Author Topic: worm count test  (Read 618 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
worm count test
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
I know a few on here have done this, I cant find any info though.
Riley was last wormed in August, he is horrendous at taking the tablet, no matter how I disguise he still refuses and ends up spitting it out. Its so traumatic for both of us.
Also last time the drontal had quite bad side effects. I would try another but know I will have the hassle of getting him to take it in the first place, unless it had absolutely no taste of the chemicals.

With the wormcount test do they test for all worms? and if the dog is clear does this mean no need to worm and just re do the test in a few months.
Who has tried this? thanks.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: worm count test
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
There was a thread on this earlier this year http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=102322.msg1505517#msg1505517. This has reminded me that it's time I had my two tested again, so thanks :D

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:20:48 PM »
Thanks elaine will read this.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:28:40 PM »
Jane, you could try Milbemax - it looks and smells like a treat, and Ozzy thinks it is! :005:  Drontal gave him a bad tummy when we was a pup and we've used Milbemax ever since with no ill effects at all.

Offline Bevjparkes

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »
I second that, after taking advice from here I tried Milbemax because Drontal always made Murphy sick.  He was as right as rain, and eat the tablet as if it was a treat

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:50:43 PM »
Oh so does milbemax actually taste like a treat.?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »

They call it "palatable" so, yes it is designed to taste nice - Coco just eats hers like a treat  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 07:19:06 PM »

They call it "palatable" so, yes it is designed to taste nice - Coco just eats hers like a treat  ;)

Oh I see, my vet doesnt sell it so might need to get a prescription and buy online.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »
Just had our six monthly Wormcount test results back for Milly and Chaz. Both are clear of all the normal worms and also Dog and Fox lungworm as well as French heart worm.

They're both on Advocate every month and Drontal every three months which is the standard worming/flea treatment given by our vet.

We first used Wormcount after reading the thread that was on here earlier in the year and have to say that we're very happy with their service.

Bob.

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 10:36:25 PM »

Bonnie loves her 'treat'. She has Milbemax and eats it like a treat with no side effects.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 10:46:41 PM »
Charlie is on advocet monthly and droncit every 6 months...however, he was sick last time he'd had droncit (and I'm not sure if he was the last time) - we'll try one more time just to rule out coincidence, but the worm counter might be useful for us to monitor tape worm :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 10:50:38 PM »

Oh I see, my vet doesnt sell it so might need to get a prescription and buy online.

Yep Milbemax here too, Minstrel will be starting them soon, our vet's don't do the chewables anymore - but hopefully there will be enough people (including me) who change their minds on this - if not they (puppy portions) will be mixed in with his grub if I cannot get him to take them any other way.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.