Author Topic: So what is a standard "cocker groom"?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline makenna

So what is a standard "cocker groom"?
« on: June 27, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »
Hi all,

My Chisum is a working Cocker with a working Cocker type coat. He's the first Cocker that I've had, though my mom had one and my Aunt used to breed them (American Cockers). Grooms for them always seemed to be the same basic 'style' - shaved back with the skirt.

I took my boy in yesterday and said I wanted a longer tail, longer ears, and a short cut/shave all over - no skirt. His leg hair and chest hair just gets really tangly really easily even when I keep him combed and after looking at pictures online that was kind of the style I preferred.

Anyway, I was really proud of him for surviving his first groom and I posted pictures on Reddit, just to get bombarded with people who were upset that I shaved him. I know that shaving is a no-no for double coated breeds (like Aussies, which my parents currently have) but it was my understanding that it was pretty typical for Cockers? I also know that working Cockers are handstripped sometimes, but my boy is anxious anyway and it seemed like too long of a process to put him through for his first time.

I've tried reading up online but of course answers are all over the place - some say Cockers are single coated, others say double. Some say shave, others say absolutely not. I will say that compared to the double coated breeds I've had in the past (Aussies, Shelties, Collies) Chisum's hair doesn't really act like that - there's no descernable undercoat that comes up and sheds out.

So in short - help! Did I do the wrong thing? Should I do something differently next time? I have a link below to his before vs. after pic.
https://imgur.com/a/X8tNqOs

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: So what is a standard "cocker groom"?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 06:51:37 PM »
I'm sure there is a "standard" written somewhere but Chisum is your dog and you know how best to keep him.

Bea is a show cocker who hates me Grooming her for more than a couple of minutes, she can get very knotty under her armpits and chest so my groomer keeps these area's shorter so it's easier for me to handle and more comfortable for Bea.

I do prefer a dog with a coat but this isn't always possible for health reasons, some dogs have very thick coats so it's better for them to be clipped then suffer in the heat.

Its a good idea to take in a picture of how you want your boy to look, it can take a couple of goes but it gets easier.

Good luck.

Offline makenna

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 07:15:38 PM »
Thanks! I think he looks good, in the future I might keep his hair a little longer but I think he looks better. He feels better too - he usually sleeps on the floor because he gets so hot even with the A/C and a fan; last night he actually stayed in bed with me!

I guess I just didn't know "what to say" because I know with double-coated breeds like the ones mentioned before, if you shave them people can get super rude. And I get why it's not ideal to shave those dogs, I just thought Cockers were pretty routinely at least partially shaved.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 08:28:17 AM »
When my groomer asked me how I wanted Bea to look I had no idea, I just thought she would know but it's not that simple.

Bea was a very fluffy "Bear Cub" and all I could think to say was that I wanted to show her markings off and look like a proper Cocker  :005:

When I picked her up that's exactly what I got, i couldn't take my eyes off her :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 09:33:37 AM »
Well I think it is very much what you want, plus with the summer heat, and ticks etc a short coat on a dark coloured cocker is not a bad thing.
Chisums before his cut looks rather like Ollie' coat(while Ollie has a skirt) I think Chisum looks very handsome.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline IonaD

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 10:01:03 AM »
I went through the same dilemma with Bella. As a show cocker I read numerous articles about grooming and that they shouldn’t be clipped so for the first two years we followed a standard  show trim, with long feathers around the belly and legs. We also had her spayed and after this her coat did change quite significantly.

It got to the point where (like you) even with regular brushing at home she would get very knotted under her armpits and on her belly. She was repeatedly picking up grass seeds, leaves and ticks and with the long coat it was becoming very unmanageable. In the winter with the wet and the snow I also found that she would take ages to try and get large snowballs on her fur.

In March this year before we took her to the mountains I had her clipped. For us and for her it was the best decision. No more snow balls, she dried in minutes (we had a fleece on her too so she wasn’t going to get cold). We’ve continued it through the year and I don’t regret it. Coming into summer with temperatures getting up to 40 degrees here she can’t carry round the extra fur especially as she’s dark.

I absolutely agree that it is very much down to the individual and what works for you and your dog.  I think like its.sne said it’s about finding a groomer that you trust then taking in an image of what you want done and have them follow that.