Author Topic: First season and neutered males  (Read 629 times)

Offline Welsh cocker

• Wilma
First season and neutered males
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »
Wilma my 10 month old cocker spaniel is currently in heat. We noticed some light bleeding yesterday and today.
However we are due to visit my parents this weekend and I am concerned that they have their own young dog (12 month old neutered make westie). We had planned to take Wilma with us and therefore have not arranged for anyone to dog sit. I am now worried how my parents dog will react to Wilma.
Do neutered males try to mount females in heat? Will it cause a nuisance to Wilma and vice versa?

I'm not sure I have much option but to take Wilma with us (she has never been in kennels and do not want to cause her additional stress by introducing her to these during her first season). Besides my parents house has huge garden which would allow her to exercise safely from intact males.

What are people's thoughts and experience of having a bitch on heat around neutered males?

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: First season and neutered males
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »
I dont know if kennels would take her anyway being in season. how long is your visit
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Welsh cocker

• Wilma
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 10:20:55 PM »
Friday until Sunday! The house is quite open plan too making it difficult to separate during the day   :huh:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:24:32 PM »
Some neutered males still take an interest in bitches. William, 10 years old and castrated at 15 months, is mildly interested and likes to have a slightly impolite sniff every so often, but that's the extent of it. Strangely enough 5 year old entire Louis seems completely unaware :dunno:. Knowing that William is mildly interested I wouldn't want an in season bitch to stay with us in case the constant presence made William more excitable :o and trouble broke out.

Friends of mine had a neutered male Border Terrier, a neutered male Corgi and two entire Border Terrier bitches. The Border Terrier dog had to be sent away to stay with friends each time the bitches came in season because he would try mating with them and was a real sex pest throughout their seasons. The Corgi didn't try mating but became very defensive if other dogs were around, although he was a bit like that anyway.

I think there's no way of knowing how the Westie will react to Wilma, or her to him, but if you take Wilma with you I think you should be prepared for possible sex pest activity from the Westie and flirting or a negative reaction from Wilma. Hopefully  nothing like that will happen, but just be aware that it could. It would be pretty horrible if Wilma and/or the Westie were stressed all weekend and ended up hating each other for ever.

Offline Carolw

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:38:24 AM »
Hi,
We have 2 spaniels, the boy being 6 months older than the girl. She had her first season a few months ago. For the first week he took no notice at all but after that they were at it like rabbits. As he's neutered and she wasn't objecting we let them get on with it!

Offline Welsh cocker

• Wilma
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 09:50:43 PM »
Sounds like pot luck then. Has anyone tried using menthol rub on the tail to distract from the scent? It was something advised by a friend?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:53:41 PM »
Hi,
We have 2 spaniels, the boy being 6 months older than the girl. She had her first season a few months ago. For the first week he took no notice at all but after that they were at it like rabbits. As he's neutered and she wasn't objecting we let them get on with it!

How long ago was your boy neutered? Boys can still be fertile for a few months after (I've heard as long as 6 months after) neutering so if this is the case, you might want to consult your vet asap in case your girl is pregnant. If not and there is no risk he is still fertile, I still would not let your boy continually mate your girl in the future- they could quite easily  injure themselves (especially if left unattended), particularly if they "tie" and one tries to get away.
Jane

Offline Welsh cocker

• Wilma
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »
Just a quick update for anyone facing a similar situation. I bathed Wilma before taking her to my parents in Tea Tree Shampoo and then used Bitch Spray from Pets at Home. The westie sniffed a little but didn't seem too interested. They just played as usual...no mounting or out of character behaviour observed. Wilma did growl at him once when he went to play bite around her tail end and didn't need to again! Not sure if it was due to the dogs nature or the spray, but thankfully we had a quiet weekend and now we are heading home with one worn out pup 😊
Thanks for sharing your advice and experience with me