Author Topic: What is hand stripping?  (Read 93159 times)

Offline angelad

What is hand stripping?
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2002, 08:08:31 PM »
Jane, perhaps we could ask a certain lady in the Newbury area who has won many grooming competitions if we could have her cast offs  

There you go Jane, theres your answer ;D

I must say though the only reason I got the other thinning scissors and not the ones you recommended was because My mum bought them for my as a birthday & christmas pressie ;D                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline Surfing Spaniel

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2003, 01:20:53 PM »
Hiya
I've not read this thread before, & as I'm starting to think Dylan is looking more like a teddy than a Cocker I thought I should find out what i have to do lol. I rushed to check his comb that i got from the breeder & yep it is a Spratts 76. My question is, is it a case of pulling the coat by hand or will this comb do the trick as an alternative. I tend to use the comb on him most of the time as the brush tickles him so much. I've got a Coat King but I think hes still a bit young for that, hes 5 1/2 months now. I've tried handstripping on his head but I feel like I'm tugging it out rather than it just coming out....is that right?                    

Offline Surfing Spaniel

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2003, 01:49:32 PM »
OK an update....I tried the Coat King & the amount of hair that came out is amazing!! :o Do you just keep going till its all out, or will he end up bald lol :-                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2003, 01:56:36 PM »
:)Wow you are so brave!!  Indie (6 months) is at the groomers at the moment being handstripped :o  I had tugged at her hair and it came out quite easily, so I knew she was ready.  

Send some piccies of when your done with Dylan :)  I might attemt Indie myself next time, once I have something to follow ;)  I was gonna keep her topknot, but changed my mind :(  Now I wish I had kept it 8)

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Surfing Spaniel

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2003, 02:01:29 PM »
I can't send any pics at the min....Dylan ate through the cable that connects the camera to the PC lol ::)
Tell you what Ive not been doing this for very long & I can see such a difference, he's going smooth! I bet you cant wait to see what Indie looks like, can you post a pic for me :)                    

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2003, 02:17:14 PM »
Surfing Spaniel, Are You intending to show Dylan?
If so don`t use the coat king. The coat must be handstripped :) If You are not going to show then it`s o.k to use the coat king till the coat stops coming out. The front of the legs and the head can be trimmed with thinning scissors. Again the head should be done by hand if You want to show.
Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Surfing Spaniel

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2003, 02:24:57 PM »
Hiya
Thanx for the reply, no I'm not intending to show him. I know the breeder did mention being careful of 'tram lines' when you use the Coat King, but he seems fine. I think Ive got a long way to go till its all out though, I'll do a bit each day, he seems to prefer this to being combed.                    

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2003, 02:40:51 PM »
You`ll certainly get more out with a coat king than You would with a comb  ;)As long as You dont dig into the coat You should get a good even finish. :)
Tracey :)                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2003, 02:45:56 PM »
II bet you cant wait to see what Indie looks like, can you post a pic for me :)  

I can't wait your right ;D  I am so excited about seeing her :D  Of course I will post before and after pictures, thats if we can get her to keep still ;)

Emma and Indie                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2003, 10:02:25 PM »
Glad you have found this thread useful and we'd love to see the results of your efforts but as this thread is 5 pages long already I am going to lock it now, so can you please start a new one when you have some pics to show us.
thanks
Michele