Author Topic: Jasper, funny turn while on walk  (Read 2834 times)

Offline PennyB

Jasper, funny turn while on walk
« on: August 30, 2019, 07:09:46 PM »
Jasper had what I can only describe as a funny turn on Sunday evening. Guaranteed something  like this always happens if its a bank holiday weekend when you're panicking. He could only walk/run in circle or to one side but not in a straight line then he slowly sank down to one side when he stopped - thankfully as I couldn't do anything I videoed it for my vet (where at end he stops and his feet splay a little then its as if he's struggling to keep upright as he slides in a peculiar way.

https://youtu.be/P2pQHmdxMdM

He then came over while I gathered others up to put leads on then just lay flat - something he never does (excuse his lead as he’s chewed it – he has a habit of chewing a lead while you’re waiting norty boy). He was really subdued and when I went to touch him he sort of cringed. Spoke to various vet nurses, including one who is a friend and as Jasper had rallied and emergency vets were backed up so I just crated him overnight and while he was a little subdued 1st thing he quickly came back to his normal self.

He's generally a fit dog but really worried me. My vet checked him over and took bloods (omg Jasper screamed the place down - am so used to stoic little cockers).

I also asked re lungworm so am doing a full treatment of 7 days of panacur too (and then will give him some advocate) as a precaution. Still waiting for results back from lab (for 'fits & faints', toxoplasmosis, and organ biochemistry) and Jasper went out for 1st time this week. Hoping this was a one-off.

Dog in orange harness who came to see if Jasper was OK was my emergency foster (his owner had been made homeless and couldn't take dog with him so she's being rehomed by four paws and we only had kennel space on Tuesday - she didn't stay here till she was rehomed as she was too boingy and winding everyone up - lovely girl though despite trying to imitate my little pony X a kangaroo)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Jasper, funny turn while on walk
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 08:19:27 PM »
how weird. hope its a one off and Jasper is okay
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 10:30:41 PM »
Poor lad! Do hope its nothing more than a blip and that everything‘s ok! Sending  :bigarmhug:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 11:15:40 AM »
Glad he seems to be ok....just keep an eye on him...bless him
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 01:20:31 PM »
Poor Jasper, the sypmtoms you descibe sound like a human TIA. I don't know if they affect dogs too.
Hope his is feeling better xx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »
Poor Jasper, the sypmtoms you descibe sound like a human TIA. I don't know if they affect dogs too.

They do affect dogs and while i 1st thought head injury i also thought TIA too. He's been out for longer walk today and seems fine even though i watch him like a hawk
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 01:40:02 PM »

They do affect dogs and while i 1st thought head injury i also thought TIA too. He's been out for longer walk today and seems fine even though i watch him like a hawk

If he is ok today, that would make me even more inclned to think TIA, could just be a blip then, hopefully all will be well now xx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »
Yes he is acting normally with me watching him like a hawk. Will see what vet says tomorrow. Its my vet's fault for saying to my friend his vet nurse that he hadn't seen me for a while.
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 09:49:23 PM »
Most bloods back and all normal but still waiting for toxoplasmosis.

However a friend's dog is acting strangely a bit like Jasper did. Someone has said a few dogs have been where she walks (different to me) and suggestion is magic mushrooms. Mentioned it to my vet nurse and she said it all fits really and could quite well be. We shall ask vet tomorrow
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »
Hi Penny,
How did you get on at the vets ?

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 08:23:35 PM »
All fine really and back to normal which is why my vets thinks jasper ate mushrooms and had a bad trip like friends dog did in another part of South Wales -  they were both fine within 12 hours - climate change has a lot to answer for as some stuff is in abundance
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline PaulJ

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 07:44:46 AM »
We had a similar incident on Wednesday night.

Pup behaving weird on Wednesday night. Head wobbling on shoulders like he could not support weight of head and falling over. Also walking with a stagger and sometimes falling over. Looked totally spaced out and really sleepy.

He had been eating an amount of fallen fruit when out earlier in day.

Took to vet as a precaution. Stats all normal so just a monitor and see if repeats in case it is a symptom of something else.

Perhaps fruit was fermented and he was just tipsy. Or had a special mushroom.

He slept like a log onto Wednesday night. Back to usual self from Thursday morning, like nothing ever happened.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 10:29:53 AM »
Seems to have happened to about 6 dogs in one area. I guess with mushrooms there are more about this year due to warmer winters.
Friends of Hailey Park