sites, and some beautiful ex showing dogs were available for adoption. I urge you to check them. Talking personally with the owner is better than the home checkers clipboard.
 I ended up adopting rescues by knowing one of the foreign group, and didn’t get the strict home check, and the second mongrel was from a dodgy crowded local rescue , who just talked to me, saw my other dog with the potential new boy,  and used her common sense and took my money.
I wouldn’t dream of sueing them .
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.