Author Topic: How much do spaniels moult?  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Landers

How much do spaniels moult?
« on: April 11, 2019, 05:05:37 PM »
Trying to get a realistic and honest answer about how much the average spaniel moults. I have looked this up online and found people who say theirs never ever moults.

We are trying to decide whether to get a spaniel puppy or not. I appreciate they need grooming but I can’t cope with epic levels of moulting everywhere. I went to view a puppy yesterday and was shocked by how much hair it’s mum was shedding. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a dog shed so much hair, I was absolutely covered from head to foot.

I appreciate some of that may be hormonal post pregnancy hair loss and some may be winter coat loss. She also apparently is due a good groom which has been put off because of the puppies. But it really scared me. How much do people find their dogs moult in general? We would be getting a sold golden or black boy - don’t know if that makes a difference.

Also, do they tend to be smelly dogs? The room they were in really smelt and I felt so smelly when I came home and had to change my clothes. Can’t work out if it was the dogs themselves or the house (they had a lot of animals).

Also, I know it’s a separate topic but are we able to ask advice on specific breeders on here?
Thanks.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: How much do spaniels moult?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 05:24:43 PM »
I have a 6 year old show cocker, I could brush her fior 10mins and only get a golf ball sized mound of hair from her,

I only visited one Breeder when looking for Bea so I'm not sure of the norm but the place was spotless, the pen etc had paper down and mum looked really good I'm not sure if it was due to the breeder also a very good groomer.

Some dogs can smell, especially if they have lip fold or anul gland issues etc but I think in general, if you have a healthy dog that is fed on good quality food that is groomed regularly then I cannot see why they might smell.

If you post where you are then you might get some recomendations for Breeders.

Good luck in your quest .

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 06:59:10 PM »
Right now Daisy is getting rid of her winter coat and distributing it all over the house  :016: so my answer right now, is a lot!   :005:  My previous dogs were not inclined to moult to the same level, but they were a working variety and they were groomed more closely.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »
I have a gold/sable entire male, - I brush/comb him on average about 3 times a week and about once every six weeks go over him with a coat king to clean out the lose underwool. I use the amount of times I have to vacuum the house as a guide to moulting   :005: (we have tiled fllors throughout, so hair floats around and is seen more easily!) My previous dog (GSD mix) = once everyday, twice if we had guests! Humphrey = twice a week!
Humphrey occasionally smells, - when all the neighbourhood bitches are on heat, its not unusual for him to be a bit „preoccupied with his bits“  :lol2: and he can can get a bit wiffy but its easily dealt with.
Cockers do need a fair amount of grooming, the ears can get smelly if they‘re neglected and the hair gets too thick or dirty but as long as they‘re healthy and groomed regulary, I‘ve not found them to be any worse than any other dog. I actually really enjoy grooming Humphrey - its very therapeutic and is a great opportunity to relax with my boy, although I imagine if you‘re short of time, it could become a bit of a chore.
Hope that helps?  ;)

Offline Landers

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 09:49:53 PM »
Thank you all, that really does help.

I spoke to a friend who has a show cocker today and her parents do too, she confirmed theirs barely shed any hair. I also managed to speak to two other breeders - one I’m on the waiting list for and the other I had been recommended but had struggled to get hold of. The second one was recommended by the spaniel club and is a KC approved breeder. She is good friends with the other breeder too, so both v reputable. They both confirmed their dogs barely shed.

I had a long chat with both of them today and I think there were a few alarm bells ringing at my puppy viewing yesterday and talking to them today confirmed my instincts were correct. I feel much happier better about the situation now, I’ve turned down the puppy and will wait for the right one.

I’m in Cheshire but confident with these two others breeders now.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 06:33:55 AM »
Don‘t forget to keep us posted! This is a great place for help and advice, it‘s saved many of us from desperation during the first few weeks of puppyhood!! ;)
Look forward to hearing more!

Offline Barry H

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 09:19:06 AM »
Like much else it's a bit like how long is a piece of string?  Some Cockers will lose a lot of coat, others not so much.

Jack (show type Cocker) I'd say is a moderate shedder, even with every day grooming (though some days it feels like a constant battle against dog hair - how folks with Rough Collies cope is beyond me).  Now he's fully grown, he needs frequent brushing/combing, otherwise he tends to get matted PDQ, especially armpits and around his family jewels, not forgetting the ears since they tend to drag them through everything (and I mean everything!).  De-matting is not for the faint hearted...

If you want a show trim, be prepared to put the effort in.  Grooming needs to be thorough.  Five minutes with a brush is not going to be much use, so it's a good idea to get pup used to being groomed as soon as he/she comes home.  To do it properly is quite a lot of work (and is ongoing) but the results are always worth the effort.

Offline Landers

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 10:51:00 AM »
Thanks all.
Yes bizzylizzy I am sure I will be on here hourly when we eventually get one!!

I am quite looking forward to the grooming although watched the hand stripping vids and not sure my skills will extend to that! But def intend to get the puppy used to grooming from the beginning.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 12:24:55 PM »
I have one show type and four workers.  All shed but no where near as much as I anticipated they might!  Diet, in my experience plays a large part in the coat.  Please don’t clip the coat as it alters the structure of the fur and results in a woolly /frizzy coat that will shed more! I know a very good groomer that is on the South Cheshire border (well, 12 miles south  :shades:) that will hand strip or scissor groom.

