Author Topic: Pulls on lead - help pls  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Carolw

Pulls on lead - help pls
« on: July 28, 2014, 11:52:41 PM »
Hello everyone

Our 16 month old bitch is perfect in every way apart from pulling on the lead. More like dragging as if her life depends on it! Does anyone know a trainer in Norfolk/Suffolk area they can recommend or does anyone have any tips. Any help most appreciated.

Offline Abbie105

Re: Pulls on lead - help pls
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 11:57:18 PM »
I have the same issue with 5 month old ted. Trainer at puppy class has advised to stop completely when he pulls (no speaking) and only move on when the lead is slack. Apparently consistency is key, so looks like I shall have to get used to some funny looks in the park and a20 minute walk taking an hour! Still..... She is confident it will work

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »
Here is some excellent advice from COL member Karma -

"This is how our training school teach loose lead walking....

(I've copied this from a previous thread, so excuse references to Roxy...)

I'll talk you through the method we have started using at puppy classes - it seems to be pretty effective...

Step 1.  Have a clicker and a handful of treats.... attach lead to collar - lead should be in a nice "J" shape (so completely loose, hanging down).
Decide which side you want Roxy to walk on (eventually) - if you want her on your left, hold everything in your right hand (lead over wrist, clicker and handful of treats in hand) - use your left hand to retrieve one treat at a time after clicking.
Have Roxy infront of you, step backwards - if she chooses to follow, click and treat.... repeat many many times.

Step 2.  Once she has the hang of following you, do 2-3 steps backwards (clicking and treating), then turn, so that Roxy is in a heel position on your left - click and treat.  Then return to being infront of Roxy and repeat this stage many many times.

Step 3.  Short walks on lead in a low distraction environment - Literally just about 10 metres at first - and you should be getting at least 10 click/treats into those 10 metres - try not to click/treat absolutely regularly, so allow one slightly longer gap at some point, so Roxy has to keep concentrating on you.  In the initial stages you will be click/treating virtually constantly - don't progress too quickly, as one of the main issues people have with clicker training loose lead walking is that the dog walks nicely, grabs the treat and then pulls ahead - if you are click/treating often enough there shouldn't be time.

Step 4.  Gradually build up on this - so slightly longer between rewards in the same environment, introduce more distractions (with a high pace of reward), keep it going for longer.... don't build too quickly - and if you are taking it to a new environment, initially go right back to step one to build those foundations (you shouldn't need to repeat them as often).  I think the major reason people struggle with loose lead walking (and I do - we use a T-Touch harness) is that they do the basics, and then jump to wanting perfect walking, missing out the middle steps of strengthening the behaviour.

If at any point the lead pulls tight, just stop and wait for Roxy to look at you - if she's utterly distracted, make some noise to attract her attention (but don't just keep repeating her name!).
Make sure you give constant feedback - especially when you are fading out the treats - tell her how clever she is constantly.

It's hard work - and can take months to perfect - but it's worth it!!!

While training is in progress, never ever let her pull on her collar and lead - if you are going somewhere and can't keep to the training, use a harness (or drive and let her off-lead immediately).  The harness won't necessarily stop her pulling, but it will stop her learning that she can pull on her collar.
Also never pull her - the rule is that the lead must be in a "J" shape - it doesn't matter who does the pulling, this still breaks the rule!!!"

helen & jarvis x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:25:11 AM »
Basically there is no quick fix but I would rather follow this advice than use a headcollar like a halti as I don't know any dogs that enjoy wearing them  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
Gemma was/is a puller . A behaviorist we spoke to (free advice from a game show) was to attach her to her lead and attach the other end to my waist while around the garden and  house, so while you are in the kitchen  or where ever she has to follow you everywhere in all directions and stay close when you have stopped.  I also take her like this on our walks, it is so much easier to do a quick direction change like this and saves your arm being pulled out the socket as she can go no further than the lead length. 
She has improved alot but still work in progress.
As we worker her, I need her to walk steady at my side, the shoot captain will see a big improvement in us this year . :D
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »
Honey was ok on the lead most of the time until she was excited or got a good smell :shades: Following a recommendation on here I bought a "walk my dog with love" harness, and straight away there was a 100% improvement. After a few months of using it she will now walk perfectly on the lead without it.
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:15:08 PM »
I recently bought the walk my dog with love harnesses as well, wish I had them years ago!
Pulling has stopped altogether and much improved as well when not using the harness.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »
I had the same issue with Bea, at training classes she would do two steps to heal then step out in front, I would get dizzy as one of the techniques is to say nothing but turn the other way.

It really is about consistency and finding what works for you and your pup, I thought we would never get there but we have, she is not perfect, if there is something more interesting going on she will try to pull like a train or if I put the extendable lead on.

Good luck and don't give up, I'm glad I didn't.

Offline Vixter

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 12:59:39 PM »
I also got the walk your dog with love harness, it has helped massively.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 07:25:39 PM »
just a question

Does the harness chaffe the front arm paw pits   :D
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »
just a question

Does the harness chaffe the front arm paw pits   :D

I haven't had any problems with it, although it does cause the fur under the arm  :005: to matt together a bit so need to keep it short

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 08:58:18 AM »
I`ve not had any problems, it is adjustable....
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Abbie105

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »
Sorry to hijack the thread, but what size do you guys use of the "walk with love" harness? Ted is 5 months old, around 10kg

Thanks

Offline Carolw

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »
Thanks everybody for your advice, but can someone tell me what a "walk with love" harness is pls.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »
Thanks everybody for your advice, but can someone tell me what a "walk with love" harness is pls.

There you go - this is a walk with love harness

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leading-Harness-fitting-weighing-between/dp/B00GB2RKZO
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.