Author Topic: Fleas are a nightmare  (Read 2374 times)

Offline rubyduby

Fleas are a nightmare
« on: August 26, 2019, 08:10:54 PM »
I know we have discussed this before , but I am really struggling my dogs have both got fleas and despite trying herbal and vet spot ons we have seen no break in the numbers, the youngest dog who has  a thin coat is constantly scratching and has been for the last 6 mnths, poor soul, at a loss to know what else to try, I don't want to use spot ins or chemicals but all the so called herbal treatments, shampoos etc have been useless. Diamateous earth made no difference,nor  cider vinegar, I cant use anything in her food because she is so unpredictable with her eating she wont eat it if anything in it. I have bathed her in several different shampoos some promise to rid fleas others to relieve scratching...nothing working at all.....I know we have to clean everything and vacuum etc, but have tried that to no avail

Offline PaulJ

Re: Fleas are a nightmare
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 09:35:02 PM »
Have you tried Billy No Mates? Seems popular but I thunk it takes a while to build up defence.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 09:08:20 AM »
Not surprised to learn that herbal remedies haven't worked, but then I'm a cynical old f*rt.  But if you've tried vet spot ons with no success either, I'd be back there sharpish. 

Drastic situatons call for drastic action.  While I can sympathise with wanting to use herbal remedies the only really effective way to get rid of the ghastly blighters as quick as poss (and relieve the suffering for both dogs and you) is to bite the bullet and use an ectoparasiticide (drugs used to kill the parasites that live on the body surface) and something like Indorex to treat carpets etc.

I use a spot-on (Frontline Plus) but only during the summer months.  Treats fleas/ticks/biting lice and eggs/larvae and effective for a month or so per treatment.  Jack trails through all sorts of woodland/grass and (touch wood) has never had a problem.  Advantage is also supposed to be very quick and effective for dogs already infected but it only treats fleas.  Might be worth a go.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:32:05 AM »
I use Advantage for mine, with no problems, have tried herbals in the past and they had no affect at all.

I buy Advantage 250 on line at VETUK for £9.95 for 4 pipettes, plus £1.99 postage, does my 2 dogs for 2 months each.

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/advantage-flea-treatments-advantage-for-dogs-c-3_660_874

A dog trainer I used to know swore by garlic (would make and cook sausages with it in and use them as treats) to keep fleas at bay on her dogs.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 12:44:02 PM »
I used Johnsons clear Spot on, which is the identical chemical to frontline, she had 6 fleas on her the following day, andmore on subsequent days. I amreluctant to try any other as I used Advantage on my other Cocker and she developed pancreatitis at around the time so not sure if it is linked but too likely to be worth the risk, combed the youngest last night got 12 fleas off her and a further 9 this morning the minute we got up.....really feel like chucking a flame thrower thro the house …….

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 02:00:44 PM »
I have one who could find a tablet in a butchers shop and spit it out....
I swapped from Frontline to Advantix and had no problems - it has to be ordered at my vets and is spot on.
The only other thought is NexGard - it is a chew tab...never used but friend uses it on her dogs in the States and she lives in an area where fleas and ticks are fierce - so much that even I used to go and check myself over if I'd been walking for ticks :005:  You can buy NexGard over here one last 28 days. 
I have not used it because of Ollie's sensitive tummy - it says The most frequently reported adverse reactions include vomiting, itching, lethargy, diarrhea, and lack of appetite.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Darwin

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 08:42:38 PM »
Darwin loves his Nexguard, he always believes its an extra special treat, so much easier than using spot on treatments, which would make him pace.

You really must treat every bit of soft furnishings, curtains included. in your house where the dogs have been, as that is most likely where the fleas have made their home. So every day they’re hopping onto your two cockers, otherwise you will be unable to break the flea cycle

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 01:11:22 PM »
Yes...my concern is th eolder dog who suffers with Pancreatitis , which could have been cause by Advantage Spot-on so I am totally uncertain what is safe to use on her

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 10:22:09 PM »
Last year was our summer of fleas. Vets said frontline no use, it’s too weak. The drug companies have to advise a huge safety margin, partly to avoid litigation and partly because the dose has to treat a weight range, so eg., the 10kg dog gets the same dose as a 17kg one.
I reluctantly accepted a prescription of Simparica  monthly tablets, google has all the hysterical warnings , but the vet said he’d never had any complaints.  It worked perfectly, and room fogger sprays cleared the house.
My sons dog has Bravecto, three monthly, again no issues.  Personally I didn’t want such a long lasting  drug.
The pain is that you have to pay for a vet appointment as well as the tablets for a check up to assess if the pet is in good heath.   You mention possible pancreatitis, but the adverse side effects for these are likely to be neurological, not digestive.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 07:46:28 PM »
I used Johnsons clear Spot on, which is the identical chemical to frontline, she had 6 fleas on her the following day, andmore on subsequent days. I amreluctant to try any other as I used Advantage on my other Cocker and she developed pancreatitis at around the time so not sure if it is linked but too likely to be worth the risk, combed the youngest last night got 12 fleas off her and a further 9 this morning the minute we got up.....really feel like chucking a flame thrower thro the house …….

Frontline doesn't have a good reputation these days and I doubt the johnsons stuff was worth the money either as it would be too weak

I doubt if pancreatitis is linked to use of Advantage as problem would be neurological if there was an issue. With advantage if your dog also swims you can also reapply again and don't have to wait for end of month (read the bumf than comes with it)

I use indorex too which is good for spraying house throughout.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!