Puppies do smell I’m afraid - its a smell that you get used to but they will be a bit pongy to start with  :lol:  once your little one is established at home you’ll be able to give them a wash down (clear water) which will help reduce the odour - bathing too early may cause them a bit of distress as its their scent!

Given your questions (sensible to ask) I worry that the prospect of house training may be a concern to you - it can take a considerable period of time and accidents will happen!  Coral took 2.5 years and will happily go indoors if its too wet for her liking outside  >:D shes now 4 years old and a hard hunting dog who you would think would not care about the weather!! Kukri on the other hand is just 12 weeks old, asks to go out for a wee and lets us know when she needs to “go”.  Shes already sitting on command and sits by the door to be let out  :luv:

We are in Shropshire.  Is the breeder you are looking at based in Knutsford?

Jayne

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 09:23:37 PM »
 My show type black had a very dense fast growing coat. He wasn’t neutered.  I used a coat king for his six month puppy fluff , enough to stuff a cushion.  I rapidly went off grooming him myself because he wouldn’t let me, but was fine with the groomers. They wouldn’t have observers, no room , and it’s a long process.  He was clipped, but his coat stayed straight and glossy. They said handstripping would take all day, cost more accordingly,  and wear their fingers out. I would have preferred stripping.
They always took too much off, but even so, he needed it every six weeks!  I was happy with my coatking,  but it was a lot of work, and the feathering and hairy mop feet need other methods. I would emphasise that  Bobby had a really thick coat, whereas others have a thin one like a springer.
Prices vary from £25 to £40, so phone round. Ask other cocker owners you see on the streets and parks.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Dimples

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 10:07:29 AM »
I have a golden show cocker still entire with his bits. 8 years old.

I would say he shed more hair when he gets warm. He can smother me with hair on some occasions but other times not so much.  I use a comb on him every few days and always get a good amount out. Nothing major though.

Smell wise - he does smell like an old slipper at times. Apparently this is when they sweat but what do I know!  He also stinks after he has rolled in fox poo and jumped in the nearby farming puddles  :005: :005: :005: :005:  He could never show that's for sure!!

On a comparison to other dogs I would say he is average though hair shedding wise.
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 10:40:28 AM »
I have a black boy and he never sheds at all, our last back boy didn't either.  My husband is asthmatic although he is not generally allergic to dogs, but we wanted a dog that didn't shed too much just in case. About 10 years ago we had a blue roan puppy and she was only with us a week and the amount of hair she shed was amazing for something so small.  It was the white hairs that were coming out and in that week my husband had several really scary asthma attacks (we had our black boy as well at the time) it was just heart-breaking but we had to take the puppy back to the breeder and the asthma stopped  :'(  we waited a while and rescued our current black boy and were relieved he didn't shed and no health issues for my husband.  I've asked lots of people and it seems we were unlucky not all roans shed hair, but as much as I love them I would never take the risk again I have heard more consistent stories of solid blacks not shedding than any other colours, so we will be sticking to black boys for the foreseeable future  :luv:

Hope you find your perfect puppy x

Offline theshrew

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 01:44:37 AM »
I have had 2 sadly my youngest in Nov. They were both completely different tbh although both supposed to be show types although i guess one more that the other.

My oldest has a thick black or more grey coat now fast growing coat which needs trimming every 6 weeks ish doesn't really moult at all. The younger one was Golden and had very fine thin coat which maybe needed a trim 3 times a year. Her feathering grew very fast though. She Moulted a lot more than my other dog.
However when you say moult this time of year is worst i guess for all dogs. TBH its not even worth worrying about with either of mine.

To put it into perspective from my experience a cocker, yorkie or a poodle of any size would be 1-5 on the moult scale. A golden retriever or labrador would be 100 and a boxer a 50.

I guess all dogs of the same breads are different as ive experienced. They all have a VERY different temperament also choose what fits you / your family the best.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 10:52:07 AM »
Ollie is my second spaniel and he does shed - not a great deal - whether it is more than other breed etc I am not sure.  He is black and as I have several wooden floors his black hairs as easily seen/so a regular clean of him and floors.

I would say you are well set living in Cheshire and as I am not to far away.....no names mentioned - but my first point of call in a search or for sound and constructive advice would in Cheshire.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »
I have had 2 sadly my youngest in Nov. They were both completely different tbh although both supposed to be show types although i guess one more that the other.

My oldest has a thick black or more grey coat now fast growing coat which needs trimming every 6 weeks ish doesn't really moult at all. The younger one was Golden and had very fine thin coat which maybe needed a trim 3 times a year. Her feathering grew very fast though. She Moulted a lot more than my other dog.
However when you say moult this time of year is worst i guess for all dogs. TBH its not even worth worrying about with either of mine.

To put it into perspective from my experience a cocker, yorkie or a poodle of any size would be 1-5 on the moult scale. A golden retriever or labrador would be 100 and a boxer a 50.

I guess all dogs of the same breads are different as ive experienced. They all have a VERY different temperament also choose what fits you / your family the best.

Really sorry to read of your loss.  Hope you are well and still avoiding wobble boxes?