Author Topic: Cleaning ears with oil?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Cleaning ears with oil?
« on: September 24, 2019, 09:46:42 AM »
humphrey went for his yearly MOT yesterday. A young vet is now taking over the practice, he checked Humphrey’s ears and said there was a bit of wax in there and suggested I put a few drops of oil in there with a syringe and massage to loosen it. He‘s not showing any symptoms (apart from cocking the proverbial deaf ear now and again! :lol2:) and I‘m wondering about the wisdom of squirting oil into his ear and possibly causing trouble when we’ve never had any  problems so far, (except grass (seeds)  I often wrap a tissue round my finger now and again and wipe around the ear opening but its very rarely dirty and if there was  dirt in there, wouldn‘t oil just clog it up?
My old vet never suggested anything like that, which doesn’t necessarily have to mean much but I would be interested to hear if anyone else has any experience with using oil in this way?

Offline IonaD

Re: Cleaning ears with oil?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 11:12:43 AM »
I often give Bella’s ears a wipe when they look a little grubby with a doggy ear cleaner that is oil based. I however just put it on a cotton pad and wipe around the ear like you...it doesn’t actually go into her ear?!

I know humans can use oils to clear any ear blockages but never heard of it for dogs.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 01:34:19 PM »
Well having used Olive Oil for ears(not cooking oil!!) it's not the most pleasant sensation....I use this in UK  Clean Aural Ear Cleaner Dog

Sure if you look at it's content there is something like it in your neck of the woods

Hugs to Hump
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 09:36:08 PM »
Yep I use this one too, about 1 or two drops and find it good, altho I do have to make sure you keep head still and massage it in well...or I get a shower in the stuff, I wipe the outer ear with a piece of cotton wool to clear any excess.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 06:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies! Have looked online and I can get Clean Aural here too, so will order some.
 Thanks! :D :D

Offline Barry H

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 08:27:37 AM »
Can't see how a squirt of Castrol GTX  will help TBH. :lol:

Lots of ear cleaners available.  FWIW I use this stuff.  Good for mites, wax, itching and generally keeping ears clean.  I use it on a wet wipe with the appropriate digit.  Once a week, a generous squirt down each ear.  Jack goes mental but always has clean lugholes! (getting him to keep still long enough is another matter).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JVD5VMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »
Thanks Barry! That also looks good! Will have a look online.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 09:03:58 AM »
I use olive oil in my own ears. I have narrow ear canals, and they have a bend in them (!), and often my ear aches a bit in the morning after lying on the pillow. I have had them syringed once. I put a drop of olive oil in and it softens any wax, which works it’s way to the outside naturally, and will also bring any dirt with it. Also wonderfully soothing. Never tried it with a dog, but can't see it would hurt. Milo also had narrow ear canals and spent a fortune on ear troubles. Olive oil has been used for centuries, honey too (not for ears though!).

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo