Author Topic: Clipping a neutered cocker for summer  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Scottishkitkat

Clipping a neutered cocker for summer
« on: June 26, 2019, 10:26:26 PM »
Hi there. Sorry if this has all been covered on previous posts but I couldn’t quite find the information I’m looking for. Im after advice on how to keep my dog cooler in the summer as he is really panting in the heat.

I have a working cocker (unemployed!). He is 9. He used to have a thin, shiny coat. We recently had him neutered for medical reasons and, as I knew it might, his coat has gone wild! It’s thick, fluffy etc etc. I don’t mind aesthetically what he looks like but he now is struggling in the heat so I’d like to make him more comfortable.

He is a rescue, nervous, but growly etc so I dont want to stress him out by taking him to groomers. Brushing- even with fancy tools, elastic bands etc is not really getting rid of enough hair.

I really don’t care what he looks like but if I buy clippers and just ‘shave’ him (obviously with a guard on) will he feel cooler? I don’t really know how dogs coats work. Or will his thick short coat still be too warm and do I need to somehow thin it?

Also, can anyone advice on cheapish clippers to buy?

Any advice welcome, thanks for listening

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Clipping a neutered cocker for summer
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 08:12:06 AM »
Taking him to a groomers for a proper all over clip would be away to give you an easier start with the changed coat, then you would be able to attack him yourself every month or so before it gets too thick. Dogs , like toddlers, behave better with professionals. Mine would snarl at me, but submitted happily with a groomer who seemed to hypnotise her clients. You have to ask complete strangers who they take their dogs to, because some are terrible.    You could insist on washing and drying him at home the same day so that the appointment is quicker.  They want them absolutely clean otherwise any grit and dirt ruins the clipper blades.   You will need hairy feet sorting, which is hard yourself!
I bought Andis clippers,  very quiet, which is important. I would ask other folks what blade is best for that coat. It’s on our grooming guide section.
Have you tried thinning with a Mars Coat King? Their website advises which blade to use. It would look and feel better, but you need a patient dog, and scissors for bits it can’t do.
 We clip my daughters very hairy dog, he feels great afterwards, but obviously it rapidly grows, still thick. He gets matted, and it’s a long job, taking several sessions because he is foot shy.

My thought is that if he is nervous, it may become traumatic for both of you when you new to doing it yourself.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.