Author Topic: Barney has 12 infected ulcers on his head/face - UPDATE (spoke too soon)  (Read 9319 times)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
My poor little Barney boy has been through the mill yesterday.  :'(

Monday night OH found a small lump on the top of Barney's head around about midnight. I wasn't unduly worried, but woke up early to check him out in case he needed to go to the vets.  He had developed a further 3 lumps on his head so I called the vets yesterday morning and made an appt for later that day.  I promptly fell asleep again.  ::)

I woke up 90 minutes later and I just could not believe my eyes. I could immediately see his left eye was almost closed and very red but as I got up close with him he had loads of open weeping sores on him, plus the lumps on top of his head had grown a lot.  Got him on the grooming table and did a closer inspection. He had 14 of the sores and 4 lumps on his head. Rang the vets back and took him straight down.

She said she'd never seen anything like it before and certainly nothing that came up so quickly in that state. She took loads of pictures of him.  Barney is in the middle of being treated for intestine problems so I knew exactly what he'd eaten and nothing could be linked there. So we're working on the assumption that its a reaction to something on his late night walk Monday night. The other three dogs were with him and they're fine and it was their usual daily walk.

Basically she's said they are ulcers that are already infected, open & weeping. She's taken a swab and sent it off to the lab in case he needs specific antibiotics to get it under control. She's given him an anti-inflammatory injection, broad spectrum antibiotics tablets and antihistermine tablets. He's also to wear a Buster collar which just made his day!

As you'd expect he's been out of sorts today, those eyes break my heart.  :'( And to top it off Morgan is frightened of Barney in the Buster collar and runs away whenever Barney moves. ::)

This morning they have dried up a bit but as my OH said he still looks like he’s done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. :’(

There are some pics below that I took earlier yesterday just before going to the vets.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to their dog? Any views or ideas?

On his neck and right by the ear hole.

His right eye and you can just make out one on his muzzle.

Left eye and again look closely on his muzzle.

View from the front, the lumps are visable on the top.

Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Poor Barney and what a fright for you  :o  That looks nasty.  Sounds like it could well be a reaction to something he has been in contact with as you say.  Hope the antibiotics do their job fast and he is feeling better soon.  :-\

Hugs to Barney and to you  :-* :-*
Julie and Watson

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
OMG the poor thing  :'( :'( :'(

wow, that is some kind of reaction, poor Barney.
Sorry I have no idea what it could be, just sending bucket loads of healing thoughts and a big hug for you too  :-*
helen & jarvis x

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Oh my word, that looks dreadful  :o  Hopefully the meds will sort him out  :luv:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Poor Barney and poor you Sam

Hope the medicine sort him out soon :luv: :-*

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
OMG poor poor Barney.  You must be beside yourself too, it's the not knowing that is horrible.

I hope he is getting better after his visit to the vets. 

Kate, Fudge (Orange Roan 11 years)

Mollie (RIP 19/11/20 aged 15 1/2 years old)
Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
Poor Barney and what a worry for you.

I hope they get to the bottom of it and the lovely boy is feeling better soon  :-*
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline Bev

• Site Member
omg hope barney is ok ..sending you all my cocker love get well soon barney

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
Oh poor Barney - they look really nasty - have never seen anything like that before.

Hope the meds work quickly and he is feeling better asap

Thinking of you and Barney  :-*  :-*

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Cazzie

O Lord poor wee man  :'( :'( It looks like an allergy to something  :-\ Gosh I hope he is better soon  :luv: :luv:

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Re: Barney has 12 infected ulcers on his head/face - Anyone have any ideas?
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 09:29:55 AM »
Wow that does look frightening, poor wee man. No ideas Im afraid just wanted to send the wee love a big kiss from me  :-*
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 09:33:05 AM »
Poor Barney, hope he gets better soon  :luv:

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 09:38:05 AM »
Oh my goodness Sam  :o :-\ That looks terrible.

doG bless Barney  :-*

I hope the antiBs get it sorted and more importantly you get to the bottom of it so it doesn't happen again.

Hope you're ok  :-*

xxxxxx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 09:48:13 AM »
 :'( Oh Barney, you poor little boy  :luv: :-*

Sam, what a shock that must have been, I can only think it's a severe reaction to something on his walk as well. It sounds like due to your prompt action in getting some treatment it is starting to improve, I do hope so.
He's in the best hands with you I know  ;) but you take care of yourself as well  :shades:

Love Jann and Flo  :luv: :-*

Offline Kimberley

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 09:55:12 AM »
Oh this reminds me of my cross lab of years ago,  she had come in contact with something on her walk, her lumps accelerated at an alarming rate, plus they were irritating her. She started to drink water and them would proceed into the garden to sick up a giant yellow water bubble, all this happened within 2 hours.

I took her immediately to the vet, he said she was dehydrating big time, he administered two injections and my instrcution was to give Glucose and water for two days, then start with a very light diet. He believed she had been in contact with a poisonous substance. Sorry no idea what injections were given its been about 15 years ago.

Kim is owned by Coco, Breeze the Cockers and Charlie the (failed foster)Cavi