Author Topic: How much do spaniels moult?  (Read 4691 times)

Offline ips

Re: How much do spaniels moult?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 05:47:35 PM »
My one hardly moults at all.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline theshrew

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 11:11:34 PM »
I have had 2 sadly my youngest in Nov. They were both completely different tbh although both supposed to be show types although i guess one more that the other.

My oldest has a thick black or more grey coat now fast growing coat which needs trimming every 6 weeks ish doesn't really moult at all. The younger one was Golden and had very fine thin coat which maybe needed a trim 3 times a year. Her feathering grew very fast though. She Moulted a lot more than my other dog.
However when you say moult this time of year is worst i guess for all dogs. TBH its not even worth worrying about with either of mine.

To put it into perspective from my experience a cocker, yorkie or a poodle of any size would be 1-5 on the moult scale. A golden retriever or labrador would be 100 and a boxer a 50.

I guess all dogs of the same breads are different as ive experienced. They all have a VERY different temperament also choose what fits you / your family the best.

Really sorry to read of your loss.  Hope you are well and still avoiding wobble boxes?

Thanks 🙏

Offline Landers

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »
I didn’t realise there had been lots more posts on this thread, thanks all!

So to update - we found a breeder I really liked, her dog was lovely and barely moulds ag all. She has such a lovely temperament. I’ve also spoken to the breeder who owns the stud dog and he also doesn’t moult much and according to both breeders he also has a lovely temperament. The stud dog breeders was recommended to me by the local cocker association too. So happy with the genetics.

So the litter has been born and we will be getting a little Black and Tan boy in August. Nervous and excited in equal measure. I’m going to have to start hanging out on the puppy boards now. Thanks for the advise. To the poster who knows of a good groomer in south Cheshire - could you send me their details?