Author Topic: Oh dear Tessa has kennel cough  (Read 621 times)

Offline Westward

• Tessa 04/04/13
Oh dear Tessa has kennel cough
« on: September 13, 2013, 05:45:49 PM »
Just back from a break at Lake District.  She started with a cough Thursday, well more like got something stuck in her throat that wasn't forthcoming.  Sounds like a goose honking!  We came back as planned today and got a vet appt this pm.

Nice Irish vet Niamh confirmed she has kennel cough and gave her a rectal thermometer to check temp, which was fine, (not impressed).  She has no other symptoms, just the honk!  Got antibiotics and vet told me to get children's Benylin from Chemist (but not to tell them its for a dog) and give her a teaspoon 3 times a day. 

No walks or contact with other dogs for 2 weeks minimum and to contact vet if any changes.

She could have picked it up from many places, the dog walk in the field on our site, the many dog water bowls outside shops, or just by saying hello to dogs we meet.

I've not had a dog with this before, so is all her treatment the norm?
Tessa 

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Re: Oh dear Tessa has kennel cough
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 06:00:17 PM »
Yes I used Benylin, also, childrens Olbas oil on a neckerchief helps to keep airways free. Hope Tessa is feeling better :bigarmhug:
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Westward

• Tessa 04/04/13
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »
There's nothing wrong with her apart from the honk.  Appetite, energy and naughtiness are all the same! 

I'll miss the walks as well. I'm sure it was helping my weight loss!!!!
Tessa 

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 06:54:58 PM »
Poor Tessa, Benylyn chest cough children's syrup and a spoon full of honey. Hope she feels better soon.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 08:38:53 PM »
Poor Tessa, hope her nasty cough gets better very soon and she can resume her normal walkies.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »
Manila honey in ice cubes or drinking water can help to sooth the cough or frozen into a kong for atessa to link at. Hope she's feeling better soon.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
Manila honey in ice cubes or drinking water can help to sooth the cough or frozen into a kong for atessa to link at. Hope she's feeling better soon.

As supergirl says, Manuka honey is very good as it contains antiseptic properties not to mention dogs seem to love the taste !.

Please do not use Olbas oil on your dog, her nose is hundreds of times more sensitive than ours and it could be quite uncomfortable and overpowering for her.  ;)
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 09:11:10 PM »
Manuka honey.....great stuff.  :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline suespaniel

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 09:21:03 PM »
goodness it  seems to be going around as iv posted today about my wee man, but my vet didn't say not to walk Archie so long as he was on lead and kept away from other dogs, im like you he is my first dog and even though he is now 5 he has never been ill before, I hope your little girl is better soon :blink:

Offline Westward

• Tessa 04/04/13
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 07:14:01 PM »
Thank you. I did think about taking her out for a walk and not meet other dogs, but I'll keep her in and do what my vet recommends.

She's getting stir crazy already......... 
Tessa