Author Topic: Pancreatitis  (Read 991 times)

Offline cstopforth

Pancreatitis
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »
Hi , my dog bailey who is 10 years old has just been diagnosed with Pancreatitis ,he has been In the pet hospital for three nights and has just got home .can anyone recommend a good food to start using for him so the condition does not come back ,  it's been a terrible few days and we do not want him to suffer again .thanks

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: Pancreatitis
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »
Sorry to read this, it is an awful illness. I will tell you what I did with Brodie, when she had it over a year ago. It can take some time for the enzyme levels to come back to normal, so in that time she was on Royal Canin's gastro-intestinal wet food, which is just 1.7% fat. She was allowed no treats or chews during that time. I believe NatureDiet (a wet food) have a fish version which is 2% fat.

Once her levels were back to normal I moved her onto NatureDiet's senior/lite, which is 5% fat. My usual guidelines is 5% fat or less for food, and around 1% fat for any treats or chews. She's been left with a very sensitive stomach which limits what I can give her, but I know of other dogs who have went back to having normal diets with no further problems. I will be keeping Brodie on low fat food for life though, to prevent a reoccurrence. I also have to watch her when my niece and nephew are here and there's food around she might steal ;).

Really hope your boy has a quick recovery, it really throws them and is such a worry :luv:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:53:01 PM »
When our George was diagnosed with Pancreatitis the Vet also recommended Royal Canin's gastro-intestinal wet food, we used to buy it online, much cheaper than from the Vets.

When he settled down we went for a low fat diet, boiled chicken /rice with a low fat mixer, and treats below 5% fat.

Also gave him Salmon Mousse from Fish for Dogs, also good anytime their stomachs are sensitive.

We also fed him three times a day giving smaller portions so as not to overload his system.

Hope Bailey improves very  quickly and doesn't suffer a repeat.

Offline cstopforth

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:07:43 PM »
Thank you for the comments and advice ,he's settling down now but I can see it's going to be a life style change for him .its going to be hard not giving in to his sad eyes when he's sat there wanting a treat from us .
I can not believe how expensive vet fees are I'm just glad he is insured .
We've given him some rice and scrambled eggs ,he seems ok with that for now .
Thanks again .

Offline rubybella

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:37:22 PM »
Hi.

When Bella was struck down with pancreatitis the vet gave us some Royal Canine gastro food. It is expensive so I looked for food with low fat content. I then gave her tinned Chappie, which is low fat, for a couple of months and then moved her onto JWB fish and veg.

You need to be looking at food with around 10% fat or less. There are low fat treats too such as dried sweet potato chew or fish4dogs sea biscuits.

Just be careful of eggs though, they are not low fat!

Hope this helps.

Chloe

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:01:29 PM »
Nutriment low purine is great for dogs who are prone to pancreatitis.

Offline cstopforth

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 06:13:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice